Ceton Companion now AVAILABLE!

Discuss My Media Center for Windows 8, Windows RT, iOS, Android, and WP, and ask Ceton for support.
Forum rules
Ceton no longer participate in this forum. There is no official support mechanism for My Media Center.
Motz

HTPC Specs: Show details

Post by Motz » Sun Sep 09, 2012 1:38 am

erkotz wrote:
calbear88 wrote:I noticed that after installing the comapnion on my windows 7 PC, the computer slows to a crawl and becomes unresponsive. Has anyone else noticed this? Is it indexing files?
This isn't an issue that we're aware of. What does your CPU usage look like, and what process(es) are using it? Also, if you uninstall the app, does the problem subside?
Also ensure that you have the latest version of the services.
I Write, Code, and Tweet

globalcop

Post by globalcop » Mon Sep 10, 2012 11:43 pm

Has anyone replicated the screen saver problem on xbox extender? Worth noting also that if screen saver is already in effect, starting a show with Ceton app will not wake screen up. Still keeping my old remote in my lap. Not using app much since these bugs are kind of killing all the functions I was looking forward to. Not being able to resume is main killer.

mikinho

Post by mikinho » Tue Sep 11, 2012 12:11 am

globalcop wrote:Has anyone replicated the screen saver problem on xbox extender? Worth noting also that if screen saver is already in effect, starting a show with Ceton app will not wake screen up. Still keeping my old remote in my lap. Not using app much since these bugs are kind of killing all the functions I was looking forward to.
If you go to the Ceton remote and use the navigation buttons does it wake for you?
globalcop wrote:Not being able to resume is main killer.
Resume? Do you have a post on that you can refer me to?

wmcuser1233

Post by wmcuser1233 » Tue Sep 11, 2012 4:51 am

I think they might be talking about resuming playback. Any show that you start from the app is unable to be resumed if you stop it.

mikinho

Post by mikinho » Tue Sep 11, 2012 5:56 am

wmcuser1233 wrote:I think they might be talking about resuming playback. Any show that you start from the app is unable to be resumed if you stop it.
Thanks. We discussed and will address.

Also, thanks to everyone for the feedback (good and bad) so far--keep it coming.

globalcop

Post by globalcop » Thu Sep 13, 2012 12:51 am

mikinho wrote:
globalcop wrote:Has anyone replicated the screen saver problem on xbox extender? Worth noting also that if screen saver is already in effect, starting a show with Ceton app will not wake screen up. Still keeping my old remote in my lap. Not using app much since these bugs are kind of killing all the functions I was looking forward to.
If you go to the Ceton remote and use the navigation buttons does it wake for you?
globalcop wrote:Not being able to resume is main killer.
Resume? Do you have a post on that you can refer me to?
Yes, the navigation buttons in the Ceton app do wake up the screen. That helps, but it would be nice if it worked normally and realized I was watching and didn't go into screensaver mode (via the XBOX).

Regarding the "resume," from my post #57 on page 3,
Something else for you to check:

If I start a program via the app, the screen on my Xbox extender-based TV starts to dim into screensaver mode as though it doesn't know I'm watching a show.

Also (and perhaps this is more of a feature request) there is no way to resume a show (this is actually a big deal and will cause me to simply go back to my old ways). If I start a show that was in progress using the app, it simply starts from the beginning again. That's a deal breaker, especially since the remote lacks any number keys and I can't just type "25" then "Play" to skip straight to 25 minutes into the show, for example.

And, is there a way to set a device as the default in either iOS or Android? My WMC box is just a headless PC in the closet but every time I open the Remote on the App I have to use additional button presses to get off the default WMC device and choose my extender. This is even within an existing session of using the app, just leaving the Remote screen to search for example, then going back to Remote and I have to keep re-choosing the correct device. It would actually be nice to just have the app ignore the WMC entirely so I don't have to keep being interrupted and prompted for device for playback, etc, which is almost always defaulting to the wrong one.

I hope this feedback is useful.
Maybe I'm unusual, but I find myself resuming shows very often. Not being able to do that has pretty much rendered the app useless. If this is not a bug and just a lacking feature, I might ask if I can possibly get a refund. Also still wondering about the skip fwd and back buttons. Those are my most used remote buttons. In the meantime, I'm really not using the app at all. And I bought 3 of them (iPad, HTC One X and my wife's Nexus 7). Maybe I jumped the gun :/

mikinho

Post by mikinho » Thu Sep 13, 2012 2:54 am

globalcop wrote: Yes, the navigation buttons in the Ceton app do wake up the screen. That helps, but it would be nice if it worked normally and realized I was watching and didn't go into screensaver mode (via the XBOX).
Fixed in next public build.
globalcop wrote:Maybe I'm unusual, but I find myself resuming shows very often. Not being able to do that has pretty much rendered the app useless. If this is not a bug and just a lacking feature, I might ask if I can possibly get a refund. Also still wondering about the skip fwd and back buttons. Those are my most used remote buttons. In the meantime, I'm really not using the app at all. And I bought 3 of them (iPad, HTC One X and my wife's Nexus 7). Maybe I jumped the gun :/
Skip FWD \ Skip BACK work on the HTPC, just not the Extender. It is fixed in the next public build.

