How to get a smooth CableCard install?

Help with tuners from ATI, Hauppauge, AverMedia and more.
rdy2go

HTPC Specs: Show details

How to get a smooth CableCard install?

Post by rdy2go » Wed Jun 06, 2012 4:07 pm

I finally broke down and bought a HDHR Prime (on woot's sale). I have WOW coming out to do a cablecard install tomorrow. Any guidance on how to make this go smooth and not confuse the tech?

Scallica

Post by Scallica » Wed Jun 06, 2012 4:46 pm

Make sure your system has passed the Digital Cable Advisor. Disable the Windows Firewall. Although the HDHR Prime installs its own firewall rules, they don't always work properly.
HTPC Enthusiast / Forum Moderator - TGB.tv Code of Conduct

adam1991

Post by adam1991 » Wed Jun 06, 2012 6:30 pm

rdy2go wrote:I finally broke down and bought a HDHR Prime (on woot's sale). I have WOW coming out to do a cablecard install tomorrow. Any guidance on how to make this go smooth and not confuse the tech?
Start with unscrewing the top to your jar of unicorn dust.

Seriously, WOW seems to have competent techs and easy access to whatever level they need to make it all happen. They may have to go up past their local people to the NOC, but that's OK.

Actually, you don't have to have him come out. You can go to the local WOW office and just pick one up. It really is that easy with WOW.

SilverRubicon

Post by SilverRubicon » Wed Jun 06, 2012 8:11 pm

rdy2go wrote:Actually, you don't have to have him come out. You can go to the local WOW office and just pick one up. It really is that easy with WOW.
This is really the best option for a smooth install. By law, you're allowed to self install a cable card. You can always have the cable guy get the basics working, ask him to leave the CC and do it yourself. You won't feel rushed or that you're wasting his time.

Wolfshadw

Post by Wolfshadw » Wed Jun 06, 2012 8:23 pm

SilverRubicon wrote:
rdy2go wrote:Actually, you don't have to have him come out. You can go to the local WOW office and just pick one up. It really is that easy with WOW.
This is really the best option for a smooth install. By law, you're allowed to self install a cable card. You can always have the cable guy get the basics working, ask him to leave the CC and do it yourself. You won't feel rushed or that you're wasting his time.
Just for reference - fifth bullet down.
http://www.fcc.gov/guides/cablecard-know-your-rights

-Wolf sends

adam1991

Post by adam1991 » Wed Jun 06, 2012 9:58 pm

that all being said, if your self-install doesn't work *then* roll a truck--and have him bring a large handful of cableCARDs to try out.

Kustom Kid

Post by Kustom Kid » Thu Jun 07, 2012 12:50 am

adam1991 wrote:
rdy2go wrote:I finally broke down and bought a HDHR Prime (on woot's sale). I have WOW coming out to do a cablecard install tomorrow. Any guidance on how to make this go smooth and not confuse the tech?
Start with unscrewing the top to your jar of unicorn dust.

Seriously, WOW seems to have competent techs and easy access to whatever level they need to make it all happen. They may have to go up past their local people to the NOC, but that's OK.

Actually, you don't have to have him come out. You can go to the local WOW office and just pick one up. It really is that easy with WOW.

It was that easy for me as well with Comcast and a self install kit. 30 minutes and two phone calls and I was good to go. It's nice to know WOW is simple as well in case I want to switch.

adam1991

Post by adam1991 » Thu Jun 07, 2012 1:44 am

If you have WOW in your area, I *highly* recommend them.

When I built my 7MC last year and fired up the cableCARD, I originally asked only for the same channel lineup I had with analog. The nice lady offered me the extra digital tier for free as a promotion, and I kindly accepted. Fast forward to this year, and I remembered that promotion was about to expire. I called and said, "I think I have a promotional rate about to expire..." Without missing a beat the guy said, "Let me check...yep, let me redo that for you...OK, done. Is there anything else I can do for you?" It was that easy.

WOW rocks. Absolutely rocks. Everyone I've ever dealt with there over the past 10+ years has been friendly and knowledgeable. Shoot, when I went to get the cableCARD she didn't even make me sign a receipt. She just handed it over with a smile.

rdy2go

Post by rdy2go » Thu Jun 07, 2012 2:33 am

I asked the rep (from WOW) if I could do a self install. She said it wasn't possible. I was pretty sure I had read that I could do it myself, but I didn't feel like the argument.

I'll give the tech a shot at it. If it seems hopeless I'll have him leave the card and do it myself.

