Steps for 'De-bricking' an Echo

Talk with fellow members about Ceton's Media Center Extender.
Forum rules
Ceton no longer participate in this forum. Official support may still be handled via the Ceton Ticket system.
Crash2009

HTPC Specs: Show details

Steps for 'De-bricking' an Echo

Post by Crash2009 » Mon Dec 03, 2012 11:55 pm

I am in the process of trying out the instructions copied from http://www.thegreenbutton.tv/forums/vie ... 300#p35300

Please try following the instructions below:
1. Attach network, power and video cables to your Echo, then turn it on.
2. Power off the Echo using your remote control
3. Type the word "recovery" (73268379) on the number pad of your remote control. If you make a mistake, type "0" 10 times in a row, then try again
4. The Echo should turn on and enter recovery mode. Please leave it in this mode until it completes, or for at least 60 minutes.
5. If Echo has not completed Recovery after 60 minutes, please power it off with the remote, then power it back on, and allow it to sit for another 60 minutes.

As soon as I finished punching in 73268379 the CETON light came on, and 6 red indicator lights. I am currently at step 4 and have to wait another 30 minutes.
Attachments
ECHO020.JPG

Crash2009

Post by Crash2009 » Tue Dec 04, 2012 1:22 am

No joy DE-BRICKING Echo 2. I could hear some humming inside the Echo. Even after 2 hours though, the box didn't warm up like Echo 1.

However I did get a nice surprise when I plugged Echo 1 back in.

I am now running 2012.1202.1302 on Echo 1.

Need further troubleshooting directions for Echo 2.
Attachments
ECHO022.JPG

Crash2009

Post by Crash2009 » Tue Dec 04, 2012 2:28 am

News over at AVS http://www.avsforum.com/t/1386351/offic ... t_22658628

This is what they had me do to unbrick my Echo:

Thank you for your continued patience, we're going to attempt a restore using our recovery tool. The process requires a USB connection directly to your Windows 7 PC, with an internet connection. (You will use the USB power cable to establish the USB connection with your PC.) Please see below:

1.) Download http://cetoncorp.com/downloads/ctnechorecovery.exe to a Windows computer
2.) Plug echo into the computer via USB.
Please note: Make sure echo is hooked up to the network, as internet access is required for recovery.
Please note: Some status info is displayed during recovery via HDMI, so plug that in too.
3.) Turn off echo with remote
4.) Run ctnechorecovery.exe
5.) Point the Echo remote at the Echo while it is turned off, and enter this number sequence: 2065489548 (If sequence was enter correctly the Echo will power on with three (3) solid red lights)
Please note: You can hit zero (0) at least 5+ times to clear out any failed attempts. Be steady, with no pauses when entering the code.
6.) Please be patience as the tool attempts to recover your device. (At least five (5+) minutes per screen)
Please note: If you are stuck on the screen "Connecting to Ceton...". Please leave the unit alone, and update your ticket letting us know, and we will re-approve your download. It should move into the recovery process shortly after.

Please let us know if you have any questions or if this failed to finish.

Thank you,
Ceton Support

FYI, When my Echo restarted after the recover, I got my first HDMI picture. I did get stuck at "Connecting to Ceton". I updated my ticket and several minutes later it connected. I'm not sure if they did something or if it just took a long time to connect. I would guess the latter.

Motz

Post by Motz » Tue Dec 04, 2012 4:41 am

Additionally though you will need a ticket # with our support staff so as we enable/disable this per device based on mac address.
I Write, Code, and Tweet

Crash2009

Post by Crash2009 » Wed Dec 05, 2012 2:54 am

I just got my approval from Ceton Support to proceed with ctnechorecovery.exe It's been a long day, I'll do it tomorrow.

FrankAZ

Post by FrankAZ » Thu Dec 06, 2012 8:15 pm

Ceton ticket submitted: [#TEP-642-38127]

Posting in case someone searches for similar terms and values company in adversity.

