Ceton InfiniTV Repair DRM PlayReady

Ask fellow members about Ceton's infiniTV tuners here.
Forum rules
Ceton no longer participate in this forum. Official support may still be handled via the Ceton Ticket system.
Crash2009

HTPC Specs: Show details

Ceton InfiniTV Repair DRM PlayReady

Post by Crash2009 » Fri Aug 31, 2012 10:12 pm

Recently I installed a new CPU and Video card. Everything dropped in pretty smooth. I think it only took an hour. I had read somewhere that sometimes you break the DRM when you install new hardware. Well, that is exactly what happened to me.

I am going to write this in several posts so that I can add a few screenshots of the symptoms and the fix.

Crash2009

Post by Crash2009 » Fri Aug 31, 2012 10:30 pm

I first noticed something was wrong when I first opened WMC's Live TV in windowed mode. The Weather Channel 245 gave me a "Display driver error The video playback device does not support playback of protected content". When I maximized the window, the channel played OK. Minimized the window back to windowed mode and it continued to play. Sometimes for several hours, then it would just stall and stop.

I got a different error while trying to play protected content. Update PlayReady "The PlayReady update was incomplete. You will not be able to watch or record protected content until the update is successful" When you click Yes to, Do you want to try again? It just gives you the incomplete error over and over.
Attachments
DRM002.jpg
DRM003.jpg
Last edited by Crash2009 on Fri Aug 31, 2012 11:20 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Crash2009

Post by Crash2009 » Fri Aug 31, 2012 10:41 pm

Did some reading out there that suggested that I should upgrade the video card driver, then there was some HDCP compliance issues that it could be, then I opened a support ticket with our friends over at Ceton. Their diagnosis was that the DRM was broken as a result of changing the hardware. Because of this PlayReady was unable to update, and the end result was Copy once channels were not going to play.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2392252

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/944994
Last edited by Crash2009 on Sat Sep 01, 2012 12:54 am, edited 1 time in total.

Crash2009

Post by Crash2009 » Fri Aug 31, 2012 10:51 pm

Here are the directions to reset DRM. See the bold part YOU WILL LOSE ACCESS TO ANY PREVIOUSLY RECORDED PROTECTED CONTENT. Doesn't really matter to me as all of that was lost before I got to this point.

Microsoft PlayReady can be very problematic to troubleshoot. Below is our best suggestion for fixing PlayReady, but you will lose access to any previously recorded protected content.

a. Uninstall PlayReady from the 'Programs and Features'

b. Enable the explorer to show hidden files and folders. To do this go to Windows Explorer > Tools > Folder Options > View tab > Show hidden files, folders and drivers

c. Go to %ProgramData%\Microsoft\ and delete the PlayReady folder.

d. Go to %ProgramData%\Microsoft\ and delete the DRM folder.

e. Go to %ProgramData%\Microsoft\Windows\DRM and delete all files and folders underneath (don't delete the DRM directory itself)

f. Open the registry with elevated privileges. To do so, click Start, click All Programs, click Accessories, right-click Command Prompt and then point to “Run as administrator”. In the command prompt that opens, type regedit.exe.

g. Go to HKLM\Software\Microsoft and delete the DRM key.

h. Run the ResetDRM tool. See http://www.cetoncorp.com/support/index. ... ady-issues

i. Restart the computer.

j. Run Windows Media Center setup again

k. Run the PlayReady install from inside Media Center

If you have any questions or continue to have problems please let us know.

Thank you,
Ceton Support

Crash2009

Post by Crash2009 » Fri Aug 31, 2012 11:03 pm

This is the step that I missed the first time around. I read some article somewhere that said it wasn't necesary, but for me it was.

So you go to the microsoft site and download this little test file and try to play it. Then you right click ResetDRM and go to properties, then Compatibility, check Run the program in compatibility mode for (in my case) Windows 7, then check Run this program as an administrator, follow the prompts and you are done. Test the Microsoft test file, it should play some music.
Attachments
DRM010.jpg
DRM008.jpg
DRM004.jpg
Last edited by Crash2009 on Fri Aug 31, 2012 11:24 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Crash2009

Post by Crash2009 » Fri Aug 31, 2012 11:14 pm

Go into WMC, TV SIGNAL, and Update PlayReady. Then test a protected channel. Success.

What a PITA. all this for a Phenom. Was it worth it? You bet.
Attachments
DRM018.jpg
DRM017.jpg
DRM015.jpg

fiteclub

Post by fiteclub » Sat Mar 09, 2013 4:59 am

I just replaced my GPU and am now getting this error. I did not replace any other hardware. I use a component video connection so HDCP should not be an issue. My Nvidia 9800GT died and I had to replace with a 7600 GT that a friend had lying around. (most new video cards don't have component out anymore). Everything works fine except getting this error: "Display driver error The video playback device does not support playback of protected content" on protected Live TV and recordings. I did not think a video card change would break DRM; am I wrong?

Edit: Interesting clue; I can play all protected content just fine with the Echo extender.

