Stuck in updating loop

Talk with fellow members about Ceton's Media Center Extender.
Forum rules
Ceton no longer participate in this forum. Official support may still be handled via the Ceton Ticket system.
chosenone

HTPC Specs: Show details

Post by chosenone » Tue Dec 04, 2012 2:47 am

Both Ceton echo's are stuck on the Ceton loading screen (25%). I attempted the recovering on the first, and left the second. No difference. Reboot on the recovering takes me to to the WMC code, then reboots to the ceton boot screen. Again, gets stuck at 25%.

IrishFBall32

Post by IrishFBall32 » Tue Dec 04, 2012 2:54 am

Still no joy here, power cycle put me back into update hang, as has running recovery again... I see network traffic across my switch, but none (currently) through my firewall or into my HTPC... I'm going to drop an old hub (yes, they still exist) inline with the Echo and run tcpdump to see what its talking to (or trying to).

chosenone

Post by chosenone » Tue Dec 04, 2012 3:35 am

I'm working with support on the recovery process. I believe the MAC is needed to access the recovery files. Try opening a ticket and confirm these are the steps you should be taking.

1.) Download http://cetoncorp.com/downloads/ctnechorecovery.exe to a Windows computer
2.) Plug Echo into your Windows 7 PC via USB.
Please note: Make sure echo is hooked up to the network, as internet access is required for recovery.
Please note: Some status info is displayed during recovery via HDMI, so plug that in too.
3.) Turn off Echo with remote
4.) Run ctnechorecovery.exe
5.) Use the Echo remote to enter in this number sequence: 2065489548 (If sequence was enter correctly the Echo will power on, and have three (3) solid red lights below the logo)
Please note: You can hit zero (0) at least 10+ times to clear out any failed attempts. Be steady, with no pauses when entering the code.
6.) Get the MAC address of your Echo from the recovery tool, and update your ticket with the number. We will send an approval email with next steps once we receive your email.

chosenone

Post by chosenone » Tue Dec 04, 2012 4:35 am

Both devices have been recovered to v2012.1203.1056

marvinpandroid

Post by marvinpandroid » Tue Dec 04, 2012 4:47 am

Seriously? Up-Up-Down-Down-L-R-L-R-B-A-Start?

I find it amusing that the number sequence is the phone number for a Thai food place in Seattle's University District.

I'm stuck in this update mode, too. The unit worked for awhile right after I hooked it up tonight for the first time, but after rebooting it once it hasn't come back. There's no text on the screen whatsoever to tell me what it's doing -- just "ceton" and a status bar that's at 25% and going nowhere. I suppose I'll give these steps a chance.

Motz

Post by Motz » Tue Dec 04, 2012 4:53 am

chosenone wrote:I'm working with support on the recovery process. I believe the MAC is needed to access the recovery files. Try opening a ticket and confirm these are the steps you should be taking.

1.) Download http://cetoncorp.com/downloads/ctnechorecovery.exe to a Windows computer
2.) Plug Echo into your Windows 7 PC via USB.
Please note: Make sure echo is hooked up to the network, as internet access is required for recovery.
Please note: Some status info is displayed during recovery via HDMI, so plug that in too.
3.) Turn off Echo with remote
4.) Run ctnechorecovery.exe
5.) Use the Echo remote to enter in this number sequence: 2065489548 (If sequence was enter correctly the Echo will power on, and have three (3) solid red lights below the logo)
Please note: You can hit zero (0) at least 10+ times to clear out any failed attempts. Be steady, with no pauses when entering the code.
6.) Get the MAC address of your Echo from the recovery tool, and update your ticket with the number. We will send an approval email with next steps once we receive your email.
It should be noted that you must work with our support staff and open a ticket so we can enable the recovery based on your MAC address. Thanks.
I Write, Code, and Tweet

jeremyh

Post by jeremyh » Tue Dec 04, 2012 5:01 am

Hey everyone, just wanted to give everyone an update on the latest firmware and issues that some of you may have experienced during the update process. We looked into the update issue and we found the issue is not with the update itself but is an issue with the update servers. The demand of so many echo's requesting an update at the same time was causing the updates to time out. We have temporarily disabled the update while we work to resolve the issue. On top of that we will be taking further actions to ensure that this does not happen again. We will post another update soon.

We have disabled the "force" aspect of the update and it can be installed manually via the settings app. This is the last "force" update we planned to put out and we will eventually turn the force flag back on since an update is required from the factory images in order to get the update options in the settings menu. We will do this after we resolve the server load issues.

Thank you for your patience and dedication.

