Any particular reason to turn the echo off?

Talk with fellow members about Ceton's Media Center Extender.
Forum rules
Ceton no longer participate in this forum. Official support may still be handled via the Ceton Ticket system.
Cryofax

HTPC Specs: Show details

Any particular reason to turn the echo off?

Post by Cryofax » Wed Jan 09, 2013 7:26 pm

The echo takes maybe 40-45 seconds to go from OFF to live TV. But of course if its already ON, just a few moments. So is there any reason to not just push STOP to halt the video stream and leave the echo turned on all the time to avoid the boot up?

foxwood

Post by foxwood » Wed Jan 09, 2013 8:27 pm

Cryofax wrote:The echo takes maybe 40-45 seconds to go from OFF to live TV. But of course if its already ON, just a few moments. So is there any reason to not just push STOP to halt the video stream and leave the echo turned on all the time to avoid the boot up?
I leave my DMA2100 on all the time.

mikbro

Post by mikbro » Wed Jan 09, 2013 10:27 pm

I thought about this as well, but in earlier fw revisions the tv wouldn't sync HDCP correctly with the echo if the echo were left on and the tv turned off. They seem to have fixed this, at least for me.

Not sure, but wouldn't leaving the echo on cause the MCE server not to go to sleep? Not an issue if your MCE is always on anyway, but for those that sleep theirs it could be.

fiteclub

Post by fiteclub » Thu Jan 10, 2013 2:44 am

mikbro wrote:I thought about this as well, but in earlier fw revisions the tv wouldn't sync HDCP correctly with the echo if the echo were left on and the tv turned off. They seem to have fixed this, at least for me.
This issue still affects me if live tv is playing on an encrypted channel. I don't have the problem with clear QAM content.

BangBang

Post by BangBang » Thu Jan 10, 2013 5:15 am

Not quite fixed completely for some of us. If echo is left on and tv turned off then the tv screen comes up green when tv is turned on

tlamot01

Post by tlamot01 » Thu Jan 10, 2013 5:30 pm

If you have a Harmony or similar macro-enabled remote, add the stop button to the off sequence. This works very well for me. Mine stops the current media, then displays the guide. TV shuts off and so far on the 1219 FW, I have not had the green screen HDMI thing that I had for a while on older F/W. My Echo stays on as long as possible as I can't describe how annoying the lack of responsiveness is when it is power-cycled.
Remember that if you do choose to turn it off, setting the 'LiveTV' option in the Echo settings is the best way to go. It takes roughly 30 seconds to see a TV signal. Perfect for the morning news. Now if they could only include an automatic on/off timer in the Echo settings along with TV power control through HDMI-CEC...

aeblank

Post by aeblank » Thu Jan 10, 2013 10:33 pm

I have been considering starting to turn my xboxes off so mce will reboot nightly (i think that is what the optimization checkbox does, anyway).