Spinner waiting for Recorded TV to start

Talk with fellow members about Ceton's Media Center Extender.
Forum rules
Ceton no longer participate in this forum. Official support may still be handled via the Ceton Ticket system.
warpster

HTPC Specs: Show details

Spinner waiting for Recorded TV to start

Post by warpster » Sat Feb 02, 2013 4:59 am

I've been having problems (randomly) starting recorded tv programs since the 2013.129.1538 firmware. Now the one difference is that my recording directory has 519 recordings in it right now. Trying to play something from that source I maybe get a 30% success rate, most of the time the little spinner starts and continues spinning forever, I can move around in the menus, attempt to play another recording but the spinner stays till I power off the Echo. I have connected to other shares on other WMC PCs and have not had an issue playing from these sources or going the other direction playing recordings from the Echo host on other machines so the recordings themselves are fine. Just now I had the issue and so I powered down (remote) the Echo and upon turning it back on it took about 1 minutes to get its IP address....I've never seen that before so maybe that is where my problem was with the network connection being dropped???? I'm suggesting the Echo dropped it not my switch...

Motz

Post by Motz » Sat Feb 02, 2013 5:08 am

Where are all of your recordings stored on?

Are they on the local PC or are they on remote shares on a server somewhere? Perhaps an issue with sharing, or do they start sometimes and not other times?
I Write, Code, and Tweet

warpster

Post by warpster » Sat Feb 02, 2013 5:22 am

They are stored on an internal sata raid 10 4TB array and I don't have any problems playing the recordings from other WMC PCs. Earlier tonight when I ran into the issue and had to powered off/on the Echo and after the Echo came back up I went to try the same recording again and it played right away so ??? It's just that I normally play recordings from this source and it was working in fact I don't think I ever saw this issue before this beta?? I will keep track from here on out. I also regularly play recordings from this share from the bedroom PC since this is my main recording server and I have not seen this issue there.

warpster

Post by warpster » Sat Feb 02, 2013 5:45 am

As an aside....In the share where I have the 519 recordings the thumbnails show for any shows that are copy-freely or copy-once and recorded on this PC. Any of the copy-once shows (I'm on TimeWarner so a lot are) that were recorded on another WMC PC (I transfer files to this share from other MC PCs) show a blank thumbnail. This is just an observation I don't know how this should look on an extender on the PC they all have the picture in the thumbnail and none are blank. Never mind, they look the same on the Echo as they do on the host PC...

Sammy2

Post by Sammy2 » Sun Feb 03, 2013 12:08 am

My Recorded TV library is mostly blank thumbnails on the host WMC and the echo WMC. Is there something I should have enabled to get the thumbnails to show in the host PC/WMC?

Sammy2

Post by Sammy2 » Sun Feb 03, 2013 2:33 am

I came across this issue today and put it in the tracker as Bug # 551.

All my recordings are on my HTPC.

Sammy2

Post by Sammy2 » Sun Feb 03, 2013 2:39 am

Just sent diag log.

capture ID is 90:00:92

fiteclub

Post by fiteclub » Sun Feb 03, 2013 1:51 pm

Sammy2 wrote:I came across this issue today and put it in the tracker as Bug # 551.

For clarity, is the issue that you are referring to the one mentioned in this thread by the OP?

Sammy2

Post by Sammy2 » Sun Feb 03, 2013 3:23 pm

fiteclub wrote:
Sammy2 wrote:I came across this issue today and put it in the tracker as Bug # 551.

For clarity, is the issue that you are referring to the one mentioned in this thread by the OP?
Yes.

Sammy2

Post by Sammy2 » Sun Feb 03, 2013 5:14 pm

Not experiencing this issue today thus far?

JohnW248

Post by JohnW248 » Mon Feb 04, 2013 9:47 pm

warpster wrote:As an aside....In the share where I have the 519 recordings the thumbnails show for any shows that are copy-freely or copy-once and recorded on this PC. Any of the copy-once shows (I'm on TimeWarner so a lot are) that were recorded on another WMC PC (I transfer files to this share from other MC PCs) show a blank thumbnail. This is just an observation I don't know how this should look on an extender on the PC they all have the picture in the thumbnail and none are blank. Never mind, they look the same on the Echo as they do on the host PC...
I have found with a large library (and this applies to all extenders) that it takes "a while" for the cover art or thumbnails to generate from servers or other computers. On boot with an extender, I can go to live tv and play immediately or I can go to recorded tv and anthing that is on the local Recorded TV drives for the host will show up, however it can take up to 45 minutes for all the "shared" recordings to count up on the shared tab and even longer before the thumbnails will appear. Now I probably have an extreme case, as of right now, Media Center is showing a total of 8090 Recorded TV shows, there are an additional 1500 or so movies on a couple of servers that are Raid 5. I have moved some TV shows to NAS but only CCI 0x00 programs (also on TWC so that's mainly local stations, network). Adding those locations to Media Center will have then display in the main Recorded TV but thumbnails for say "car 54" season 1 & 2 will take some time before they will display but you can play them immediately.

As for no thumbnails at all, there was a registry "repair" for missing tv thumbnails over at the old green button. This worked on a friends computer that lost all of his tv thumbnails. It was a win7 64 sp 1 machine Save this as a text file and then change the end to ".reg" and then you can run it by clicking on the file.
----START---- (Do not include start or end and no line feed ahead of Windows Registry Editor)

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.WTV]
"PerceivedType"="video"
@="MediaCenter.WTVFile"
"MP2.Last"="Custom"

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.WTV\OpenWithProgIds]
"WMP.WTVFile"=hex(0):

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.WTV\ShellEx]

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.WTV\ShellEx\{BB2E617C-0920-11D1-9A0B-00C04FC2D6C1}]
@="{713790EE-5EE1-45ba-8070-A1337D2762FA}"

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.WTV\ShellEx\{E357FCCD-A995-4576-B01F-234630154E96}]
@="{713790EE-5EE1-45ba-8070-A1337D2762FA}"

---END---

Sammy2

Post by Sammy2 » Mon Feb 04, 2013 10:38 pm

Does that work on a Win7x86 machine?

JohnW248

Post by JohnW248 » Mon Feb 04, 2013 11:56 pm

It probably does, but I haven't tested it on a 32 bit operating system. So I'd recommend that you open regedit and first export the full registry (file/export) and put it in a folder in back up as registry back-up and name the file with today's date. Then you can run your change. If it messes up anything, all you have to do is open regedit and IMPORT your saved file and reboot and it'll put your machine back where it was fifteen minutes ago.

It's not a bad habit to save an export of the registry once a month--wish I had such a good habit, but perhaps before you run Win Updates you could save the registry.