Primary audio track missing in recordings (HDHomeRun Dual)

Ask about SiliconDusts HomeRun tuners here.
chasetec

HTPC Specs: Show details

Primary audio track missing in recordings (HDHomeRun Dual)

Post by chasetec » Fri Nov 09, 2012 8:19 pm

I just purchased a HDHomeRun Dual and I am using it with Windows Media Center (Windows 7 x64).

When I try to watch recorded TV (or even live TV of a show that is recording) I don't hear any audio. If I look at the recording's info and switch the audio to what WMC calls Spanish (but I think is just the secondary audio track) then I can hear audio. Most, but not all recordings have the problem. For example, every episode of The Big Bang Theory (regardless of channel) is broken. Also, any show that has the messed up audio will hang when I try to play it from my PS3 via media streaming/DLNA.

I am using the device to record ATSC OTA television in Houston, TX. Audio is fine with live TV, I've even installed the needed codecs to enable the audio in QuickTV. Note that my problem was present before I installed the needed codec to enable audio in QuickTv.

I've tried changing the audio recording settings to use any language but that didn't help.

TL;DR Win7 WMC TV recordings have a broken/missing primary audio track when recording OTA from my brand new HDHomeRun Dual.

Any ideas on what to try?

chasetec

HTPC Specs: Show details

Post by chasetec » Sat Nov 10, 2012 2:54 am

After more investigating it seemed to be related to one of the tuners. If a second show was recording at the same time that one would have working audio. Seems like one tuner was the default for live tv and the other was the default for recording.

Using the HDHomeRun setup app I did a repair of the windows components and then resetup the tuners in MediaCenter. Now everything seems to be working and I was able to record two shows at the same time with working audio tonight.