Facebook news you couldn't make up

Chat with other TGB members about whatever is on your mind.
adam1991

HTPC Specs: Show details

Facebook news you couldn't make up

Post by adam1991 » Thu Dec 27, 2012 3:30 am

http://readwrite.com/2012/12/26/yes-ran ... an-decency

This article amuses me on several levels. There's the surface level, of course. But then there's that list of bullet items, delivered as if they were personal affronts to each and every Facebook user.

But of course, no one is forcing anyone to use Facebook. And everyone knows (or SHOULD know) that the Facebook user isn't the customer. So why all the "outrage"? Just walk away if you don't like it. But don't think you're entitled to Facebook being what YOU want it to be.

Just walk away. Walk away, cancel your account, and realize that none of those bullet items has any meaning in your life anymore.

That's right, I'm not on Facebook. Am I a Luddite, or am I prescient? (Hint: the answer is "prescient". The ultimate insanity of MySpace/Facebook was obvious the moment I learned about them.)

Nor am I on Twitter. And don't get me going on companies that have moved exclusively to those avenues for customer communication. Email? Web site? Nah, we're on Facebook! Insane.

barnabas1969

Post by barnabas1969 » Thu Dec 27, 2012 4:31 pm

Who cares?

adam1991

Post by adam1991 » Thu Dec 27, 2012 4:57 pm

Didn't you think it was funny?

barnabas1969

Post by barnabas1969 » Thu Dec 27, 2012 6:33 pm

Kinda stupid if you ask me. Even if one of her sister's friends posted the picture for everyone to see... it's a harmless picture of a family in a kitchen. I know people who are sooooo into Facebook that it consumes their lives, and they actually get upset when someone "un-friends" them. It's ridiculous.

I'm on Facebook and Myspace, although I haven't logged into Myspace in years. I liked Myspace a lot better than Facebook... I can't stand the stupid "apps" that Facebook always prompts you to add to your page. I use Facebook to occasionally monitor my kids to see what they're up to, and it's an easy way to login to several news websites in order to post comments on articles.

Originally though, I signed up on both sites as a means to meet women. That was after I got divorced and before I got remarried. It worked... I met several women that way. None were worth keeping long-term, but it was fun for the short-term. ;) One of my Myspace "friends" was in a desperate situation one night, and she asked me for my help. I had never met her in person before that night. I helped her out... it didn't really cost me anything except my time... and I didn't get anything out of it except the satisfaction that I had done something to help a stranger (not an unusual thing for me). A year or two later I ran into her again in a strip club. She worked there... and she hooked me up! I guess that's karma.

adam1991

Post by adam1991 » Fri Dec 28, 2012 3:37 am

Funny that she got upset at the thought that others saw that picture.

Funny that even the Zuckerbergs can't use Facebook and what it's become.

Funny that a Zuckerberg is crying out for "human decency" in the context of a Facebook that makes that impossible...