I'll have to call and see if I can get that "promo" price. I used to have a sweet package like that, it was supposed to cost around ~120 and I had it for 70. I was able to string them along for two years but it finally ended. Oddly enough that was what started my search for a DIY DVR/HTPC. First looked at Myth, then Sage and finally settled on 7MC because of the WAF.

Wolfshadw

Post by Wolfshadw » Thu Jun 07, 2012 4:07 pm

I had my share of fun getting my system up and running with Comcast. I called their customer support and they said no. I knew I had read that I could, so I found the above linked FCC site to verify and called Comcast back. Got a different CSR who stated I could do a self install. All I needed to do was go to the local office and pick up the card. :crazy:

Got to the office after a long day of work, waited in line for an hour, only to be told, "Sorry! Those are outsourced. We have to roll a truck" :evil:
After I calmed down and explained that I was TOLD I could pick one up, they waived the truck roll fee.

Of course, when the truck finally showed up, the tech had no idea how to install it. I had the tech wait while I did the install. Got to the point where he needed to contact Comcast, got the device paired with the card, and I told the tech he could leave.

This really isn't rocket science, so I'd be ready to take over for the tech when s/he starts scratching his/her 'noggin.

-Wolf sends

Jim_IT

Post by Jim_IT » Thu Jun 07, 2012 4:36 pm

Last year before the Self Install option was manditory, I wanted to hook up another OCUR device and needed another CC and tuning adapter and when I was ordering, I had Agent to put "Leave CC & tuning adapter with person opening the door." in the workorder comments.

Tech acted very confused by this when my wife opened the door and said I'll take those. Thank god, I can pair my own cards.

Jim

barnabas1969

Post by barnabas1969 » Thu Jun 07, 2012 6:18 pm

This thread really has me laughing. My install with Brighthouse back in March 2011 was a NIGHTMARE. Fast forward to my 2nd CableCARD tuner a couple of weeks ago... and I did a self-install. It wasn't perfect, but much smoother than last year. The only hiccup was that the first card they gave me wasn't properly removed from the prior owner's (renter's?) account, so I had to go back to the store to get a 2nd card. The 2nd one worked without a problem.

joevulture

Post by joevulture » Thu Jun 07, 2012 9:18 pm

barnabas1969 wrote:This thread really has me laughing. My install with Brighthouse back in March 2011 was a NIGHTMARE. Fast forward to my 2nd CableCARD tuner a couple of weeks ago... and I did a self-install. It wasn't perfect, but much smoother than last year. The only hiccup was that the first card they gave me wasn't properly removed from the prior owner's (renter's?) account, so I had to go back to the store to get a 2nd card. The 2nd one worked without a problem.
My CC install with Brighthouse in July 2010 was pretty bad also. The first person who came out didn't measure signal levels, only brought one CC and TA (I asked for two TAs specifically), but at least it basically worked. After enough complaining about the lack of a second TA, Brighthouse sent one of their techs out since I was the first in my area to have an InfiniTV 4, and while he was checking signal levels and pairing everything up, we talked about CableCard, DOCSIS, possible successors, etc.

When I needed to move my CableCard from my internal InfiniTV 4 to my USB one (which was earlier this year), it was a painless process, and I hope that it will be equally painless if I move to a HDHomeRun Prime (I'm having tons of issues with my InfiniTV 4 USB, and Ceton is making all sorts of valid suggestions, but I can't believe that it's dying because of these things that they found, but anyway...)

-- Joe

rdy2go

Post by rdy2go » Fri Jun 08, 2012 2:20 pm

My install was yesterday. The tech showed up and looked very concerned that I wasn't putting the card in a Tivo or TV. The card came up, connected, and got new firmware. Everything seemed to be going well but it wouldn't activate service. The tech called his buddy because he didn't know what to do. I could hear his friend starting to give him the "we don't support that kind of hardware" spiel. He hung up with his friend. Before he could start to tell me it was my fault, I politely asked if he would call the NOC and let me speak with them. He did so, it turned out he gave them the wrong ID. There is a cable card ID and host ID. They sent activation again and it came up no problem.

Morale of the story, even if they do roll a truck you will be doing a self-install anyway.

Wolfshadw

Post by Wolfshadw » Fri Jun 08, 2012 2:27 pm

It's sad that there are so few of us that are making use of our PCs in this way. This is the reason the cable techs have no idea what they're doing.

Anyway, glad you have it up and running! Enjoy!

-Wolf sends