TV Recording Glitchy on Extender

Troubleshoot and discuss the XBOX 360, XBOX One, Linksys, and other extenders.
tworivers

HTPC Specs: Show details

TV Recording Glitchy on Extender

Post by tworivers » Tue Jan 10, 2012 8:13 pm

My Extender Linksys DMA2100 plays any recorded TV programs very glitchy and unwatchable you can see the picture but it freezez and breaks up.
It is connect to my network via a wired connection, when i test the connection via the extender it shows full green bars capable of viewing hdtv.
It will play movie and you can watch Live tv with no problems at all. It is only a problem with the recorded TV on the extender, its doesn't matter whether the recording is set via the extender or the media center.
All the recorded TV programs will play on the media center with no problems but not the extender.
I thought it could be a problem with the network, but everything else, films , live tv work fine.

I have tried the following without any joy.
1) Reset
2) re setup extender with media center.
3) Change the location of recorded tv programs.

I can't find anything on the net Hope someone can help.

Thanks

Scallica

Post by Scallica » Tue Jan 10, 2012 8:26 pm

Please post more specific information about your hardware.
HTPC Enthusiast / Forum Moderator - TGB.tv Code of Conduct

tworivers

Post by tworivers » Wed Jan 11, 2012 4:43 pm

AMD athlon (tm) 7750 dual core 2.7ghz. 4gb ram. win 7 64bit. nvida gforce network controller. Pinnacle PCTV 7010x dual anologue dvb-t dvb-s. Display adaptor nvida gforce gt220.

Hope that everything you need.

Note:

This problem has only just started 3 weeks maybe, prior to that everthing was fine.

Scallica

Post by Scallica » Thu Jan 12, 2012 11:58 am

What motherboard do you have? What network adapter is on the board? Check if there is a newer network driver on the motherboard's website and the network adapter manufacturer's website. You can always roll back the driver if needed.

Also, share the "Recorded TV" folder on your main system, and access the share from another system (laptop), and play a recorded show and test the quality.

newfiend

Post by newfiend » Thu Jan 12, 2012 8:30 pm

I would also suggest checking for driver updates, Mainboard, Networking etc..
I would also check the HDD your Recorded TV is on.. See if maybe the HDD is starting to show signs of wear.. Since this only happens on Recorded TV I am wondering if that area of the HDD (which would most likely see a lot of use) is just starting to go bad or have bad sectors on it?
newfiend~

tworivers

Post by tworivers » Sat Jan 14, 2012 2:36 pm

Foxcom Mother Board . Nvida network adaptor ( both updated) Extender still the same.

Accessed recorded tv via laptop worked perfect.

connected laptop in place of ectender i.e same network cable. Everthing worked fine.

My extender shows perfect network connection i,e full bars on graph. It also plays everything else films, live tv etc perfect its only recorded tv??

it seems to me to be the extender its self?

Any other ideas would be appriciated

newfiend

Post by newfiend » Sat Jan 14, 2012 3:24 pm

Extender up to date on firmware?..
Have you tried removing the extender and then re-adding it?. Strange it only acts up on the one thing.. Did you check the hdd for errors?

Sent from my SGH-i937 using Board Express

Scallica

Post by Scallica » Sat Jan 14, 2012 5:14 pm

newfiend wrote:Have you tried removing the extender and then re-adding it?.
I agree. After deleting the extender, before re-adding it to the system, right-click on My Computer, and select Manage. Go to "Local Users and Groups", Users, and delete the Mcx-1 user.

tworivers

Post by tworivers » Sun Jan 15, 2012 11:59 am

hi thanks again for your input:

Hd Drive checked, seems to be fine as it played ok via the laptop. I have also swapped the recorded folder to another Hd and its still the same.

The lastest firmware i can find is 1.1.12 and mine is up to date.

Juts tried removing and re installing and its still the same????????. I deleted the extender via devices and printers and the remove the Mcx1 as you described.

Everything else is fine it just seems to be the recording aspect. i have just watched a live program and the rewond it and it played glitchy.

