Disk Space Error

mogulman

HTPC Specs: Show details

Disk Space Error

Post by mogulman » Sun Nov 04, 2012 3:43 am

So.. I upgraded from Windows 7 ultimate 64-bit with WMC. 4 OTA Tuners to Windows 8 Pro with WMC. I am getting an error in WMC. It says "there is not enough disk space to record this show", anytime I try and record. But only if I run WMC as a regular user. If I run it as admin, then I don't get the error.

I have plenty of space, 1.8TB. I have tried changing the recording buffer back and forth to different drives, but that doesn't seem to make a difference.

I read about someone else having this issue too. Anyone else experience this?
http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/wind ... eccfb7dfe2

foxwood

Post by foxwood » Mon Nov 05, 2012 2:17 pm

Sounds like a permissions issue - I presume you've moved the Recorded TV folder to a different drive - have you checked the permissions on that folder?

mogulman

Post by mogulman » Mon Nov 05, 2012 2:39 pm

foxwood wrote:Sounds like a permissions issue - I presume you've moved the Recorded TV folder to a different drive - have you checked the permissions on that folder?
It's not. It is a bug. Since I posted. A number of people have reported the same issue. Hopefully MS will fix it, but it is MC (forgotten step child of Win 8)...

foxwood

Post by foxwood » Mon Nov 05, 2012 4:09 pm

The one thing I can guarantee is that the "collective wisdom" of the answers.microsoft.com forums is not reliable. It's a permissions issue - it's just a matter of figuring out what is triggering it.

What happens to scheduled recordings? (They aren't recorded by the foreground user, as they happen even when WMC isn't running in the foreground).

mogulman

Post by mogulman » Mon Nov 05, 2012 4:36 pm

Recordings happen fine. Just when running WMC as a user rather than administrator, it shows these exclamation points. Also through extenders, since they run as a regular user.

I tried giving EVERYONE, USERS, and Authenicated users, Full Control to my entire D: drive (temporarily) and it still shows the exclamation point.

I agree that its a permissions issue. Just not sure where to fix it, or if I can fix it.

BTW.. I also tried moving the Recording buffer to a different drive, deleting the Recorded TV folder, and then moving it back (WMC re-created the folder). still same issue.

foxwood

Post by foxwood » Mon Nov 05, 2012 5:00 pm

Have a look in the EventViewer, and see if there's anything in the Security log that might give a hint. I'm not sure if the SysInternals tools work under Win8 yet, but ProcessExplorer can probably pin this down.

mogulman

Post by mogulman » Mon Nov 05, 2012 6:00 pm

foxwood wrote:Have a look in the EventViewer, and see if there's anything in the Security log that might give a hint. I'm not sure if the SysInternals tools work under Win8 yet, but ProcessExplorer can probably pin this down.
I tried looking in event viewer in the security log, system, app, and pretty much every other log I could find. Nothing that sounds related.

Looked in Process Explorer, didn't see anything that seemed to help.

foxwood

Post by foxwood » Mon Nov 05, 2012 6:11 pm

Sorry I can't be of more help - my upgrade plans were interrupted by last weeks power outages, and upcoming travel plans, so I don't have a fully functional 8MC machine to check against.

weldontimbo

Post by weldontimbo » Sat Nov 10, 2012 1:51 am

I have been experiencing the same problem. I have tried adjusting the permissions for the drive, but still have the same problem. The only thing that works is to set WMC permissions to Administrator and then the problem goes away. I would love a solution.

Tony2255

Post by Tony2255 » Sat Nov 10, 2012 2:28 am

I seem to be having the same issue now too. Anyone find a fix yet?

Tony2255

Post by Tony2255 » Sun Nov 18, 2012 10:05 pm

Just wanted to update...we have been recording for the past three weeks and all recordings record yet if you look at the upcoming recordings it shows low disk space error. Everything works so i can live with the error

muaddib

Post by muaddib » Tue Jan 15, 2013 6:03 pm

weldontimbo wrote:I have been experiencing the same problem. I have tried adjusting the permissions for the drive, but still have the same problem. The only thing that works is to set WMC permissions to Administrator and then the problem goes away. I would love a solution.
Any idea on how to set MCE to start in admin mode by default?

wbroadley

Post by wbroadley » Tue Jan 15, 2013 10:33 pm

Try deleting your scheduled recordings and then re-set them again

Or go through the Media Center set up - the issue with his option is that you'll lose all your channels and have to start from scratch?

Did you upgrade from Win 7 or do a fresh install?

rjbeep

Post by rjbeep » Thu Mar 14, 2013 1:02 pm

Hi all... same situation as original poster.
Upgraded from 7 -> 8proWMC keeping all files and settings
All seems fine, scheduled recordings seem to be working so far.
Only issue is Yellow Triangle/Warnings on all scheduled recordings saying "won't record because there is not enough disk space"
Error only happens when I run WMC as a user (normal mode)
If I use "run as Administrator" to start WMC, there are no warnings in the scheduled Recordings; everything looks like it should.

Other than completely redoing the setup, has anybody managed to find a way to fix this yet? Seems the warnings are just an annoyance, but I'd really like to get rid of them if possible. I just don't want to go through the whole tuner/channel setup again if I can avoid it (multiple tuners, etc...)

thanks for any update.
rjb

leroys1000

Post by leroys1000 » Thu Mar 14, 2013 4:19 pm

Might try checking the hard drive properties and make
sure there isn't a disk usage quota being set,or just make sure quota is disabled.
That could cause a disk space error for normal users.

rjbeep

Post by rjbeep » Thu Mar 14, 2013 6:03 pm

appreciate the idea... unfortunately, verified that no quotas are set.

I finally gave up and used the workaround from the microsoft forum; blew away the WMC settings and went through the whole setup again. Now everything is fine.

thanks

TMan459

Post by TMan459 » Sat Mar 16, 2013 8:16 am

Yea I had a problem similar on a fresh Win8 install. I would get video playback issues (if i hit record, my video would stop and complain about codecs or something like that).

It seemed like a permissions issue. In WMC I just changed the recordings directory to a different drive, deleted the folder off the original drive, then switched it back.

Took care of it for me, just passing it along.