Oh, and all video drivers are up to date.

signcarver

Post by signcarver » Sat Mar 09, 2013 2:21 pm

Any hardware change can break playready but your problem seems to be that you are using component which will not play protected content with WMC as it is not HDCP compliant.

fiteclub

Post by fiteclub » Sat Mar 09, 2013 3:17 pm

signcarver wrote: your problem seems to be that you are using component which will not play protected content with WMC as it is not HDCP compliant.
Actually it will, I have been doing it for the last 2.5 years. HDCP does not apply to high def analog output like component out at 1080i. But I agree, the system is behaving like it thinks it should not be allowed to send video to the card even though I am not using the non compliant DVI output.
Last edited by fiteclub on Sun Mar 10, 2013 4:28 am, edited 1 time in total.

Crash2009

Post by Crash2009 » Sat Mar 09, 2013 3:49 pm

fiteclub wrote:I just replaced my GPU and am now getting this error. I did not replace any other hardware. I use a component video connection so HDCP should not be an issue.
Non-compliance doesn't make you compliance-exempt. Unless you can figure out a way to trick-_ _ _ _ it. Might be less hassle to comply. My little trip down the Playready Highway was very discouraging. For me, Playready adjustments were the beginning of the end.

fiteclub

Post by fiteclub » Sat Mar 09, 2013 4:57 pm

Crash2009 wrote:
fiteclub wrote:I just replaced my GPU and am now getting this error. I did not replace any other hardware. I use a component video connection so HDCP should not be an issue.
Non-compliance doesn't make you compliance-exempt. Unless you can figure out a way to trick-_ _ _ _ it. Might be less hassle to comply. My little trip down the Playready Highway was very discouraging. For me, Playready adjustments were the beginning of the end.
OK, Crash, then explain why my old Gigabyte GV-NX66128DP worked just fine at displaying protected content over component out (1080i) in the very same system? It is not HDCP compliant either.

fiteclub

Post by fiteclub » Sat Mar 09, 2013 5:48 pm

Well, did some more testing. If I reboot, open WMC, and try to display protected channels then all works well. If I close and then reopen WMC and try to display protected content I get the error. I can change to other protected channels and they work, but if I switch to an unprotected channel and then back to protected, I get the error. Some protected recordings will play after reboot but others do not; but once a playback fails, nothing will playback even ones that previously did. Don't know what all this means but maybe a reinstall of display drivers or going back to older display driver version should be tried. Any suggestions? I am confident this is NOT because the video card is non HDCP compliant. I have used other non compliant cards before and never had issues.

Crash2009

Post by Crash2009 » Sat Mar 09, 2013 8:34 pm

fiteclub wrote:OK, Crash, then explain why my old Gigabyte GV-NX66128DP worked just fine at displaying protected content over component out (1080i) in the very same system? It is not HDCP compliant either.
Beats me, what you did to your computer. Do the same thing to the new card.

fiteclub

Post by fiteclub » Sat Mar 09, 2013 9:08 pm

Crash2009 wrote:
fiteclub wrote:OK, Crash, then explain why my old Gigabyte GV-NX66128DP worked just fine at displaying protected content over component out (1080i) in the very same system? It is not HDCP compliant either.
Beats me, what you did to your computer. Do the same thing to the new card.
Brilliant

fiteclub

Post by fiteclub » Sun Mar 10, 2013 1:19 pm

Anyone know why this link that Crash posted earlier in this thread does not work anymore? It just takes you to an Xbox support page. It is supposed to link to a microsoft KB page describing the max resolutions allowed on extenders and in WMC for different video configurations.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/944994

Crash2009

Post by Crash2009 » Sun Mar 10, 2013 4:10 pm

It's been awhile since I dealt with this subject, I think that link used to take you to this page......

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2392252/de

richard1980

Post by richard1980 » Sun Mar 10, 2013 4:35 pm

No, there was another KB article titled "Describes the maximum resolutions that are supported to view or to record content in Xbox 360 or in Windows Vista Media Center." It had a chart that lists the various connection types and the maximum supported resolution for those connection types. I remember this clearly because there were typographical errors WRT resolution (IIRC, the article claimed 520,000 pixels was 520p, or something like that...whatever it was, it was wrong.)

But it looks like that article is no longer available.

fiteclub

Post by fiteclub » Sun Mar 10, 2013 8:54 pm

Richard, you are right, I found a copy of the note at this link on Lenovo's website: http://esupport.lenovo.com/mss/mss.pl?d ... d=OTQ0OTk0

No idea why it is no longer available, but it does show that I should be getting full 1080i over component video in WMC (unless the ICT flag is set and AFAIK, it is almost never used on cable content). Don't even think it is used on BR yet.

Alien98

Post by Alien98 » Sun Apr 06, 2014 6:23 am

This fix worked great for me.......until my computer went to sleep and now the issue is right back. Could it be related to teamviewer?

mldenison

Post by mldenison » Sun Apr 06, 2014 4:00 pm

I've read that TeamViewer can cause the issue.

I don't have TeamViewer but lately on my Echo's I get a PlayReady update message which instructs me to update PlayReady on my HTPC. Yet there is no message on the HTPC in WMC.

On another note, I set up my other two PC's on my home network for WMC tuner pooling with my HTPC and its two ETH's.

Both PC's fail at Updating PlayReady. I've tried everything found via Google for removing PlayReady and resetting the DRM.

I always get the same error when setting them up again.

I hate PlayReady.