-Jeremy

p.s. If you ever get a chance, Thai Tom is the best. Seriously. Worth a trip to Seattle by itself. motz, lunch tomorrow?
-Jeremy
CTO, Ceton

Motz

Post by Motz » Tue Dec 04, 2012 5:03 am

jeremyh wrote:motz, lunch tomorrow?
totes, obvy, is that even a question
I Write, Code, and Tweet

marvinpandroid

Post by marvinpandroid » Tue Dec 04, 2012 5:08 am

Not long after I submitted my previous post, the unit came to life and is now working. I didn't do anything.

Thanks for the late night work, guys. I'll have to check out Thai Tom next time I'm near the U. :)

IrishFBall32

Post by IrishFBall32 » Tue Dec 04, 2012 5:20 am

Thanks for sticking around late guys, your support continues to be excellent.

If it will help you troubleshoot the root problem any, I have a Wireshark/tcpdump pcap file of what the Echo is doing from boot through giving up and rebooting itself... There appears to be some rather odd behavior in the sequence of HTTP requests right before the reboot (this must be the timeouts)... odd thing is it always happens on the same few files...
I'm reluctant to post the file publicly because there appears to be some identifying/unique information in the requests, but I will certainly pass it along to Dev/Support if requested. For reference, the file is approx. 20MB in size.

Also, I'm glad I'm not the only one who had a hunch that was a phone number (with the 0 it wasn't going to spell anything) and Google'd it. As a fellow developer/sysadmin, I know how much of the universe centers around (asian) food.

IrishFBall32

Post by IrishFBall32 » Tue Dec 04, 2012 5:39 am

RealCodeGuy wrote:One of the Echos that didn't come back immediately and had to be powered off and turned back on. When it booted back up I had to re-pair it with Media Center. That's kind of a drag because now I have Mce2-xxx and Mce3-xxx instead of 1 and 2. Not that big of a deal, I know later we'll be able to rename them.
FYI: Mine needed to be re-paired also, but I discovered that if you go into MCE and select the (now broken) extender and use the Reconfigure option, it will come back in with the same Mcx# as before.

RealCodeGuy

Post by RealCodeGuy » Tue Dec 04, 2012 5:43 am

IrishFBall32 wrote:
RealCodeGuy wrote:One of the Echos that didn't come back immediately and had to be powered off and turned back on. When it booted back up I had to re-pair it with Media Center. That's kind of a drag because now I have Mce2-xxx and Mce3-xxx instead of 1 and 2. Not that big of a deal, I know later we'll be able to rename them.
FYI: Mine needed to be re-paired also, but I discovered that if you go into MCE and select the (now broken) extender and use the Reconfigure option, it will come back in with the same Mcx# as before.
Thanks for the tip, I will give that a try.

Bill

Post by Bill » Tue Dec 04, 2012 6:16 pm

When does the Echo network initialize? Currently i'm trying to recover my Echo (yes i have a ticket), but it's currently at the "connecting to ceton" screen, but my switch does not indicate the echo has an active ethernet connection, and my DHCP server hasn't provided it an IP address.

edit: Restarted the switch and the ceton link lit up. onward with the recovery process!
HTPCs, InfiniTVs, and Extenders OH MY!

IrishFBall32

Post by IrishFBall32 » Tue Dec 04, 2012 11:34 pm

The network seems to come up about the time the plain blue "Ceton" splash screen disappears.

I got my forced update this evening with no issues... looks like you guys had success in mitigating the load.

RealCodeGuy

Post by RealCodeGuy » Wed Dec 05, 2012 2:40 am

Both of mine updated tonight without an issue. The one Echo that wouldn't display closed captions automatically when muted is now fixed.

cdcellular

Post by cdcellular » Wed Dec 05, 2012 2:54 am

RealCodeGuy wrote:Both of mine updated tonight without an issue. The one Echo that wouldn't display closed captions automatically when muted is now fixed.
Any other noticeable fixes? Are you still seeing frame rate lag or stuttering when watching video?

RealCodeGuy

Post by RealCodeGuy » Wed Dec 05, 2012 3:10 am

cdcellular wrote:
RealCodeGuy wrote:Both of mine updated tonight without an issue. The one Echo that wouldn't display closed captions automatically when muted is now fixed.
Any other noticeable fixes? Are you still seeing frame rate lag or stuttering when watching video?
Both of mine are connected to 720p sets. I think all the frame rate, stuttering issues are related to 1080p content. My third Echo will be here Thursday and it will be connected to a 1080p set so I'll report back then.