Changing IR codeset/remote ID used by echo?

Talk with fellow members about Ceton's Media Center Extender.
Forum rules
Ceton no longer participate in this forum. Official support may still be handled via the Ceton Ticket system.
tad

HTPC Specs: Show details

Changing IR codeset/remote ID used by echo?

Post by tad » Mon Dec 10, 2012 12:32 am

On Media Center PCs, you can change the IR codeset on the HTPC and on the media center remote so specific remotes can be tied to specific HTPCs. This is particularly useful when you have multiple HTPCs within IR range of each other. Unfortunately, it looks like the Echo responds to all 8 of the available codesets. Is it possible to change the IR codeset that the echo responds to?

I have both a media center and an Echo in the same room and I need to control them separately. I know this is straightforward, I'm just not sure if the options have been exposed yet.

On your main HTPC, you can change the codeset as follows:
Set Remote Control ID - To enable your Media Center to respond to a specific remote control ID do the following; 1. Press and hold the DVD Menu key on the remote then press a number button (1-8) for 5 seconds. Remotes with visible LED signal indicators will blink twice to confirm the change. 2. Enter that same number below. 3. Save. 4. Restart the Media Center PC. Note: To enable Media Center to respond to all remotes use the number 0. A reboot is required for this setting to take effect.
· Registry key - HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\HidIr\Remotes\745a17a0-74d3-11d0-b6fe-00a0c90f57da
· Registry value - CodeSetNum0
· Registry value data type - REG_DWORD
This setting also requires deleting the following registry values:
· Registry key - HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\HidIr\Remotes\745a17a0-74d3-11d0-b6fe-00a0c90f57da
· Registry value - CodeSetNum1
· Registry value - CodeSetNum2
· Registry value - CodeSetNum3
Source: http://experts.windows.com/frms/windows ... 38806.aspx

RealCodeGuy

Post by RealCodeGuy » Mon Dec 10, 2012 1:41 am

Just use the Companion App as it's all controlled via IP.

barnabas1969

Post by barnabas1969 » Mon Dec 10, 2012 4:50 am

tad wrote:Is it possible to change the IR codeset that the echo responds to?
Yes, it can be changed. The link below explains the process:

http://tracker.cetoncorp.com/projects/e ... _Sequences

tad

Post by tad » Mon Dec 10, 2012 3:19 pm

barnabas1969 wrote:
tad wrote:Is it possible to change the IR codeset that the echo responds to?
Yes, it can be changed. The link below explains the process:

http://tracker.cetoncorp.com/projects/e ... _Sequences
Thanks - that is good news. But when I click that link I get a message that says "You are not authorized to access this page." The only project that shows under the "projects" tab is the Ceton Companion - how do I get access to the Echo area?

kmp14

Post by kmp14 » Mon Dec 10, 2012 9:38 pm

Same question for me. Looks like that link goes to a section that needs a logon, probably Beta testers. Anyone have access and want to post the instructions?

holidayboy

Post by holidayboy » Mon Dec 10, 2012 10:14 pm

I've asked Ceton if there's a different place to go and get the instructions, just in case the current method changes for retail firmware......

If not then there's no reason we can't paste the steps here as far as I'm aware.
Rob.

TGB.tv - the one stop shop for the more discerning Media Center user.

barnabas1969

Post by barnabas1969 » Mon Dec 10, 2012 10:27 pm

That's strange. When they posted those instructions, they said that they were posting them to the "public wiki". Well, I don't think there's any harm, so here they are...
Attachments
EchoRemote.zip
(464.84 KiB) Downloaded 289 times

tad

Post by tad » Mon Dec 10, 2012 11:07 pm

barnabas1969 wrote:That's strange. When they posted those instructions, they said that they were posting them to the "public wiki". Well, I don't think there's any harm, so here they are...
Thank you!!

I wonder what other information is on that Wiki that us non-beta users are missing out on... :-)

barnabas1969

Post by barnabas1969 » Tue Dec 11, 2012 4:15 am

tad wrote:I wonder what other information is on that Wiki that us non-beta users are missing out on... :-)
Nothing. That's the ONLY wiki entry for the Echo.

tad

Post by tad » Sun Dec 16, 2012 7:21 pm

Thanks again - I have confirmed that this process to change the IR codeset works on the echo (1213 beta firmware). I have not yet confirmed whether the changes are persistent with firmware upgrades.

Edit: I have confirmed that these changes get erased when the firmware is upgraded.
Last edited by tad on Thu Jan 31, 2013 4:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

tad

Post by tad » Thu Jan 31, 2013 4:25 pm

Assigning Remote Control Addresses
The RC-6A IR Protocols support multiple remotes and multiple Windows Media Center devices in the same room. The total number of separate remote control addresses is eight. The user should be able to change the address of the remote with a few simple keystrokes.

Programming the Remote Control Address for your Ceton Echo
1. Turn off your Echo

2. Using your Remote Control, enter the below number sequence corresponding to the RC address you want
  • 24723370 = Sets the Echo to listen to any RC Address. This is the default factory setting.
    24723371 = Sets the Echo to only listen for RC Address #1
    24723372 = Sets the Echo to only listen for RC Address #2
    24723373 = Sets the Echo to only listen for RC Address #3
    24723374 = Sets the Echo to only listen for RC Address #4
    24723375 = Sets the Echo to only listen for RC Address #5
    24723376 = Sets the Echo to only listen for RC Address #6
    24723377 = Sets the Echo to only listen for RC Address #7
    24723378 = Sets the Echo to only listen for RC Address #8
    Note: After changing the RC address the Echo listens for, you will not be able to use the Remote Control until it is configured to transmit the same address (step 3)
3. Change the transmitting address on the Echo Remote Control
On the remote control, simultaneously press the INFO button and a numeric button (1-8) for more than three seconds to change the remote control address.