Yesterday I received my Echo. It's been a loooong wait since January. With the benefit of great preparation I followed the activation processes intently. I installed the plug-in to my HTPC and rebooted that for good measure. Then I connected my Echo to the same GbE switch servicing the HTPC, via HDMI to a monitor, and finally plugged in the power. Quickly I saw a plain blue background with a white 'ceton' text, but my excitement faded as I watched the machine reboot three times with each reboot being up for about one minute and showing the same 'ceton' message. No update.

After the 3rd reboot my Echo showed a 'ceton' message, but under that a new 'recovering...' indicator. I left the machine like that for an hour and no change except I also noticed the three left-most LEDs under the white ceton indicator on the Echo were lit at the end of that hour. They may have been lit before but I didn't notice the tiny LEDs until then.

I toggled the Echo on/off with the remote and left it another hour. Then I power-cycled and left it another hour. No joy. Up until then I had not seen any activity from the Echo's Ethernet port. My GbE switch didn't even show sync. I think the Ethernet port was depowered.

Then I connected my Echo to a laptop with the USB/power cable and used the ctnechorecovery application and the 'Thai Restaurant' key sequence to inject new software. As anticipated the Echo then hung at attempting to contact Ceton with the Ethernet port active. (I know the MAC has to be registered with their service before it can suck down software). After maybe 30 minutes of that (just in case) I rebooted and was back to square one: my Echo rebooted three times and then hung at the 'recovering...' screen. I left it like that overnight (just in case....).

Today I am waiting for a response to my Ceton trouble-ticket, hopefully with the go-ahead to reattempt the ctnechorecovery. I am sitting here with my Echo at my desk ready to roll as soon as the email arrives. I sure hope it arrives today because I want to get going with the Echo tonight while my family are out of the house and I have unfettered access to the TVs and equipment.

Anyone else suffering the triple reboot and 'recovering...' hang on a new out of the box Echo?

Frank

Update: a few minutes after posting this I got the go-ahead from Ceton to use the ctnechorecovery tool. Attempting now...
i3-540 | DH57DD | 4GB DDR3-1333 | InfiniTV4 \ 2250 | Intel SSD \ WD 1TB | Silverstone GD05

Crash2009

Post by Crash2009 » Thu Dec 06, 2012 10:22 pm

#QAX-322-11062

Still no joy. The recovery tool got the MAC, I updated the ticket, I thought it was working. HDMI displayed MAC, IP, and firmware version. I thought it was fixed, then shut down and moved USB from laptop to 120V. Now I get no HDMI display (TV reports NO SIGNAL) Tried all the HDMI inputs on the TV. Tried different HDMI cables. All I can guess is that Echo 2 is not outputting HDMI signal. Echo 2 does show signs of doing something, when I reboot it, (off then on again) it shows progressive red indicator lights, first 1 light, then 2, then 3. The TV just reports NO SIGNAL before, during, and after the 1,2,3 light show.

Have tried to re-run ctnechorecovery.exe several times since and get NO SIGNAL every time.

I'd like to have a look inside. Anybody got a can opener? I am out of ideas.

Crash2009

Post by Crash2009 » Thu Dec 06, 2012 11:18 pm

Just received an e-mail from Ceton Support. Unfortunately, it appears that Echo 2 is done for.

Hi Crash2009,

We are transferring you to our RMA Department.

In order to initiate a warranty replacement, we will need your shipping address and phone number. Upon receipt of this information, you will be provided instructions on how to proceed with the RMA process.

Please be sure to provide your return shipping address and phone number.

Sorry for the inconvenience!

Thank you,
Ceton Support

bobc_nj

Post by bobc_nj » Fri Dec 07, 2012 3:20 pm

My 2nd Echo which I left in the box until Wednesday (got 2, both on the 27th or so. First one works like a charm), is pretty much in similar state of FrankAZ and Crashes.

First Set up it sat at the Ceton screen for a long time. It Rebooted a few times then went into RECOVERING... and after a couple hours I power cycled. and it sat at 4 Red Lights. I put in a ticket and followed the Recovery procedures (60 mins and then another 60) and now I get nothing, now not even the HDMI output is working.

Funny thing, I never noticed any activity lights on the desktop switch I am using show any blinking at all. It's almost like it was dead from the get go. On the same switch the working Ceton always showed major activity. I know the actual jack is working as other devices connect fine through it. Anyway am waiting on next step on the ticket which has been about 17 hours with no reply.