For the resume versus play at beginning. We will be implementing.

pduncan1963

Post by pduncan1963 » Fri Sep 28, 2012 10:03 am

Please excuse me if this has been asked already, but I dont' see the question anywhere else.

Is there the ability to access the Ceton Companion from a remote computer's web browser via the internet?

barnabas1969

Post by barnabas1969 » Fri Sep 28, 2012 1:38 pm

pduncan1963 wrote:Please excuse me if this has been asked already, but I dont' see the question anywhere else.

Is there the ability to access the Ceton Companion from a remote computer's web browser via the internet?
No, but it has been asked for in the thread for enhancement requests.

If you know how to write Java (I don't), I would bet that it wouldn't be too difficult to write your own Java interface by watching the network communications between your phone and the PC (assuming that the app doesn't encrypt the communications)... and then making your own app that communicates in the same way.

Motz

Post by Motz » Wed Oct 03, 2012 5:55 am

Some fancy pics of some Android Tablet & phone optimizations for next version on Google Play, amazon and nook
Attachments
A4PYdELCQAAYlCW.png
666084715.png
665983773.png
665981704.png
665948897.png
I Write, Code, and Tweet

bts0004

Post by bts0004 » Wed Oct 03, 2012 2:19 pm

Is the Ceton site down? I've been trying most of the morning to reach the main site, as well as the Companion site, but it's not responding.

BTW, I've had great experiences so far running the server and app!

newfiend

Post by newfiend » Wed Oct 03, 2012 3:03 pm

Site seems to he down at the moment. I would try again later today could be a server issue...

Sent from my SGH-i937 using Board Express

STC

Post by STC » Wed Oct 03, 2012 3:19 pm

^ It's up again for me.
By the Community, for the Community. 100% Commercial Free.

Want decent guide data back? Check out EPG123

newfiend

Post by newfiend » Wed Oct 03, 2012 4:59 pm

Same for me, back up and running.

Sent from my SGH-i937 using Board Express

SikSlayer

Post by SikSlayer » Wed Oct 03, 2012 8:27 pm

Motz wrote:Some fancy pics of some Android Tablet & phone optimizations for next version on Google Play, amazon and nook
REAL nice. Hope to see this in released code soon!

jacobsjg

Post by jacobsjg » Wed Nov 21, 2012 3:56 pm

Before I submit a bug report, can anyone verify whether the current stable version of the services / latest android app has resolved the screensaver comes up after a while issue? A while back a post was made by Ceton indicating a fix would be in the next public release, but I saw it today (just installed the tool this morning). Details are on htpc box (win 7 x64) media center was fullscreen (not exclusive), used android tablet to kick off a recorded show. After some time, the WMC photos screensaver popped up. Pressing a button on our normal remote woke it up.

If this is supposed to already be fixed, I'll open an issue, otherwise will wait until the next release, or try the beta if it is fixed in there. Anyone know?

mikinho

Post by mikinho » Wed Nov 21, 2012 4:06 pm

I thought it was fixed but a few people reported it so I made a different "fix" that was released w/ the W8 build yesterday and I hope to have a W7 build today.

jacobsjg

Post by jacobsjg » Wed Nov 21, 2012 5:53 pm

mikinho wrote:I thought it was fixed but a few people reported it so I made a different "fix" that was released w/ the W8 build yesterday and I hope to have a W7 build today.
Good to hear- I assume the new Win7 build you are referring to will be beta. I haven't run anything but the current stable, so do not know if my particular issue has since been fixed in any of the beta releases, but will chime in as to whether the new version fixes it (once it becomes available).

Crash2009

Post by Crash2009 » Sun Nov 25, 2012 12:16 am

I am new to this app thing, and have absolutely no experience with Android. I have an Infini4 and have 2 Echo's on pre-order from Newegg. I just ordered this tablet http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 0U00CA1352 for the wife, for Xmas. I thought it might be a nice touch to add the Companion App to the pre-mentioned tablet.

Does the app run on Android 4.0 (Ice Cream Sandwich)?

Motz

Post by Motz » Sun Nov 25, 2012 12:32 am

Crash2009 wrote:I am new to this app thing, and have absolutely no experience with Android. I have an Infini4 and have 2 Echo's on pre-order from Newegg. I just ordered this tablet http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 0U00CA1352 for the wife, for Xmas. I thought it might be a nice touch to add the Companion App to the pre-mentioned tablet.

Does the app run on Android 4.0 (Ice Cream Sandwich)?
Yep the Ceton companion works great on over 2000+ devices running anything from Android 2.2+. It is optimized for 4.0 and 4.2 as well with new features as well as for tablets.

Something to be aware of though is that AGPtek devices are NOT Google Play certified devices, which means that paid applications that are downloaded from the google play store may not pass verification and might not work. My recommendation for you is to download and install the Amazon App Store and download our app from there. If you have any issues I am here to help.

I would personally recommend the Google Nexus 7 or Google Nexus 10 for the best possible android tablets.
I Write, Code, and Tweet