Programming the Remote Control Address for your Windows Media Center PC
1. On the Microsoft remote control, simultaneously press the DVD MENU button and a numeric button (1-8) for more than three seconds to change the remote control address. The LED will blink twice to indicate success.

2. Change the Media Center PC to respond to a specific RC address:
  • a. Change the value of the following key to the RC address you used to program the remote (1-8):
    • HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\\SYSTEM\\CurrentControlSet\\Services\\Hid Ir\\Remotes\\745a17a0-74d3-11d0-b6fe-00a0c90f57da\\CodeSetNum0
    b. Delete the following keys from the same folder: CodeSetNum1, CodeSetNum2, and CodeSetNum3
3. Reboot your Media Center PC for the changes to take effect

Sammy2

Post by Sammy2 » Thu Jan 31, 2013 7:13 pm

tad wrote:Assigning Remote Control Addresses
The RC-6A IR Protocols support multiple remotes and multiple Windows Media Center devices in the same room. The total number of separate remote control addresses is eight. The user should be able to change the address of the remote with a few simple keystrokes.

Programming the Remote Control Address for your Ceton Echo
1. Turn off your Echo

2. Using your Remote Control, enter the below number sequence corresponding to the RC address you want
  • 24723370 = Sets the Echo to listen to any RC Address. This is the default factory setting.
    24723371 = Sets the Echo to only listen for RC Address #1
    24723372 = Sets the Echo to only listen for RC Address #2
    24723373 = Sets the Echo to only listen for RC Address #3
    24723374 = Sets the Echo to only listen for RC Address #4
    24723375 = Sets the Echo to only listen for RC Address #5
    24723376 = Sets the Echo to only listen for RC Address #6
    24723377 = Sets the Echo to only listen for RC Address #7
    24723378 = Sets the Echo to only listen for RC Address #8
    Note: After changing the RC address the Echo listens for, you will not be able to use the Remote Control until it is configured to transmit the same address (step 3)
3. Change the transmitting address on the Echo Remote Control
On the remote control, simultaneously press the INFO button and a numeric button (1-8) for more than three seconds to change the remote control address.

Programming the Remote Control Address for your Windows Media Center PC
1. On the Microsoft remote control, simultaneously press the DVD MENU button and a numeric button (1-8) for more than three seconds to change the remote control address. The LED will blink twice to indicate success.

2. Change the Media Center PC to respond to a specific RC address:
  • a. Change the value of the following key to the RC address you used to program the remote (1-8):
    • HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\\SYSTEM\\CurrentControlSet\\Services\\Hid Ir\\Remotes\\745a17a0-74d3-11d0-b6fe-00a0c90f57da\\CodeSetNum0
    b. Delete the following keys from the same folder: CodeSetNum1, CodeSetNum2, and CodeSetNum3
3. Reboot your Media Center PC for the changes to take effect

So this won't work for a Harmony programmed with separate HTPC and echo activities, right?

tad

Post by tad » Fri Feb 01, 2013 5:27 am

Sammy2 wrote: So this won't work for a Harmony programmed with separate HTPC and echo activities, right?
It depends what you're trying to do. I couldn't find the alternate remote codes in the harmony database, so I programmed the echo manually (set to remote code 2) by learning all of the codes manually from the echo remote (after setting it to code 2). My HTPC is set to code 1. Now I can switch between activities on my harmony remote and control either the HTPC or the echo depending on the activity I'm in. This is essential to me since all of my equipment is in the basement and controlled through an ir blaster network.

Sammy2

Post by Sammy2 » Fri Feb 01, 2013 2:52 pm

tad wrote:
Sammy2 wrote: So this won't work for a Harmony programmed with separate HTPC and echo activities, right?
It depends what you're trying to do. I couldn't find the alternate remote codes in the harmony database, so I programmed the echo manually (set to remote code 2) by learning all of the codes manually from the echo remote (after setting it to code 2). My HTPC is set to code 1. Now I can switch between activities on my harmony remote and control either the HTPC or the echo depending on the activity I'm in. This is essential to me since all of my equipment is in the basement and controlled through an ir blaster network.
That sounds like a pain in the @$$.

tad

Post by tad » Sat Feb 02, 2013 12:02 am

Sammy2 wrote:
tad wrote:
That sounds like a pain in the butt.
HUGE pain.

erkotz

Post by erkotz » Wed Feb 06, 2013 9:56 pm

If someone has a contact at Harmony/Logitech, I will be happy to reach out to them to try and get Echo added - I have repeatedly tried and gotten nowhere with Logitech.
Quality Assurance Manager, Ceton Corporation

lithium630

Post by lithium630 » Wed Feb 06, 2013 11:07 pm

erkotz wrote:If someone has a contact at Harmony/Logitech, I will be happy to reach out to them to try and get Echo added - I have repeatedly tried and gotten nowhere with Logitech.
Logitech is selling Harmony. They probably won't be helpful.

foxwood

Post by foxwood » Wed Feb 06, 2013 11:41 pm

lithium630 wrote:
erkotz wrote:If someone has a contact at Harmony/Logitech, I will be happy to reach out to them to try and get Echo added - I have repeatedly tried and gotten nowhere with Logitech.
Logitech is selling Harmony. They probably won't be helpful.
It's worth more as a going concern. they won't get much for it if they let word spread around that they've run it into the ground.