HTPC local + 1 extender vs Server + 2 extenders

Troubleshoot and discuss the XBOX 360, XBOX One, Linksys, and other extenders.
Cryofax

HTPC Specs: Show details

HTPC local + 1 extender vs Server + 2 extenders

Post by Cryofax » Sat Dec 15, 2012 8:41 pm

Hopefully the title captures what I'm getting at.

I have an HTPC that is used as a desktop, but also on an extended screen (HDTV) it shows WMC and live tv/recordings etc. Works fine. I am thinking of adding an extender to our bedroom.

Purely from a computer resource usage standpoint, what is easier on the host HTPC? Two extenders with the WMC simply running minimized, or keeping the HTPC directly controlling one TV and using only 1 extender. I realize the HTPC direct experience is a little better but I am purely wondering if the HTPC itself will be less taxed if it isn't directly displaying WMC on a TV itself and I use an additional extender instead.

choliscott

Post by choliscott » Sat Dec 15, 2012 10:10 pm

You might want to list your computer configuration & what you normally do on your computer & any other background apps running (i.e. Do you have DvrMsToolbox running in the background scanning for commercials?, etc). Most people would recommend to use a dedicated PC for Media Center, since alot of us like to tinker with the Media Center setup.

I believe one of the main reasons that people will use an HTPC directly on one of their tv's is to save on the cost of an extender. Why spend another $100-$200 if you already have something that will work just fine.

As far as which method is less taxed, others would have to comment, as I have a dedicated box. However I will use it as a 2nd pc & I will say so far, I haven't seen any performance issues between having WMC opened or not opened.

richard1980

Post by richard1980 » Sun Dec 16, 2012 12:29 am

There is a slight bit of additional overhead required to use an extender because the extender actually starts an additional user session on the host PC. The additional overhead isn't much, and shouldn't create a noticeable difference one way or the other.

Additionally, the use of the extender will create additional network traffic, whereas that network traffic won't exist if you just connect the PC directly to the TV. Obviously you'd have to evaluate your current network setup to determine whether or not the additional traffic would cause issues.

Cryofax

Post by Cryofax » Sun Dec 16, 2012 3:19 am

Ah okay thank you for the feedback. By the way the machine is an Opteron 180 (Dual core 2.4ghz), with 4gb Dual Channel RAM, 8800gts 512, InfiniTV4. It runs the local WMC program flawlessly even while being used for various things as a desktop (even photoshop at times). I do have an XBox 360 slim extender on it already but its rarely used. I am considering an Echo in the bedroom if they work out the kinks and add Android. I'm also considering a NextPVR backend with XMBC "extenders" on android devices. Always tweaking and trying this or that lol. At one point I had 2 geforce 210s in the machine with BeTwin creating two "separate" PCS in one PC (one on the TV with WMC and the other the desktop). Just upgraded the machine from an FX-57 CPU (single core 2.8ghz. Dual has made a big difference).

Crash2009

Post by Crash2009 » Sun Dec 16, 2012 2:11 pm

Here are the suggested system requirements for running extenders. http://cetoncorp.com/product-support/ Click on FAQ. My shortcut didn't work as I intended.

Cryofax

Post by Cryofax » Sun Dec 16, 2012 7:50 pm

Crash2009 wrote:Here are the suggested system requirements for running extenders. http://cetoncorp.com/product-support/ Click on FAQ. My shortcut didn't work as I intended.
I've seen that. Seems like I'd be okay. Its very unlikely I'd have local TV + 2 extenders + someone on the machine at the same time. Most likely scenario is any 2 of those things at once. But even if I did have them all going I think it would be alright. I'm a little short on memory (the board's max is 4gb so no option there). It says 2.7ghz processor and mine is 2.4 but I doubt it's a big deal. I could overclock it easily past 2.7 but probably won't bother unless there is a performance issue.

Crash2009

Post by Crash2009 » Mon Dec 17, 2012 12:41 am

What motherboard do you have?

Cryofax

Post by Cryofax » Thu Dec 20, 2012 9:12 pm

Crash2009 wrote:What motherboard do you have?
Gigabyte K8N Ultra SLI (939 socket)

Cryofax

Post by Cryofax » Mon Dec 24, 2012 6:15 am

UPDATE : Well I added one XBox 360 extender to the setup. And I must say I am impressed. The Xbox interface, speed, and playback is virtually identical to the local playback of the HTPC (i.e. flawless).