At least I have one to play with. I have as my main set up 2 Infinitv's in one BOX in a cabinet, an xbox extender and the echo's (Verizon FIOS). I have a 3rd Infinitv that I plan to use in my vacation home to distribute to itself, one echo and one xbox so I don't have to deal with the COMCAST archaic guide.

FrankAZ

Post by FrankAZ » Fri Dec 07, 2012 4:19 pm

Update to my earlier post in this thread.

After I received the authorization to proceed from Ceton I performed another Thai Restaurant recovery and was able to inject the recovery image (per the tool's status message). However, despite that success message in the ctnechorecovery tool's window the Echo's HDMI output did not become active and nor did the Ethernet port. The Echo hung at 3 LEDs (#1, #3, #5) lit, the ceton logo lit, and the optical out a steady red glow through the cover.

A few more attempts, some simple power-ons with basic power, and a lot of time later I gave up. I did not see a glimmer of activity from either HDMI out nor the Ethernet port all day. Just to be sure I checked the cables with a known good HDMI source and then gave up. I think my Echo is dead unless there is an even more fundamental super-recovery tool with primordial recovery code to try. I expect that I'll receive RMA instructions today and just hope that I can arrange a cross-dock replacement secured by a credit card.

Frank.
i3-540 | DH57DD | 4GB DDR3-1333 | InfiniTV4 \ 2250 | Intel SSD \ WD 1TB | Silverstone GD05

Bill

Post by Bill » Fri Dec 07, 2012 5:30 pm

Frank, I had exactly the same issues and was transferred to the RMA department as well. I also asked to do a secure RMA with CC, but they don't currently offer this for the Echos, only the tuners.
HTPCs, InfiniTVs, and Extenders OH MY!

bobc_nj

Post by bobc_nj » Fri Dec 07, 2012 8:33 pm

I think given the similarities to other problems, I don't have much hope for recovery, but will try whatever they have me do.

Has anyone actually recovered their echo that we know of?

I certainly can understand given the newness of the product, so far I am 5 of 6 positive Ceton product deliveries, and 4 of them were first week consumer releases so I am still enthusiastic. I've been reading a few negative reviews on some of the other threads, I have no doubt that the software and experience will improve in short time. I am still amazed at how big and bulky my original InfiniTv card is compared to the most recent I popped in, and the first still works as good as ever.

FrankAz, I remember your fulfillment thread from the beginning. What an effort that was! I just went back and looked at it and am still amazed!

Crash2009

Post by Crash2009 » Sat Dec 08, 2012 1:45 am

"Has anyone actually recovered their echo that we know of?"

Only one that I read about, Eric859 http://www.avsforum.com/t/1386351/offic ... t_22658499 That's where I copied the directions from. Eric was very convincing that it worked. I got close. I got the pairing code then unplugged it from the laptop, I think maybe I should have left it hooked up to the laptop USB, then went over to the HTPC and entered the code. I didn't get a second chance. HDMI was dead as a doornail after that. I even let it sit unplugged for a day, hoping some time might discharge it.

I don't really want a second chance, but if someone else is trying this and you run ctnechorecovery.exe, and you get a MAC, IP, and Version, make sure the laptop and the Echo both have an internet connection. This was not in the recovery directions, I found out too late. It appears that you only get one chance, so be ready.

bobc_nj

Post by bobc_nj » Sat Dec 08, 2012 2:53 am

The PC says Recovery Image Loaded, Check HDMI Output for status. No signal is coming out of the Echo (that started after I let it sit waiting for the 732.... recovery process). Updated my ticket with Mac Address. Still no Activity Lights on the Ethernet Port on the switch.

Motz

Post by Motz » Sat Dec 08, 2012 3:18 am

bobc_nj wrote: Has anyone actually recovered their echo that we know of?

