SiliconDust HDHomeRun PRIME - Owner's Thread

Ask about SiliconDusts HomeRun tuners here.
optikhog

HTPC Specs: Show details

Post by optikhog » Wed Jan 23, 2013 7:53 pm

barnabas1969 wrote:Have you ever considered that companies who release firmware updates every few days might have a problem with stability? Sure, there are those that never fix problems... but then there are those whose products just work... and there's no need to release new firmware/software every week.
Yep, that can be frustrating. However, in this case, SD hasn't released a stable update since last April so no worries. I can vouch for this production release, it is stable and has fixed a few small issues.

Sjchmura

Post by Sjchmura » Thu Mar 14, 2013 12:48 am

optikhog wrote:
barnabas1969 wrote:Have you ever considered that companies who release firmware updates every few days might have a problem with stability? Sure, there are those that never fix problems... but then there are those whose products just work... and there's no need to release new firmware/software every week.
Yep, that can be frustrating. However, in this case, SD hasn't released a stable update since last April so no worries. I can vouch for this production release, it is stable and has fixed a few small issues.

How are the iPad apps? I was thinking of moving from my CETON to the HDHOMERUN....... tired needing a "dedicted" box adn love my (non cablecard HDHOMERUN).

Has anyone had good luck with the iPAD apps? DO you need to assign one of the 3 tuners?

TeddyR

Post by TeddyR » Thu Mar 14, 2013 7:39 pm

Sjchmura wrote:How are the iPad apps? I was thinking of moving from my CETON to the HDHOMERUN....... tired needing a "dedicted" box adn love my (non cablecard HDHOMERUN).

Has anyone had good luck with the iPAD apps? DO you need to assign one of the 3 tuners?

There are currently very few ipad apps for the devices.

- The Elgato HDHomeRun app: Pricy, and only works on the Prime and only for SD channels and only for ipad2. Yes. A tuner needs to be assigned to the app.
- DLNA UPNP apps: Still issues with many. Most promising for me seems to be AirPlayer; but that one has a bug that should be fixed with the next release or airplayer. ipad3 or higher works best. With most DLNA apps the issue is the MPEG2. The app will have to support transcoding it nativly in software which requires more cpu than an ipad2 has. DLNA only works for the Prime. No special tuner needs to be assigned.
- If you have a Prime or most other models: InstaTV pro. A little clunky at first, but works well on ipad2 or higher and is a better deal than the elgato software.

None of the apps currently support copy-once items.
Time is on my side.

slowbiscuit

Post by slowbiscuit » Fri Mar 15, 2013 12:01 pm

And more importantly, you can't watch DLNA HD streams on anything I've seen posted over WiFi, only wired networks. So BD players, TVs, PS3 etc. can stream HD but nothing mobile.

This will change when the new SD tuners with mpeg4 transcoding are released.

mattiedread

Post by mattiedread » Sat Mar 30, 2013 6:10 pm

I just sent my Ceton Infini 4 in for repair/replacement and hooked up a brand new SD prime.

1. The SD prime set up with one minor glitch (or, so I thought). I got a UPnP error. I have two routers, one which serves as a wireless access point and GB switch. Both routers are DLink 655 DIRs. In order to set these up using one as an access point UPnP must be disabled on the WAP. The SD Prime is hardwired into this 'router' (AP). In order to get the set up to work I enabled UPnP on the access point (also enabled on the router w/DHCP). This is in violation of the 'Using a router as an access point" instructions.

