Xbox 360 Media Center Extender driver failed to install

Troubleshoot and discuss the XBOX 360, XBOX One, Linksys, and other extenders.
Diverge

HTPC Specs: Show details

Xbox 360 Media Center Extender driver failed to install

Post by Diverge » Tue Aug 14, 2012 4:06 pm

Anyone ever get this error, and know how to fix it?

I just did a clean install of Windows 7 Standard Embedded and can't get my Xbox to be added as an extender. I could have sworn it worked on my previous install of the same OS.

I tried turning UAC back on, since I had it off and it shows that little shield icon thing when you add an extender from within media center 7, but that didn't help either. It goes to configuring the extender but errors out. There is a systray notification saying the Xbox 360 Media Center Extender driver failed to install.

edit: I just checked the eventlog, there's 3 errors for media center

ID 301
ID 538
ID 543

edit2: Just figured I'd add that I have an Intel DQ77KB motherboard, which has 2 onboard NIC's, both are connected. Latest Intel Pro nic drivers for this board installed, nothing changed from the default settings. Some of the errors in event log mention uPNP, so I'm guessing my issue might be network related. Maybe I should disable one of the nics?

edit3: actually it said failed to find the driver.
Last edited by Diverge on Thu Aug 16, 2012 3:53 am, edited 1 time in total.

Diverge

Post by Diverge » Thu Aug 16, 2012 12:40 am

No one has any ideas? :cry:

adam1991

Post by adam1991 » Thu Aug 16, 2012 12:55 am

my first question is, Win 7 FES?

Now, I won't say you didn't have it working before. But my first thought is, Embedded versions are "owned" by an OEM that customized the code to his specific requirements.

I can't imagine an OEM, outside of Ceton and the like, who would bother to include Media Center in an Embedded system.

Ergo, I can't help but wonder if this specific setup worked before.

Diverge

Post by Diverge » Thu Aug 16, 2012 3:36 am

Nah, it's definitively Windows Embedded Standard 7. You can download an evaluation of it right from MS http://www.microsoft.com/download/en/de ... x?id=11887 It's full blown edition, only difference you need the proper key at install.

I'm pretty sure it worked on my last system, Intel DH61AG, but I recently updated my system to the newer Intel DQ77KB, along with all new hardware. I'm in the process of redoing my older DH61AG w/ WES7, so for a sanity check I'll see if my Xbox will connect as an extender or if I'm just going crazy.

edit: Another slight difference between the 2 systems is that when I installed the OS on the DH61AG I used the Set Top Box template. After dealing with not having a desktop, and how it's such a pain in the butt to CTRL-ALT-DEL open task manager, run command> CMD or explorer to get around the OS and do stuff, on the recent system I chose the top option with has a full desktop, but you have to manually add Media Center to the template during setup... maybe I missed something it needs beside Media Center ?

I was just going to format my old system and start over... but I think I'll take it home from work tonight and try it to see if the extender works before I format and redo it w/ a desktop (manually adding Media Center to the template at setup).

Diverge

Post by Diverge » Thu Aug 16, 2012 4:47 am

I just booted up my DH61AG system, which runs WES7 as well, and was able to add my xbox as an extender.

Now I need to format that system, and reinstall WES7 w/o using the Set Top Box template (manually adding media center) to narrow down if it's the OS install/setup, or something about my DQ77KB system that's preventing me from adding extenders. I guess I can also try a normal Win 7 install on a different HD on the DQ77KB, if that doesn't work it definitely has something to do with the motherboard.

Does anyone have any experience with the Intel NIC's on the DQ77KB? They have all kinda of advanced features... maybe it has to do with that?

Diverge

Post by Diverge » Fri Aug 17, 2012 5:51 am

Formatted and reinstalled WES7 on my DH61AG using the Application Compatibility Template, adding Media Center feature - basically this installs pretty much everything for the OS, installed latest Intel chipset, Pro NIC, iGPU, and USB3 drivers.... went to add media center extender and now I have the same problem as I do on my DQ77KB system. says it can't find the Xbox 360 Media Center Extender driver.

conclusion: it has to either be something i am doing or not doing when using the Application Compatibility Template, or something about the latest drives.

tomorrow I'll install normal windows w/ the same intel drivers. If that works, then it's gotta be something in the WES7 setup, if it doesn't then it's gotta be something about the drivers (in which case I'll go back to the motherboards DVD drivers).

Diverge

Post by Diverge » Fri Aug 17, 2012 5:17 pm

I figured out the problem and fixed it.

During the WES7 setup, after adding features - Media Center, you need to add - driver - media center extender uPNP x-driver. Thankfully I just discovered DISMUI, which lets you add/remove features and drivers without having to do a complete reinstall :)