I see it work consistently over and over again in our lab on units we are testing with, actually I have never seen it fail here. Also in real life on AVS and a few here have had success, also others that have submitted tickets but aren't on forums. I guess one thing is we test it a lot hooked up to a normal PC and not laptops, I don't think it should have much to do with it. Also USB 2.0 would be the preferred USB as well. We are also streamlining the recovery tool more so hopefully you should only need to hook it up to Ethernet and USB and not have to hook up HDMI.
I Write, Code, and Tweet

bobc_nj

Post by bobc_nj » Sat Dec 08, 2012 3:51 am

I don't envy, though I am sure it makes work interesting, having to put out products where the end users configurations and environments can vary almost infinitely (no Pun intended). I am still holding out hope for poor echo #2. What's the next step regarding the MAC Address approval.

FrankAZ

Post by FrankAZ » Sat Dec 08, 2012 5:24 am

Motz, thank you for stepping in.

I am in precisely the same boat as bobc_nj. After the recovery image is reported as successfully loaded I see no further activity. The Ethernet port shows no sync to my switch so I'm not sure that the problem lies with any connectivity issues which may differ from your lab.

I have access to a lot of PCs and laptops with a variety of USB flavors and implementations. I can bypass a lot of switches and routers and, if I run into the lab at work, I can get access to an internet drop which attaches directly to the level3 backbone bypassing everything ISP/consumer. If there is anything you want me to try I am happy to give it a whirl.

However, the machine I am using now successfully injected the recovery image via a USB 2.0 controller in a Intel ICH9M chipset on Wednesday night. Following that the Echo attempted to phone home before the Ceton server was ready. That was the last time I saw any hint of HDMI or Ethernet activity.

Is the recovery image injected by the ctnechorecovery tool entirely self-contained and does the tool report success after an acknowledgement from the Echo, or only after a low-level protocol has accepted the bitstream from the tool?

Ideas?

Frank

EDIT Sat 5.17pm AZ:
I have since tried the ctnechorecovery tool from two tower PCs and an ultrabook using both USB 2.0 and USB 3.0. Not a glimmer of HDMI or Ethernet though the tool claims a successful image load. I've not seen any HMDI or Ethernet since late Wednesday / early Thursday morning when I had my one-time successful ctnechorecovery event which attempted to rendezvous with Ceton's servers before they were configured to expect the phone-home.

I have also cycled through the recovery key-sequence which other than responding with power on and 6 LEDs lit after the sequence was received didn't do anything for me. No HDMI. When I power-on regulary, with the Ceton PSU brick or power from a PC USB the Echo slowly illuminates LEDs #1, #2, #3 in progression and halts at LEDs #1, #2, #3 all lit. An all-night pause results in no further activity.

I'm willing to try another version of ctnechorecovery, or any other in-situ recovery incantation or animal sacrifice protocol.

Frank.
Last edited by FrankAZ on Sun Dec 09, 2012 12:18 am, edited 1 time in total.

Motz

Post by Motz » Sat Dec 08, 2012 7:27 am

Interesting. I will let jeremy and austin read through this as they wrote the tool. I honestly just work on the companion apps (and now some more android stuff), but basically on the television there are 10 steps that it goes through when the tool is updating the system. I guess maybe a "GO" button should be added in there. I am pretty sure there is 2 way communication going on there, but I will verify.

If not we will RMA a new one out to you with the latest firmware from our office here.
I Write, Code, and Tweet

mskenny

Post by mskenny » Sat Dec 08, 2012 4:13 pm

bobc_nj wrote:Has anyone actually recovered their echo that we know of?
Not me, and I've been at it for a week. I don't know why I've been this patient, as Ceton no longer respond to my support e-mails. Are you out there, Ceton?

24 hour response to support messages for a dead product is not good enough.

Bill

Post by Bill » Sat Dec 08, 2012 6:44 pm

I was unable to recover my 2 Echos, and their out for RMA. Echo #3 worked well for 2 days, and this morning was randomly freezing. Froze in the guide, froze trying to access the plugin, froze after 2mins of watching recorded tv. I know i'm an early adopter, but this thing isn't close to ready. If this was in the beta i'd expect it, but not from a "finished" product. I'm 30min into recovery, so we'll see how this goes. I've always been a huge fan of Ceton, but this is straight up disappointing.
HTPCs, InfiniTVs, and Extenders OH MY!