Trouble setting up the Extender for Xbox 360

Troubleshoot and discuss the XBOX 360, XBOX One, Linksys, and other extenders.
arty

HTPC Specs: Show details

Trouble setting up the Extender for Xbox 360

Post by arty » Wed May 23, 2012 5:49 pm

Hello,

I’ve been having issues when trying to setup my Xbox 360 using the media extender feature on my Windows 7 (Home Premium 64bit) desktop.

Basically, here’s where I’m at… I got the 8 digit code from my Xbox and typed it in WMC, but I got an error message. I tried many possible solutions (disabling the Windows firewall, disabling my Anti-virus, making sure it’s not a network error, allowing media sharing for the Xbox on my computer) but none of these worked. I ended up checking in Event Viewer and I saw that the problem was that the Media Extender service could not start. I therefore, went in Services to attempt to start the Media Extender service, but got the following: Error 1068 The dependency service or group failed to start. So, I checked for ALL the dependencies and all of them are started except for one: TermService. However, when I try to start TermService, I get Error 5 Access denied. If it’s pertinent, I am using an administrator account and I even tried running Services with “Run as administrator”, but I still get the same thing.

At this point, I’m stuck and after 2 days of tries, I haven’t managed to figure this out, though I’m pretty confident I’ve isolated the problem (the extender doesn’t work because the Media center extender service can’t start because it’s dependent on TermService which I’m unable to start)… Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thank you in advance for your time and effort!

barnabas1969

Post by barnabas1969 » Wed May 23, 2012 5:55 pm

1) What firewall software are you using?
2) What anti-virus are you using?
3) Any anti-malware software installed?
4) Have you ever messed with any of the services in Windows... disabling some of them to try to save system resources?
5) What was the error message that displayed in Media Center when you typed in the 8-digit code?

arty

Post by arty » Wed May 23, 2012 6:24 pm

1) Windows Firewall
2) Avast (Free edition)
3) Malwarebytes Anti-malware
4) Never disabled any services. Any modifications consisted of enabling some or changing their startup type from Manual to Auto or Auto(delayed). Also, these modifications were never done at random, only when I knew what I was doing...
5) "Configuration Error - An error was encountered while configuring your computer for use with this Extender." That was all that was displayed in Media Center itself...

barnabas1969

Post by barnabas1969 » Wed May 23, 2012 7:02 pm

The error message you got when trying to start TermService is probably because you're running Home Premium. Home Premium doesn't support remote desktop (without a DLL hack). Extenders connect via RDP (remote desktop), and Home Premium supports them somehow, even though it doesn't support normal remote desktop connections... but I don't have Home Premium, so I can't compare mine to yours.

As crazy as it sounds, some people have had success by un-installing their anti-virus and anti-malware programs. Not just disabling them... actually uninstalling them. Most folks recommend using Windows Firewall and Microsoft Security Essentials instead of 3rd party anti-virus/malware software... because you'll have less problems with stuff like you're experiencing.

Try un-installing Avast and Malwarebytes, reboot, and try connecting the extender again.

arty

Post by arty » Wed May 23, 2012 7:09 pm

Ok, I'll try your suggestions probably tomorrow and let you know what happens. Thanks for your help!

arty

Post by arty » Thu May 24, 2012 7:13 am

So, I managed to get it to work!!!

It turns out I HAD played with TermService a few months ago trying (unsuccessfully) to get Remote Desktop to work with Home Premium... Luckily, I had a backup of the file and when I restored it, everything worked perfectly!

Thanks again for your advice :)