SiliconDust HDHomeRun PRIME - Owner's Thread

Ask about SiliconDusts HomeRun tuners here.
richard1980

HTPC Specs: Show details

Post by richard1980 » Fri Sep 28, 2012 4:15 pm

I thought Vista had some other method of boosting the tuner limit. I never used Vista, so maybe I'm wrong. Anybody know for sure?

mcewinter

Post by mcewinter » Fri Sep 28, 2012 4:31 pm

It was just aregistry hack back then. A quick search yields some promising results but I can't endorse any since I've never tried it.

Here's MCE Tuner extender for Vista and MCE2005...

http://download.cnet.com/MCE-Tuner-Exte ... 30102.html

...like I said, I haven't tried it.

bobstr

Post by bobstr » Mon Oct 22, 2012 3:38 pm

I'm finally moving up to cable card. My PRIME arrives today.... I can't wait to upgrade from the Hauppague HVR-2250 to this.

Then all I need is an M card so that I can get it all installed and paired up...

Any pointers for a PRIME newbie?

Thanks
Bob

barnabas1969

Post by barnabas1969 » Mon Oct 22, 2012 10:35 pm

bobstr wrote:I'm finally moving up to cable card. My PRIME arrives today.... I can't wait to upgrade from the Hauppague HVR-2250 to this.

Then all I need is an M card so that I can get it all installed and paired up...

Thanks
Bob
Yeah, take a couple of Valium before you call your cable company.

Scallica

Post by Scallica » Tue Oct 23, 2012 12:42 am

bobstr wrote: Any pointers for a PRIME newbie?
Disable the Windows Firewall before running the TV setup wizard. Although the HDHR software adds firewall exceptions, sometime the Windows Firewall still interferes.
HTPC Enthusiast / Forum Moderator - TGB.tv Code of Conduct

rmalbers

Post by rmalbers » Tue Oct 23, 2012 7:29 pm

barnabas1969 wrote:The only thing slow about my Linksys and HP extenders is boot-up. Everything else is almost as fast as it is directly on the PC. I think extender performance has a direct correlation to CPU and RAM in your PC.
I agree with this 100%. I just upgraded my CPU from a 1.86 Core Duo to a 3.0 Core Duo and I can't believe how much better my Linksys extender is running. In fact, it's so good I think I might put off buying an Echo for a while to see if there is a price drop. BTW: I'm on a wired 1 Gb network.

bobstr

Post by bobstr » Wed Oct 24, 2012 9:00 pm

barnabas1969 wrote:
bobstr wrote:I'm finally moving up to cable card. My PRIME arrives today.... I can't wait to upgrade from the Hauppague HVR-2250 to this.

Thanks
Bob
Hehe. good one.

But believe it or not, Comcast here in the Seattle area was actually pretty good and helping me out and getting it working on the first try.

but then, trying to get an SSD working in this media center PC, I have to re-install Windows 7, so we'll see how it all goes....

bobstr

Post by bobstr » Wed Oct 24, 2012 9:02 pm

Scallica wrote:
bobstr wrote: Any pointers for a PRIME newbie?
Disable the Windows Firewall before running the TV setup wizard. Although the HDHR software adds firewall exceptions, sometime the Windows Firewall still interferes.
Thanks. the software install went well and everything worked, but I'll keep that in mind if I need it.

The beasty is working quite well - I'm very happy with the first 24 hours.

slowbiscuit

Post by slowbiscuit » Thu Oct 25, 2012 3:35 pm

Comcast card provisioning is very good now through their Philippines-based card activation line, I've done cards 3 different times with them and all worked first try.

Their billing practices for cards unfortunately are not, because the charges are all over the map.

bobstr

Post by bobstr » Fri Oct 26, 2012 9:40 pm

bobstr wrote:
barnabas1969 wrote:

Thanks
Bob
Hehe. good one.

But believe it or not, Comcast here in the Seattle area was actually pretty good and helping me out and getting it working on the first try.

but then, trying to get an SSD working in this media center PC, I have to re-install Windows 7, so we'll see how it all goes....

Good news, the rebuild to use the SSD went well (I took out the Hauppague HVR-2250 that I was using while I had the PC in rebuild). Damn I love how quick it boots with the SSD (just remember to move the pagefile & the record folder off the SSD or you'll wear it out quick with the constant writes).

I am even more impressed with the PRIME than I was. It's sooo nice to have it just work compared to what I had before.

richard1980

Post by richard1980 » Fri Oct 26, 2012 11:22 pm

bobstr wrote:Good news, the rebuild to use the SSD went well (I took out the Hauppague HVR-2250 that I was using while I had the PC in rebuild). Damn I love how quick it boots with the SSD (just remember to move the pagefile & the record folder off the SSD or you'll wear it out quick with the constant writes).
You are correct about the recording folder, but not the page file. The page file should be stored on the SSD. While it does cause some writing to occur, the amount of data that gets written to the page file is minimal compared to the entire life of the drive. You'll be reading far more data from the page file than you'll be writing to it, so the benefit outweighs the cost.

