Extender setup problems

Troubleshoot and discuss the XBOX 360, XBOX One, Linksys, and other extenders.
Beerman

HTPC Specs: Show details

Extender setup problems

Post by Beerman » Sat Dec 01, 2012 2:09 am

Got another Xbox 360 to use on a tv upstairs. Things worked fine for 2 days. Turned it on today and can't connect to Media Center. The network is fine as I've tested it and can play videos with the xbox video player.
So, I thought I'd do another extender setup. I followed the following advice twice with no luck:
Method 1
Remove the Media Center Extender certificate. To remove the certificate, follow these steps:
Click Start, type mmc in the Start Search box, and then press ENTER.If you are prompted for an administrator password or for confirmation, type the password, or click Continue.
On the File menu, click Add/Remove Snap-in.
Click Certificates, and then click Add.
Select Computer account, and then click Next.
Select Local computer, and then click Finish.
Click OK.
In the Navigation Pane under Console Root, expand Certificates, expand Personal, and then click Certificates.
Right-click Microsoft Windows Media Center Extender Host, and then click Delete.
After you remove the certificate, uninstall the Extender, and then restart the Extender setup.

Method 2
Restart the Network List Service. To do this, follow these steps:
Click Start, type services.msc in the Start Search box, and then press ENTER. If you are prompted for an administrator password or for confirmation, type the password, or click Continue.
In the list of services, verify that Started appears under Status and that Automatic appears under Startup Type for Network List Service.
If you have to modify the settings for the service, double-click the service, make the adjustment, and then click OK.
Restart Extender setup.
Any other ideas? Xbox seems to work fine but each time I try to add an extender I get an "extender setup configuration error".

Beerman

Post by Beerman » Sat Dec 01, 2012 4:32 am

It does appear to be firewall related as when turned off, it works. But, I've added everything to the firewall that is listed on the MS site and still no luck with the firewall on. I have no other firewall software installed on my system.
What could be missing?

kschrobi

Post by kschrobi » Sat Dec 01, 2012 11:12 pm

I had the same issue, you have to add an exception for Media Center Extender in the windows firewall. Drove me nuts for a few hours but works like a charm if you follow the directions step by step.

Here you go:

http://www.sevenforums.com/media-center ... n-x64.html

Beerman

Post by Beerman » Sun Dec 02, 2012 3:15 am

Thanks that did it. That one little thing made the difference.