The main problem I've run into now is if you use the computer for double duty (HTPC + Normal computer use) the focus just keeps getting thrown around. I thought the CETON companion program could just update WMC in the background but certain commands give focus to WMC, which messes with the person on the computer. Or causes other weird behavior. I think I'm headed for a dedicated HTPC.

SinisterEngr

Post by SinisterEngr » Mon Jan 07, 2013 1:39 am

Just curious - you seem very satisfied with your first extender, why not just add a second one rather than a dedicated HTPC? It would certainly be cheaper and you would still only have to maintain a single PC. There are, of course, plenty of things that an extender can't do that an HTPC can, but I get the feeling your focus is live/recorded TV which, as you've experienced, is pretty much a flawless experience on an extender.

asm495

Post by asm495 » Mon Jan 07, 2013 8:18 am

I personally just use Xbox 360 extenders with the HTPC as a server sitting in the garage with all the storage attached on 24/7. I don't have any issues with this configuration. As the extenders are not on all the time the rooms are kept quiet and there are no issues with resuming from standby etc. to deal with. I used to have a dedicated HTPC attached to the TV and I'm not sure I would go down this path again.

adam1991

Post by adam1991 » Mon Jan 07, 2013 11:07 am

asm495 wrote:I personally just use Xbox 360 extenders with the HTPC as a server sitting in the garage with all the storage attached on 24/7. I don't have any issues with this configuration. As the extenders are not on all the time the rooms are kept quiet and there are no issues with resuming from standby etc. to deal with. I used to have a dedicated HTPC attached to the TV and I'm not sure I would go down this path again.
If my TV did Netflix natively, or if I went ahead and bought a Roku for it, I tend to agree with this. Netflix is the only reason I can see (after 18 months in to my first HTPC/DVR project here) for my requiring the HTPC itself to be connected to the TV. Otherwise I'd have it in the basement by itself.

Oh, maybe I exaggerate--I would miss flipping over to show the family some stuff on Youtube. But if that went away, I'd just show them on the laptop.

If the Echo ever gets a workable Netflix implementation, I'll probably go that route.

Cryofax

Post by Cryofax » Mon Jan 07, 2013 8:22 pm

SinisterEngr wrote:Just curious - you seem very satisfied with your first extender, why not just add a second one rather than a dedicated HTPC? It would certainly be cheaper and you would still only have to maintain a single PC. There are, of course, plenty of things that an extender can't do that an HTPC can, but I get the feeling your focus is live/recorded TV which, as you've experienced, is pretty much a flawless experience on an extender.
This is definitely an option. If you look at my initial post that was part of my inquiry (extra extender vs local machine for HTPC workload). That would be 3 extenders altogether (2 used regularly and 1 rarely used) while the same PC could be used as a normal PC. I'm not sure the PC would deal well with that workload though (see specs in above post). I could replace it and sell the old one. I just ordered an Echo so it really depends a lot on how happy I am with that unit. If it works as well or close to as well as my Xbox I'll go that route (i.e. get another echo and stop using the PC for live TV playback).

Cryofax

Post by Cryofax » Wed Jan 09, 2013 4:50 am

Received my echo and it is working perfectly. I held my breath as I tested it out, knowing people had issues, but I guess I got on board at the right firmware update because it works just as well as my XBox 360. About the only difference is the framerate of the menus. It works just as fast, but the animation is choppy. Response time and playback are great. So I think in the end I'll go with 2 echos and the 360 and not do any direct feed from the HTPC. I'll have to get some better remotes. I'm holding off on adding a roku or newer bluray player in case the echo gets android in the next few months and can handle the netflix/hulu duties.

TheOsburnFamil

Post by TheOsburnFamil » Wed Jan 09, 2013 11:31 pm

I think you all are missing a very obvious reason for headless HTPC...

...Having a dedicated server/headless HTPC (say in your wiring closet or down in the basement) and just using extenders will always result in FEWER HTPC rebuilds cuz you're not constantly tinkering with the HTPC OS!!! :D

Once the initial build is stable, it becomes an out of sight / out of mind appliance and you spend far less time screwing it up! I went from around once a month rebuilding to once or twice at MOST as TV season.
Matt O. ...tivo what? ...dish dvr--uh... huh? ...cable dvr fees--you're kidding, right?