Missing channel on HDHR Prime. Where is the channel map?

Chat with other TGB members about whatever is on your mind.
STC

HTPC Specs: Show details

Post by STC » Tue Aug 07, 2012 6:34 pm

In Guide Tool, there is an icon that looks like a green PCI card to the left of refresh. Click that, select 1 tuner and then add channel. No need to add for the other tuners, Guide Tool will do it. Once added, make sure it is selected with a tick in the left column. Wait about 30 seconds before looking for it in MC.
By the Community, for the Community. 100% Commercial Free.

Want decent guide data back? Check out EPG123

barnabas1969

Post by barnabas1969 » Tue Aug 07, 2012 6:35 pm

OK, so here's what I THINK I should do...

Add a QAM channel. It should be 107.1453. Unfortunately, you can't add a channel with more than 3-digits to the right of the decimal point in Media Center. Got any ideas?

STC

Post by STC » Tue Aug 07, 2012 6:40 pm

Just add 1770 to both number and physical number cells. Callsign to whatever you want.

STC

Post by STC » Tue Aug 07, 2012 6:41 pm

You're just telling MC to tune to channel number 1770. The cablecard will do the rest.

barnabas1969

Post by barnabas1969 » Tue Aug 07, 2012 6:55 pm

That's freaking awesome! I didn't know I could do that. Perfect. Thanks!

barnabas1969

Post by barnabas1969 » Tue Aug 07, 2012 7:01 pm

I had to add the channel for each tuner, and then merge them together... but that was pretty easy. It works!

STC

Post by STC » Tue Aug 07, 2012 10:06 pm

That's weird as I only add to one and all tuners get the info. Either way glad you got it going.

barnabas1969

Post by barnabas1969 » Wed Aug 08, 2012 12:37 am

I may have a different version of Guide Tool. I installed Guide Tool in early 2011 and have not updated it since. When i played around with adding the channel in Media Center's settings menu, it did add it to every QAM tuner (including my ClearQAM tuners)... but I was attempting to enter it as 107.1453 and could not enter the 4th digit after the decimal. It added it as 107.145, which is obviously incorrect, but it did add it for all of the QAM tuners. Maybe if I had added it in Media Center as 1770 it would have worked. Either way, it works now and I'm happy. It would be better if there was guide data, but I can do manual recordings if needed. I did report it on Microsoft/s website, but I'm not hopeful that they will do anything about it before the Olympics are finished.

Since I have the 3D channel working in Media Center now, I have a couple of observations:

1) The TV automatically detected the side-by-side image when using the cable box. It does not when using Media Center. I had to press the 3D button on the remote, and choose side-by-side. I assume this is because the TV does not expect to get a 1080p side-by-side image. It was 1080i from the cable box, but my PC is set to 1080p.

2) The nVidia GT 430 obviously does a better job at deinterlacing than the TV does... either that, or the TV does a better job of rendering 3D from a side-by-side image that has already been deinterlaced by the source device. In either case, there are fewer jaggies on diagonal lines when using the PC as a progressive-scan source.

3) The Media Center menus and progress bar look weird when the TV is set to side-by-side 3D, but that's understandable. I'll have to check to see if menus in the STB look weird too.

This is my first time viewing 3D that is not from a 3D BluRay. The BluRays definitely have an advantage in resolution, especially when it is a wide shot where the subject is not very large in the frame... but it is much better than I expected.

If I had it my way, all TV would be in 3D. I don't have any problem wearing 3D glasses... the ones for my Samsung TV are quite comfortable and work well with my prescription glasses too. When the content is filmed in true 3D (using actual 3D cameras and real-life subjects, instead of animated or 2D content that is converted to 3D in post-production), it really makes an HDTV appear to be a window to another world.

barnabas1969

Post by barnabas1969 » Wed Aug 08, 2012 2:47 am

Regarding #3 above, the STB from the cable company has the same problem with the menus and progress bar. The menus and progress bar are definitely messed up on their box too.

I've been watching some free VOD content in 3D. It is in top/bottom mode, which makes a lot of sense as far as perceived resolution goes... I wonder why the NBC 3D Olympics channel chose side-by-side... the best option IMO would be checkerboard (which may not be supported on all 3DTV's) with the 2nd best being top/bottom and worst being side-by-side (both of the latter are fully supported on all 3DTV's).

The reason top/bottom is better than side-by-side has to do with the way the human brain interpolates what we see. It would also work better with passive 3D TV's, since they are designed with polarizing filters that have odd/even horizontal lines polarized in opposite directions. If you have a passive 3DTV, side-by-side is the worst of all possible scenarios because you will perceive twice as much loss in resolution as a person who views the same content on an active 3D display... whereas top/bottom content will look the same on both active and passive displays.

As an observation, I cannot tell very much difference between top/bottom and 3D BluRay (frame packing)... whereas side-by-side is obviously deficient compared to either top/bottom or frame packing.

As an additional note: I forgot how much the menus from the cable company suck. We Media Center users complain about EPG data... but we forget how much more we get in Media Center compared to what the cable companies provide. In the southeastern United States they have a saying: "You can attract more flies with honey than with vinegar." Maybe it would behoove us more if we praise Microsoft for their accomplishments with Media Center than it would to complain about the problems we experience and the fears that Media Center will cease to exist. If enough of us praise them for the wonderful thing that is Media Center, maybe it will help. Or... maybe I'm just an idealist. But... complaining hasn't helped... so maybe we should try a new method of attack.

I'll keep the STB long enough to watch the free VOD stuff. It's mostly documentaries... but still very cool... and well worth the $8.00 per month... until I run out of new content to watch.