Wrote a blog post about WMC...

Chat with other TGB members about whatever is on your mind.
Shyatic

HTPC Specs: Show details

Wrote a blog post about WMC...

Post by Shyatic » Mon Sep 24, 2012 7:52 pm

http://bit.ly/PhmUMz

Thought you guys might be interested... I'm still holding out hope that Microsoft gets back into the game and starts working on Media Center in a whole new way so that we can get some really nice competition to those pieces of garbage like AppleTV and GoogleTV.
Last edited by Shyatic on Tue Sep 25, 2012 7:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

newfiend

Post by newfiend » Mon Sep 24, 2012 9:46 pm

Nice Blog Post.. I even like the new renders of what a MC update could look like.

The problem with MC is that MS was way ahead of its time with Media Center IMO... The thing is.. now there are so many new ways to get content to a TV... The addition of the Ceton cableCARD tuners was the biggest/best step in the right direction for MC although it was a bit too late, MS has already moved on..

I (personally) love Media Center and wanted a "all in one BOX" that did everything. I wanted to eliminate all the added boxes for TV, DVD, Music etc and have it all in one box.,. The problem was there was no way to get a cable subscription easily into MC at that time (two + years ago) with out having cable boxes and IR blasters running all over the place...(what a mess!).

Now with the Ceton Tuners and Hauppauge/Silicon Dust getting in on the cable card game there is an easy way to get that content into an "all in one box" solution.

My Media Center PC records all my TV, gives me Live Tv, Plays my DVD's and Blu-Rays, Plays my large Mp3 collection through my AVR, Netflix, Hulu, MC Shoutcast.. it's endless the possablities...Plus it's a full blown PC on my TV!! Surfing the net on a bigscreen rules! I love MC, I think its the best DVR out there and it has been for some time!

Microsoft is just done trying to put a PC on every TV..They want you (us) to use the xbox as our next DVR solution. from the leaked roadmap for the next XBOX it looks like it will be an all in one solution if they go that route. The Xbox is a huge revenue stream for MS much more so than WMC. MS will continue to follow the money trail...As any good buisness would. They are putting all their bets on the next XBOX not only being a gaming system but also an entertainment center. As much as I would love to see a reboot of WMC..I just don't see it in the cards as it just doesn't bring in enough money for MS.
Unfortunately MC is going away .. slowly .. and that just sucks.

newfiend~
Last edited by newfiend on Mon Sep 24, 2012 10:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

spanner

Post by spanner » Mon Sep 24, 2012 10:03 pm

Nice read, and i agree,and i am hopeful. problem is as long as people pay 9 bucks a month for xbox live i dont see Microsoft
adding apps to MC for free

foxwood

Post by foxwood » Tue Sep 25, 2012 4:19 pm

Personally, I think that a large part of the problem with Media Center is that the decisions about it were made in the US, where the whole Cable Market made a PVR problematic. Without plug-and-play access to cable content, Media Center could never be marketed as a truly desirable product, and by the time Ceton delivered the InfiniTV, Microsoft, and the market in general, had moved on.

If Media Center had been developed with other markets in mind, it might have been a stronger contender, and been in a healthier position when Cable Card support finally arrived in the US.

Shyatic

Post by Shyatic » Tue Sep 25, 2012 7:15 pm

I don't see why we shouldn't be able to use WMC as an 'aggregator' and even slip it into XBox if people want. I don't want Media Center just for TV.. but for everything related to media. Which is why I think we need new APIs to support the Netflix, Amazon, Hulu, and other media apps to integrate seamlessly into a unified experience.