This is all very strange

newfiend

Post by newfiend » Sun Jan 15, 2012 6:02 pm

Try updating DirectX end user runtime via the web installer (version 9.0c). Sometimes helps with certain playback issues. Does it only do this on recorded tv or live tv as well?

Sent from my SGH-i937 using Board Express

tworivers

Post by tworivers » Sun Jan 15, 2012 8:04 pm

I have just converted a WTV recorded tv file to a AVI file and now it plays ok? I obviously don't want to have to convert all my TV recording to avi. any new ideas?

newfiend

Post by newfiend » Mon Jan 16, 2012 12:23 am

tworivers wrote:I have just converted a WTV recorded tv file to a AVI file and now it plays ok? I obviously don't want to have to convert all my TV recording to avi. any new ideas?
do you have any codec packs installed? such as ffdshow or Sharks? Anything besides Windows built in codecs.. ?

Scallica

Post by Scallica » Mon Jan 16, 2012 6:04 pm

tworivers wrote:I have just converted a WTV recorded tv file to a AVI file and now it plays ok?
What happens if you convert the WTV to DVR-MS?

tworivers

Post by tworivers » Mon Jan 16, 2012 9:03 pm

Hi Folks thanks for your continued suggestions:

I have update direct X; No better

I had a codec pack installed, Klite. But i uninstalled to check if that was causing any conflict: No better.

I have tried converting WTV to DVR-MS via right click: Still the same. But Avi works?

This only happens on Recorded TV, Live TV is great.

Its as if the extender needs upgrading or something?

Cheers

tworivers

Post by tworivers » Mon Jan 16, 2012 9:13 pm

I have just tried the following:

Set a program to record, go to the extender start watching the program that is being recorded (live) and everything is fine,rewind the few seconds i have just watched and its glitchy, FF it to ware it is live again and it is fine. Weird

Scallica

Post by Scallica » Mon Jan 16, 2012 9:21 pm

Try a factory reset on the extender. If that doesn't work, then I would suggest trying another extender. Do you know anyone that has an XBOX360 that you could temporarily borrow?

tworivers

Post by tworivers » Mon Jan 16, 2012 10:51 pm

hi
i have already tried the factory reset. no joy. don't know anyone with a xbox 360. i have tried my laptop hooked up as the extender and it works fine, so it looks like it is the extender that as the problem :( can you recomend a good replacement?

thanks

newfiend

Post by newfiend » Tue Jan 17, 2012 12:04 am

tworivers wrote:hi
i have already tried the factory reset. no joy. don't know anyone with a xbox 360. i have tried my laptop hooked up as the extender and it works fine, so it looks like it is the extender that as the problem :( can you recomend a good replacement?

thanks
Best extender at the moment.. Xbox Slim, still supported and updated. (pro avilable now, con: slightly noisy but not bad. Older xbox was much worse then the new slim.)
Alternate option is get a DMA-2100 or 2200 on ebay. Only problem with that is they are no longer supported, no future support or firmware updates will be made availalbe for these.
Best Extender Coming (hopefully soon) Ceton Echo. If you can wait this will be your "best" option IMO. It has HDMI with CEC built in and better hardware inside. (pro: no noise, con: not out yet)
It will depend on how soon you need one. Sorry to hear your Extender is going bad.
newfiend~

Mudmover

Post by Mudmover » Wed Jul 18, 2012 10:30 am

...I know this is an old-ish post, but has any solution been found?

I have exactly the same problem. I believe it's network related, as I had cured the problem previously after installing an Intel NIC card and tweaking the settings. I had to remove the card temporarily whilst installing a Sattelite card and on reinstalling it, the stuttering on Recorded programs came back.

Note, this occurs only on Recorded TV, all my ripped movies work fine, and the Recorded TV plays fine on the HTPC itself.

There were several threads on the (original) Green Button about stuttering Extenders, and I remember wading through those and finally solving my issues - but damned if I can find the information again - wish I'd written down my network property settings!!

Doh!!