This two router set up has worked flawlessly for years until I added the Prime and switched UPnP on on the WAP router. The prime was working fine for some time, then, No Tuners Found - I believe the primary router figured out there was another device with UPnP and it didn't like something. So, off went the UPnP, and, tuners were found almost immediately (DLink has a 15 second countdown for re-booting the router/access point and I heard the live tv kick in before the countdown was over). 40 minutes after disabling the UPnP, same 'No Tuner Available' error. I've had the SD hooked up for about 24 hours and these problems have been persistent, in one case (UPnP on on the Access Point) I believe the router doesn't like and creates some havoc. In the other case, UPnP off, the tuner (or Media Center according to the SD site's forum) in the middle of a show/recording Media Center fails to find a tuner... no available tuners (one show, all three should be available). Phenomenon persists on the extenders. Multi-cast is on on both routers (and I believe it always has been). As I write this UPnP and multicast is on on both the router and the 'WAP router' - and I fully expect the tuner/media center to fail to record the two back to back 1 hour recordings (different channels -just for a test). But, I keep getting No Tuner errors, and they are corrected, at least for a brief period, by switching the status of UPnP and rebooting.

Does anyone know a fix for this? In theory, could I move the SD Tuner down to the router and Ethernet directly to the router? Or, will I still experience the same problems as the HTPC is connected to the 'WAP router"? Is there any other fix for this? Moving the tuner is not so easy and I don't have Co-Ax near the router.

And....

2. Once my Ceton is returned, how do I configure the HTPC to see both tuners? It appears as if I set up a tuner, it wipes out all other tuners? Do I need tuner salad? According to Ceton the more than 4 tuners is inherent to their firmware, so, assuming I can get the SD Prime to consistently work before the Ceton comes back, can I just hook up the Ceton (w/0 a cable card???? Or should I get a second M card).

Any insight is greatly appreciated...
mattiedread

Update: That is exactly what happened, No Tuner found, the second show began to record, but stopped 5 minutes into it, when the other tuner stopped recording (I have that record +5 min feature set up). This is driving me crazy... or, crazier.

Update 2: The 'No Tuner' appears to happen any time there is a status change, that is, a second tuner kicks in, a few minutes later, No Tuners found anywhere. Regardless of what state the WAP/router is in (PnP checked or not) changing to the other temporarily corrects the problem. I know there is a solution for this... someone else has seen/fixed this.
Last edited by mattiedread on Sat Mar 30, 2013 7:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

foxwood

Post by foxwood » Sat Mar 30, 2013 6:27 pm

mattiedread wrote:Does anyone know a fix for this? In theory, could I move the SD Tuner down to the router and Ethernet directly to the router? Or, will I still experience the same problems as the HTPC is connected to the 'WAP router"? Is there any other fix for this? Moving the tuner is not so easy and I don't have Co-Ax near the router.
Are you actually using the WAN port on this box? If you are, you probably shouldn't be - just use the LAN ports as a switch. In this configuration, UPnP on that box serves no purpose, (you should disable DHCP too, and you need to specify an appropriate IP address on this "WAP router").

mattiedread

Post by mattiedread » Sat Mar 30, 2013 7:10 pm

No, you can't use the WAN port, it is basically a switch with wireless, so, WAN wouldn't work at all. DHCP is disabled (as it has to be unless you restrict ranges on each DHCP set up, but, that is pointless).

The WAP router is 192.168.0.2, the main is .0.1 and the range on the actual router is set to not hit the 0.2 range. Again, this set up worked since the summer of 08 until I added the SD Prime.

So, I believe I'm satisfying all the concerns you raise.

However, I just had the WAP router PnP enabled, turned on an extender, tuned to CNN HD for about a minute or two, and then, boom, both TVs presented No Tuner Available. Hit the WAP router, simply turned off PnP, rebooted and within 15 seconds both TVs were operational. Exact opposite thing I did an hour ago (went from disabled PnP to enabled and 'poof', the TV tuned).

foxwood

Post by foxwood » Sat Mar 30, 2013 8:13 pm

We may be talking at cross purposes. It's just that if you're not using that box as as router, just using the switch side of it, I don't think that UPnP is going to do anything on that box. UPnP is usually used to open ports and specify NAT rules between the WAN and LAN side of a router.

mattiedread

Post by mattiedread » Sat Mar 30, 2013 8:19 pm

I agree, although I don't know as much about UPnP as you probably do.... however, every time the Viewing Conflict or No Tuner Available error pops up, changing the status and rebooting the WAP router fixes it. I tried a reboot yesterday without changing the status and it did not work.

