Resuming from sleep - network issues

Eckless

HTPC Specs: Show details

Resuming from sleep - network issues

Post by Eckless » Sun Mar 24, 2013 4:55 pm

WOL (Wake on LAN) works on my machine. I'm thrilled.

One problem left -- when my computer comes out of S3 sleep, the internet connection is slow to get past "Identifying..." phase. It takes about 30 seconds to get to "Connected".

This becomes annoying because when I try to use my Xbox extender to get to my WMC, it gets stuck on "Finding PC..." and eventually gives me the "try again?" screen.

Eventually, my computer gets its internet connection and the Xbox extender goes on its way.

But is there a way to trim down that 30 second delay? Windows 7 didn't have this problem.

I have two NICs in my computer (one Intel PCIE card, another on-board Realtek) and switching to a different NIC didn't solve the problem. I also don't have this problem when turning the computer on "from scratch" (compared to "from sleep").

Any ideas?

Thank you!
Eckless

Tester

Post by Tester » Sun Mar 24, 2013 11:12 pm

Have U tried to manually assign a network IP and your provider's DNS IPs ? This helps me to get my nics to quickly sync.
Although I have win8 on a temporary setup, I have not seen this issue so not sure why there is such difference between 7 and 8.

foxwood

Post by foxwood » Mon Mar 25, 2013 2:03 am

I'd also try disabling IPv6, to see if that makes a difference.

barnabas1969

Post by barnabas1969 » Mon Mar 25, 2013 2:51 pm

I had this problem once. It turned out to be a failing network switch.

Eckless

Post by Eckless » Tue Mar 26, 2013 1:07 am

Thank you for the suggestions!

Turns out Tester's solution got me where I needed to be -- I assigned a static IP address on my computer (not "assign the computer's IP address" via my router, which I had been doing)...I don't quite understand the difference, but it works now.

Again, thank you all for the suggestions!
Eckless