Harmony Remote

mogulman

HTPC Specs: Show details

Harmony Remote

Post by mogulman » Tue Nov 06, 2012 9:03 pm

So.. I have a Harmony remote that I have been using with Win 7 WMC. Upgraded to Win 8 recently. Seems to be working fine. Just wondering if anyone has some ideas on mapping keys or devices to use with Harmony remotes to make it easier to do more on the remote, rather than pulling out a keyboard.

Some things I was thinking that would help....
-Being able to press the Windows button
-Being able to close an app using the remote
-scroll wheel type functionality using the channel or volume buttons?

Anyone know how to do program this into Harmony or have any other suggestions on what you did to make Windows 8 more remote friendly?

Twitch

Post by Twitch » Wed Nov 07, 2012 8:56 pm

Yep... that's the dream.
Some of what you are asking can be found by adding the "MCE keyboard" to your device list in the Harmony software and adding it to your HTPC activity, then using whatever keys you want from that. It's very easy!
I don't believe that I can post links, but search for MCE Keyboard in the Harmony Remote forum and you'll see a lot of info.
That will certainly get you the windows button (Which works G-R-E-A-T in Win 8 as it toggles you back and forth from the Metro screen and whatever else you are running, such as MCE)
I haven't tried yet, but next I plan to add "left mouse click" so I can grab focus in the event that it dosent do it automatically.
I have not tried adding your others requests but they do sound rather handy, please let us know how you get on!

Ack

Post by Ack » Wed Nov 07, 2012 9:20 pm

Not as robust as a Harmony but I've been using two of these for about 1 1/2 years and they work great. Has mouse controls built in. You might have to use something like this to give you the mouse control you need. No scroll wheel function, just mouse movement and left and right buttons.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6823166095

mogulman

Post by mogulman » Wed Nov 07, 2012 11:39 pm

Twitch wrote:Yep... that's the dream.
Some of what you are asking can be found by adding the "MCE keyboard" to your device list in the Harmony software and adding it to your HTPC activity, then using whatever keys you want from that. It's very easy!
I don't believe that I can post links, but search for MCE Keyboard in the Harmony Remote forum and you'll see a lot of info.
That will certainly get you the windows button (Which works G-R-E-A-T in Win 8 as it toggles you back and forth from the Metro screen and whatever else you are running, such as MCE)
I haven't tried yet, but next I plan to add "left mouse click" so I can grab focus in the event that it dosent do it automatically.
I have not tried adding your others requests but they do sound rather handy, please let us know how you get on!
Doh.. I was just about to try it..when I realized that my Harmony (610) is only 4 devices. So I can't add another device. Darn! Does MCE keyboard have the other WMC functions? Ie could I replace my current WMC device with MCE keyboard? or do I need both?

mdavej

Post by mdavej » Thu Nov 08, 2012 2:02 am

If you have a dongle that uses the MCE (RC-6) protocol (not an Adesso ARC-1100 as posted previously which uses Ortek protocol), use the info HERE to replace your device on your harmony. Your 610 is 5 device not 4, so you shouldn't have a problem.

.Nico

Post by .Nico » Thu Nov 08, 2012 10:35 am

If you have a MCE Keyboard, you can use that to 'learn' you remote a new command. The Windows key is CTRL + ESC so that's another key-combo you should be able to but on a button on your remote control.

.Nico

mogulman

Post by mogulman » Thu Nov 15, 2012 6:43 pm

I added the MCE Keyboard SE to my device list and added Ctrl-ESC (windows button), Alt-F4 (close) and Alt-Esc (to change windows). Thanks.