Very strange; I'm at a complete loss.

foxwood

Post by foxwood » Sat Mar 30, 2013 8:37 pm

Apparently, this is a known issue with dLink gear.

http://www.silicondust.com/support/hdho ... cast_recv/

TeddyR

Post by TeddyR » Sat Mar 30, 2013 8:39 pm

@mattiedread:

- If you have the Ceton drivers installed, tunersalad is not needed. The latest Ceton driver updates the settings for up to 30 tuners (though I believe Ceton support only "supports" up to 12 Ceton tuners if there are issues)

- If you have ANY AV/Firewall other than Microsoft Security Essentials/Windows Defender and the Windows Firewall, uninstall them completely. Disabling is not enough. Reboot. rerun SD setup and select repair.

- Some dlink routers block multicast streams even between wired interfaces. Try toggling the "Enable Multicast Streams" option in the advanced network settings page.

- The upnp "error" on discovery of devices during setup may not actually be a real issue. In some cases it can be ignored (if everything else works that is... :-) .

- Please update to the latest FW (Currently 20130328). There are many fixes dealing with "TunerNotAvail"

- Make sure that the NIC is configured as "Private/Home". Windows default is "Public". Sometimes changing something on the network like a router or the homegroup name would cause windows to "rediscover" the interface and put it in the "Public" network.
Time is on my side.

mattiedread

Post by mattiedread » Sat Mar 30, 2013 9:25 pm

With the exception of toggling the multicast stream everything else is a go... I'll try it on the WAP router next failure... All TV's are off right now.

I just set this up yesterday (so of course I'm assuming an ID Ten T error)...
Thanks... I'm hoping I'll get it, the SD forum suggests there are a lot of problems with the 3/28 firmware, however, I just left the 'check for new software' box checked because the disk may have had very old software.

mattiedread

Post by mattiedread » Sat Mar 30, 2013 11:40 pm

I disabled the multicast on the 'WAP router', UPnP still on, and there hasn't been a failure in a few hours.... I was using all three tuners for an hour and I've been switching channels on the main TV from NCAA during commercials to numerous, including HBO Switched digital (Tuning Adapter) without a problem. I'm keeping my fingers crossed. I set up a few recordings (which have been failing) for tonight, but, so far, so good... my daughter's shows recorded (back to back 2x30 minutes). So, that is encouraging. Wife isn't celebrating just yet... if I drop Survivor she'll bum as she and the kids have quality time when they watch it.

Thank you everyone for the help. I'll post when I have a more definitive answer.... or not.

mattiedread

Post by mattiedread » Sun Mar 31, 2013 1:00 pm

Disabling multi-cast on the 'WAP' router appears to have done the trick. Overnight I scheduled multiple simultaneous recordings and all appear to have recorded without a problem (judging by the length of the recordings). But the tuner stuck to the History Channel HD for 4 hours/2 x 2 hour recording of The Bible during which it also recorded some HBO movie and several network shows, all have expected time durations.

Thank you everyone for the help, I was banging my head - Router Setting (given the vagueness of that post, linked above by foxwood, I wasn't sold on it when I first read it - so eventually I probably would have tried it but it may have been a while if not this and the post on AVS where someone came back with 'Sounds like a router setting to me').

Thanks, again,
mattiedread

Adidas4275

Post by Adidas4275 » Thu Apr 04, 2013 5:12 am

I ran into an interesting problem, i migrated from a Ceton to the Prime and it works great, but I cannot seem to get the stop command on the remote or the on screen UI to stop live tv playback.

I then installed ceton's remote app and i can hit stop on that and it work and stops playback.

anyone else have an issue with stoppling live tv playback from the HDhomerun Prime in WMC 7 32bit?

