Silverlight jitter on LoveFilm

Cafe.Racer

HTPC Specs: Show details

Silverlight jitter on LoveFilm

Post by Cafe.Racer » Fri Jan 18, 2013 4:19 pm

Alright MCE'ers,long time, no speak.40-66

The Mrs has found out that LoveFilm do streaming, and thinks it's great. Except it's jittery and "jumpy" on this PC (7MC 32bit, ASUS E35M1 - Pro, 4gb. 60Mb cable, speedtests at 40-66Mb). Hardware acceleration is turned on, bt doesn't seem to do much.

I've just been searching around and found this link, I thought it useful for diagnosing - this really shows what Silverlight can do, and it's impressed me:

http://www.iis.net/media/experiencesmoothstreaming1080p

This plays smooth for me, dropping he bitrate when it needs to to keep the playback smooth. Lovefilm doesn't do this - is there something wrong with the way LoveFilm have implemented Silverlight?

If you slide the slider to throttle the downoad speed, that video reduces in bitrate with no loss of smoothness.

Got to be something wrong at LoveFilm's end?
On my system, the

Cafe.Racer

Post by Cafe.Racer » Fri Jan 18, 2013 4:41 pm

Sorry about the bad formatting - batteries were running out on the wireless keyboard.

Ive just jumped on my laptop (i5) and it's playing the above link, AND an Instant movie without either suffering.

I also noticed that the downloading bitrate on the 7MC was bouncing around 1500-2040, whereas this laptop is showing 2750kbps. Laptop is wireless, 7MC box is wired... 2040kbps is equivalent to 3Mb connection isn't it?

bobbob

Post by bobbob » Fri Jan 18, 2013 5:39 pm

What player do you use for love film? I use mcelovefilm from milliesoft and I can't say I've noticed what you are describing

Cafe.Racer

Post by Cafe.Racer » Fri Jan 18, 2013 6:18 pm

bobbob wrote:What player do you use for love film? I use mcelovefilm from milliesoft and I can't say I've noticed what you are describing
Both the website and milliesoft's app do it (I will check that) - I guess it gets the stream the same way.

bobbob

Post by bobbob » Fri Jan 18, 2013 7:41 pm

no, there's no noticeable jitter for me, i wouldn't say it was perfect but pretty close. i have a similar setup and connection speed and tried it in both the browser and MCE love film. If there's anything else i can let you know, let me know

Cafe.Racer

Post by Cafe.Racer » Sat Jan 19, 2013 2:36 pm

bobbob wrote:no, there's no noticeable jitter for me, i wouldn't say it was perfect but pretty close. i have a similar setup and connection speed and tried it in both the browser and MCE love film. If there's anything else i can let you know, let me know
Cheers Bob. Googling it, there seems to be a few people with the same board with the same issue - plays all other HD content fine, but jitters on LoveFilm. Looks like people used to have it on Netflix, but they fixed something.

I'm still wondering about that bitrate thing - why is the HTPC getting lower bitrates than PCs on wireless, and a wired PC that is further away. I've tried different cables and ports and stuff.

But, I'm wondering about drivers etc for the HTPC. How similar is your setup Bob? What board do you have?

Cafe.Racer

Post by Cafe.Racer » Thu Jan 24, 2013 6:16 pm

Looks to be CPU related, maybe not using acceration on this APU based bored. I will look for mobo/catalyst updates, but having no luck atm