Can't get companion app to recognize my computer

Discuss My Media Center for Windows 8, Windows RT, iOS, Android, and WP, and ask Ceton for support.
Forum rules
Ceton no longer participate in this forum. There is no official support mechanism for My Media Center.
Sceep881

HTPC Specs: Show details

Can't get companion app to recognize my computer

Post by Sceep881 » Wed Oct 10, 2012 1:53 pm

My Companion app scans and finds my computer but the IP addresses and ports it auto fills do not work (when I test port forwarding on the server side it says "port is not properly forwarded, please validate your router settings". I have an airport extreme and no idea how to do this....if I can't connect at all even in my home is there another problem too?

My internal IP address that auto fills in the ceton app matches my LAN adapter in ip config (I have another LAN Adapter as well called local area connection 2). The external IP address matches the IP address in my router settings. When I go to the "port mapping" tab in Airport's advanced tab, yet another IP address is shown as "private IP address.

Help?

foxwood

Post by foxwood » Wed Oct 10, 2012 4:41 pm

The port forwarding test in the Server is only for verifying whether your machine is reachable from the internet - don't even bother with it until you've got things working on your home network.

You say that the app scans your network and find the server, but won't connect to it?

Do you have another computer in your home network? Take the IP adress and port that the app on your phone reports and open a web browser on the other PC and try to connect to http://192.168.x.y:zzzz (192.168.x.y should be the ip address reported by the app, and zzzz will normally be 5832). You should at least get a response if the server is working properly.

The 2nd LAN adapter can make things more complicated, but if the scan finds the server, it the 2nd adapter shouldn't be a factor.

Sceep881

Post by Sceep881 » Wed Oct 10, 2012 5:54 pm

Thanks for response - I typed 192.168.xx.x.x.x:5832

My other computer (which is a Mac) showed "can't find the server" when I did that. My media center is connected via wired connection to router though I am sure that's not a factor. What now?

Motz

Post by Motz » Wed Oct 10, 2012 7:16 pm

So you shouldn't have to touch your router at all, that is only if you want to be able to access it from the outside world when you are on 3G or LTE.

When you run Diagnostics from the About tab on the Services Config does everything check out alright?

Also do you have any anti-virus installed like AVG, that might blocking it the out bound connection.

A few things to check besides the diagnostics.

1.) On your PC in either Chrome or Firefox enter: http://localhost:5832
-> You should see some XML that says "nothing to see here" if so that is good which means everything is up and running.

2.) On your device to go the browser and enter: http://IPofPC:5832
-> Where the IPofPC is the IP of your computer. You should see the same message.

If 1 works and 2 does not that means something is blocking the outgoing connection.

Another thing to check is to see if the port is conflicting with something else. you could change the port from 5832 to something else or follow these steps:
1.) hit windows start icon
2.) Type: run
3.) in the run prompt type: cmd
4.) then in the command prompt type in: netstat -o -n -a | findstr 0.0:5832

let me know how many entries you find. You should only see 1 that is "listening"
Attachments
image.png
image.png (4.5 KiB) Viewed 3027 times
I Write, Code, and Tweet

Sceep881

Post by Sceep881 » Thu Oct 11, 2012 3:06 am

Running security essentials

On 1) and 2) I got a line riffing Mos Eisley - "nothing to see here....move along....move along"

Ran the commands and I only see one listening

Motz

Post by Motz » Thu Oct 11, 2012 5:41 am

we recommend SE so that is all good there.

From what I can tell everything is 100% absolutely perfect, if you ran #2 on your device and got nothing to see here then your device is able to communicate with the HTPC.

So when you wifi scan the same IP and Port you used in the #2 test came up right? Do you just get Failed to connect? Did you enter a password on the services config (if so did you specific it on the pc inside of the companion app?)

you could try also adding it manually inside of the app and use the name of the pc... so for instance at home i use "motz-htpc" for the internal IP....

One more additional thing too is does your time on your device match the time on your HTPC? there is a security measure that we use that relies on them being withing a window.
I Write, Code, and Tweet

Sceep881

Post by Sceep881 » Thu Oct 11, 2012 11:44 am

Says failed to connect. Info I used in 2 is the same as the internal ip in the app. No password used and the times are synced....to the approx minute (can't do to the second)

Strange, huh?

Motz

Post by Motz » Thu Oct 11, 2012 7:37 pm

Hmmm I am really sorry that you are experiencing these issue with the app and for the time you have spent on it. For the times there is a 10 minute windows, just wanted to make sure they are closed.

Which device is it? iOS or Android?

I am running out of things to try.... I can always give you a refund as well.
I Write, Code, and Tweet

Sceep881

Post by Sceep881 » Sun Oct 14, 2012 2:36 pm

IOS

I want to figure this out!!,

Motz

Post by Motz » Sun Oct 14, 2012 7:19 pm

Alright so I am going to throw a few more things out there to try. Again I apologize for issues you are experiencing.

1.) Try to add a new pc in the compnaion app, but instead of using the IP of the HTPC enter the host name. so for instance the name of my htpc is: motz-htpc
you can find this when you open up a command prompt and type in "ipconfig /all"

if that doesn't work

2.) Since you have 2 lan adapters attempt the IP of the other lan adapter via ipconfig /all

if that doesn't work

3.) Change the port in the config to something else just to ensure it isn't that (doesn't sound like it though)... simply maybe change to 5833 on both

if that doesn't work

4.) restart htpc as well just to be sure it isn't something odd in the setup.

Also can you let me know which router your using. I know you said an airport earlier, just which model I will ensure that it isn't something odd with the router.
I Write, Code, and Tweet

Sceep881

Post by Sceep881 » Tue Oct 16, 2012 3:13 pm

Got it. Absolutely absurd issue which I refuse to post out of embarrassment

Sceep881

Post by Sceep881 » Tue Oct 16, 2012 5:09 pm

While I have you - three other quick issues / questions (in order of importance)

1) is there any way in the app to enter channel numbers rather than scrolling through as many as 1000 rows? When I try and submit #s in the text line it does not register

2) in the companion config I pointed to the folder where my movies are but they do not show up on my tablet...is this because I do not have "movies" in wmc pointed there as well (I use media browser not movies in the wmc menu)...if so, what is the point of using the config menu?

3) I thought I read somewhere that the search function also includes web content (not just my cable programming)

Thanks

Motz

Post by Motz » Tue Oct 16, 2012 11:31 pm

Sceep881 wrote:While I have you - three other quick issues / questions (in order of importance)

1) is there any way in the app to enter channel numbers rather than scrolling through as many as 1000 rows? When I try and submit #s in the text line it does not register

2) in the companion config I pointed to the folder where my movies are but they do not show up on my tablet...is this because I do not have "movies" in wmc pointed there as well (I use media browser not movies in the wmc menu)...if so, what is the point of using the config menu?

3) I thought I read somewhere that the search function also includes web content (not just my cable programming)

Thanks
1.) Not right now (in future update)... it does however remember your last spot (or you can go into settings and tell it to start at a specific channel every time)
2.) You are fine we are working on a fix right now for the movies not showing up give us a few more days.
3.) That was with the Q Companion back in the day before we expanded the product to all WMC users.

I am glad that it is working :)
I Write, Code, and Tweet

chickencream

Post by chickencream » Sun Aug 25, 2013 2:06 am

I wish you would post the resolution b/c I'm having the same problem

Motz

Post by Motz » Sun Aug 25, 2013 4:54 pm

He had the wrong date/time set on his PC. You need to ensure date/time and time zone are in sync between your device and you PC.
I Write, Code, and Tweet