KBJ

Post by KBJ » Thu Apr 04, 2013 5:25 am

Adidas4275 wrote:I ran into an interesting problem, i migrated from a Ceton to the Prime and it works great, but I cannot seem to get the stop command on the remote or the on screen UI to stop live tv playback.

I then installed ceton's remote app and i can hit stop on that and it work and stops playback.

anyone else have an issue with stoppling live tv playback from the HDhomerun Prime in WMC 7 32bit?
I just tried it with the Adesso remote and it works fine, running WMC 7 32bit. It halts playback and puts me at the guide.

Doctor Feelgood

Post by Doctor Feelgood » Thu Apr 04, 2013 12:12 pm

I have 2 Primes and 5 Win7 MCE PCs and the stop works fine. I would doubt that your issue has anything to do with the Prime, though - most likely something in MCE.

Adidas4275

Post by Adidas4275 » Fri Apr 12, 2013 9:46 pm

yeah not sure what it was but after a day or so of use and some restarts the bug is gone...

BTW the tuner sharing with CableCard working just like my old HDHR is AMAZING!

Being able to watch Cable TV on my laptop in any room of the house or outside like i could in the analog days is wonderful!

Now I want the HDHR6 :D

sjt

Post by sjt » Sun Apr 21, 2013 1:00 pm

I just got my prime last week. I have a Co-star from Vizio. Does anyone know if the the co-star can be used with the prime, without having to use an XBOX to stream live tv to a tv that is not a smart tv?

Any help would be appreciated, I am new to this, sick of renting the DVR boxes from the cable company.

signcarver

Post by signcarver » Sun Apr 21, 2013 11:05 pm

Before you attempt trying to get the costar to work, consider who your provider is. If its not comcast or verizon, you probably wouldn't receive much programming as most other companies have everything marked as copy once which though DLNA/DTCP-IP will be allowed to view, finding something that is DTCP-IP capable is rather hard in the US... a few phones have it built in, a couple of smart TVs, and supposedly powerdvd 13 and of course the ps/3 but the dlna interface is still terrible ... I have to press the down arrow at least 200 times before I get to any channel I want to view on one of my devices. The way you are asking this question, it sounds like you have so little knowledge, that WMC and WMC extenders would be the best solution for you as getting it to work otherwise would require much research on your part, not just asking even where to begin. I would suggest starting (reading, not posting again) with the project connect section over on SDs forum. Look at getting to make a raspberry pi and xbmc working as well as looking at the android sections. I would also look at the linux/myth sections to show how things other than wmc can use the prime. The biggest problem with the SD forum is it is not an archive of everything done previously, so many topics are no longer viewable but may be available in some search site's cache. For now, forget the costar (unless you can try and download another video app) as currently it doesn't work but you may wish to report the bug to vizio so they may put some effort into getting it fixed.

Did you read the link to the thread I told you to read over on the SD forums... I reread that thread and though the guy didn't use wireshark to verify it (as a made a comment about to you on your first post over there), the prime itself in its log stated it received the range request which as a certified device it must reject it since the content is not seekable ... so until vizio (or whoever provides the basic video app for it -Google?) fixes this bug you are out of luck using their video app... I'm not sure if there are other apps you can download for it that will work as you could for other android devices, though I don't have a costar, my other vizio products have tended to lock me into their apps. Though generally used for transcoding, some have used programs on the PC to connect to the prime or ceton and then use it to stream to other devices and even to devices outside of the house. For those here that may not have seen the link to that thread and the link to the reason why over at xbmc: Thread, Ticket at XBMC By the way, I believe I read it did work until the latest update so perhaps you could downgrade your costar to a previous release.

If you want to tinker and play with it go right ahead but for at least another year or two it isn't practical for most people. The best and easiest way is still WMC and WMC extenders if you have any protected content. A few more options exist for non-protected content but most of those tend to make you work at getting it somewhat acceptable and though you may feel great joy and pride in your accomplishments, others in the house will probably not see it and demand you stick with the STBs or get a TiVo. At least with WMC one has a "chance" of getting the "WAF" approval.