What does everyone use to convert WTV files?

Experiences and questions about WMC on your iPhone, Droid, WP7, and more.
WScottCross

HTPC Specs: Show details

What does everyone use to convert WTV files?

Post by WScottCross » Sun Jul 03, 2011 11:26 pm

I have a Motorola Xoom and I have had lots of trouble finding an app that will convert my HD recorded movies for use on the tablet. I tried DVD Catalyst and it is a really nice app, but it chokes on most 1080i content (possibly related to the 29/59 frame rate bug). The best I have come up so far is converting the recordings back to DVR-MS and using HandBrake to convert them to MP4 from there. It's a little too much manual manipulation and I'm hoping for something a little more automated.

What do you use?

rbmorse

Post by rbmorse » Mon Jul 04, 2011 1:49 am

I use VideoReDo version 4 to prepare content for my iPad. Not free, but it works well.

gpatlanta

Post by gpatlanta » Mon Jul 04, 2011 4:42 am

I haven't used it myself, but understand MC Buddy works well for this type of task. I have been beta testing Remote Potato for iPad and just wanted to throw out to you that this provides a ver nice and high quality streaming option and I'm fairly certain there is an android app for it as well already. I have used Video Redo as well before and it works quite well. Additionally, with Handbrake and Video Redo you can take advantage of command line interface if you are comfortable writing batch files to help automate all or part of your needs.
Greg

spaceboy

Post by spaceboy » Mon Jul 04, 2011 11:09 am

why would you convert when you can just stream? Air Video and Remote Potato are both fantastic at this.

rbmorse

Post by rbmorse » Mon Jul 04, 2011 2:33 pm

One reason I convert is to load the iPad with recorded stuff I haven't had time to watch yet and catch up while I'm traveling. A formula 1 race is the perfect length for the ABQ to LAX flight.

rbmorse

Post by rbmorse » Mon Jul 04, 2011 4:31 pm

Correct me if I'm remembering incorrectly, but aren't all the streaming utilities like RemotePotato unable to handle DRM protected recordings?

WScottCross

Post by WScottCross » Mon Jul 04, 2011 6:04 pm

Thanks for the replies. I was trying to avoid VideoReDo because it's pretty expensive, but I guess you get what you pay for. Handbrake worked well but it sucked having to convert to DVR-MS and then convert and then I still had commercials in the output file. VideoReDo can do it all with it's Ad Detective scanner and cut lists. I guess I'll just pay for it and be done with it.

I want to convert them for use while travelling, which was a major factor in purchasing the tablet in the first place.

spaceboy

Post by spaceboy » Mon Jul 04, 2011 7:17 pm

rbmorse wrote:Correct me if I'm remembering incorrectly, but aren't all the streaming utilities like RemotePotato unable to handle DRM protected recordings?
thankfully there is no DRM protection on WMC recorded media in the UK

gpatlanta

Post by gpatlanta » Wed Jul 06, 2011 11:02 am

rbmorse wrote:Correct me if I'm remembering incorrectly, but aren't all the streaming utilities like RemotePotato unable to handle DRM protected recordings?
You are correct, but for the same reason you cannot convert these files so streaming for me provides as good as solution as I can get with full access to all my movies and access to those recordings which are not DRMed.
Greg

Scallica

Post by Scallica » Wed Jul 06, 2011 11:30 am

rbmorse wrote:I use VideoReDo version 4 to prepare content for my iPad. Not free, but it works well.
VideoRedo also has a batch manager, so you can convert several files at once.
HTPC Enthusiast / Forum Moderator - TGB.tv Code of Conduct

Number1

Post by Number1 » Sun Jan 29, 2012 5:34 am

I use MCE buddy and a script I wrote as a scheduled task to add the converted shows to the "automatically add to iTunes folder". Works well. And by the way, thanks for making this new site. I was a member at the old greenbutton before MS took over. The script is for iOS, but MCE buddy does a really good job and it's pretty much hands free for converting WTV to mp4.

toshfive

Post by toshfive » Sat Feb 04, 2012 6:51 pm

I just started using mce buddy. I like it.

In the past ive used Toshiba's Gigbyte media player (80g), so i've not needed to convert anything, now that we're using ipad & itouch...

anyways, i wrote a script that moves over the converted files to the laptop that sync itunes, now its grab n go.

chris198810

Post by chris198810 » Sun Jun 02, 2013 2:01 am

As you know TV shows recorded with Windows media center are encoded in WTV (DVR-MS on windows vista) proprietary file format, which is incompatible with iTunes, so it be painful experience when you wanna add WTV files into your iTunes library. Therefore, converting WTV to a common video like mp4, mov is necessary. Here is a link for you that teach you how to convert WT/DVR-MS files with a professional WTV convert app.

Source from: http://video-playback-tips.com/import-w ... to-itunes/

Tigersoul

Post by Tigersoul » Mon Nov 17, 2014 7:36 pm

Old thread, but I'm new here and thought I'd contribute. I also use my setup for travel and use Bigasoft's video converter for this purpose.

aeblank

Post by aeblank » Tue Nov 18, 2014 2:38 am

I use handbrake, but suddenly getting bit by SAP audio. I can't get rid of it!

Crash2009

Post by Crash2009 » Tue Nov 18, 2014 4:34 am

I don't convert anything.

Couldn't you just install XBMC on the tablet, and set it up as a localhost, and play the .wtv files from USB on the flight? (without having to convert)

Then, once you get to your hotel room's internet connection or 3G-4G, use the tablets browser (with WebM-HTML5) to connect with your HTPC back home, and watch your own TV channels, via WMC Server + MB3 Server.

Seems to work great for me, not sure if it will suit your circumstances though.

aeblank

Post by aeblank » Wed Nov 19, 2014 3:44 am

I have limited data at home. They are just for my boy in the car. I convert to reduce the size.

LuckyDay

Post by LuckyDay » Tue Jan 27, 2015 10:10 pm

I wouldn't mind converting some of these files from WTV too. The file size is gigantic and streaming through MB3 is a pain.

woorold

Post by woorold » Fri Apr 17, 2015 9:15 am

I use Faasoft Video Converter to convert WTV files.

It helps you convert WTV to many other video formats like MP4, AVI, MOV, WMV, MKV, FLV, etc.

It also allows you to convert WTV to audio files such as MP3, WAV, M4A, AAC, etc.

mjktg99

Post by mjktg99 » Fri May 01, 2015 6:00 pm

LuckyDay wrote:I wouldn't mind converting some of these files from WTV too. The file size is gigantic and streaming through MB3 is a pain.
I am using EMBY(MB3) as my main interface now. I have it on my Roku's. I am using MCEBuddy to do my conversions. I just worked through getting the conversion right so both of my ROKU's will direct play the files with no transcoding whatsoever. I had FPS issues and audio issue because one of my TV's wont decode Dolby or DTS.

MCEBuddy gets my vote.