JAJ

Post by JAJ » Sat Oct 27, 2012 12:36 am

I just installed the the Prime also and "it just works"....it is great...and to have dynamic access to the tuners across the network is a great plus. The guide operates smooth, extender performance is fantastic, I have 0 complaints.(thus far) :)

bobstr

Post by bobstr » Tue Oct 30, 2012 5:07 pm

In a previous post I mentioned that I had to re-install windows 7 + the Prime software to install an SSD as the boot drive on my PC.

I often listen to the radio stations via the CableCard configuration, and previously (even with the cable card installed), it would successfully launch the slide show.

Since the re-installation, no matter how I try to configure it, the MCE screen saver slide show will not work. Prior to the re-installation, I don't remember doing anything to activate a slide show of all of my pictures - yet on the new installation, after the timeout period, the screen goes blank instead of launching the slide show.

I've gone through the screen saver slide show config screens in MCE and reset things various ways trying to get it to cooperate. No luck though. It would seem that the screen saver is kicking in (going to a blank screen), but the slide show isn't.

Has any other PRIME user run into this?

foxwood

Post by foxwood » Tue Oct 30, 2012 6:04 pm

Have you installed the Ceton Companion server? It had a conflict with the 7MC screen server.

RyC

Post by RyC » Tue Oct 30, 2012 10:10 pm

If you do have the ceton companion services, the latest update fixes the screensaver problem.

bobstr

Post by bobstr » Wed Oct 31, 2012 7:07 pm

RyC wrote:If you do have the ceton companion services, the latest update fixes the screensaver problem.
Nope - no Ceton anything installed.

The only bits installed are Windows 7 with all updates, the drivers for the PRIME, drivers for the video card, MyMovies and W7CallerID.

UPDATE: I finally figured it out. Stupid user trick. The Windows 7 setting to turn off the display was set for 10 minutes (the default) and the media center default to start the screen saver slide show was 12 minutes (again - that's the default). I foolishly had thought that Media Center would be considered an active app and prevent the Windows 7 setting from activating and turning off the display. Apparently, before re-installing Windows 7 I had set the W7 'turn off the display' to 'never' so I hadn't run into the problem before. Now that I've set the Windows 7 timeout to 'never', the MCE slideshow screensaver works flawlessly.

KJohnson

Post by KJohnson » Sun Dec 02, 2012 1:33 am

Hi, I received my HDHomeRun Prime yesterday and connected it today and the Setup program can't find it (not detected) and says "0" tuners found. I turned off Windows Firewall tried again and I double checked all the connections and everything looked fine. I fired up Angry IP Scanner and did a cmd window - "arp -a" and I don't see anything additional showing up in the network.

Now I thought the unit would get a DHCP IP address handed to it and accept it but apparently not, could it be the unit is set to a different subnet 169.254.xxx.xxx (which I've read this thing is set to from factory) so it's not being seen on the home network subnet of 192.168.xxx.xxx???

After several Google searches I really didn't get many hits in regards to this so it must not be a common problem?

Do I really have to go to the trouble of setting up a small network at this subnet 192.254.x.x and change the subnet on the unit to the 192.168.x.x subnet? I can't believe it would be this "UN"-USER friendly or did I maybe get a bad unit? Both leds on the left side of the box are on and nothing on the right.

Help would be appreciated!

barnabas1969

Post by barnabas1969 » Sun Dec 02, 2012 2:19 pm

I have two Primes, and I didn't have to do anything but plug them into my network. My subnet address is 192.168.1.x.

Are you plugging the Prime into your router, or into a switch that is then up-linked to your router?
Is the light on the router/switch port illuminated when you plug in the Prime?
Does your router have DHCP enabled?
Is your HTPC plugged into the same switch/router?
Have you tried to contact SiliconDust support?

foxwood

Post by foxwood » Sun Dec 02, 2012 4:08 pm

KJohnson wrote:Now I thought the unit would get a DHCP IP address handed to it and accept it but apparently not, could it be the unit is set to a different subnet 169.254.xxx.xxx (which I've read this thing is set to from factory) so it's not being seen on the home network subnet of 192.168.xxx.xxx???
The 169.254 address is a "link local" address - basically it means that the device sent out a DHCP request, but it didn't get a response. If you disable the DHCP server on your router, your PC will also give itself a "link local address" in the 169.254 subnet. (I don't recomment that you do that test, unless you're sure you know how to recover).

Check the DHCP settings on your router, and also try plugging the HDHRP in somehwere else on your network.

KJohnson

Post by KJohnson » Sun Dec 02, 2012 4:19 pm

barnabas1969 wrote:I have two Primes, and I didn't have to do anything but plug them into my network. My subnet address is 192.168.1.x.
That's how I was thinking it should be, plug it in - it gets an IP address from the router and go.
barnabas1969 wrote:Are you plugging the Prime into your router, or into a switch that is then up-linked to your router?
Into a switch that is then up-linked to the router (DSL Modem wireless router)
barnabas1969 wrote:Is the light on the router/switch port illuminated when you plug in the Prime?
Yes, the led for that port comes on and the "gigabit" led comes on below that.
barnabas1969 wrote:Does your router have DHCP enabled?
Yes
barnabas1969 wrote:Is your HTPC plugged into the same switch/router?
Yes, same switch
barnabas1969 wrote:Have you tried to contact SiliconDust support?
I put a ticket in yesterday.
Thanks for getting back, I will try plugging it directly into the router.