Network Issue - Only on HBO with Hauppauge DCR-2650 SOLVED!

Troubleshoot and discuss the XBOX 360, XBOX One, Linksys, and other extenders.
VikingCrown

HTPC Specs: Show details

Network Issue - Only on HBO with Hauppauge DCR-2650 SOLVED!

Post by VikingCrown » Mon Apr 23, 2012 2:27 pm

Hello, Currently I am using the 360 as my extender. My main PC has an HDHR, Hauppauge 2250 and a cable card Hauppauge DCR-2650.

I am getting the dreaded network issue notification, however it is only when I attempt to watch recorded shows from HBO. I have watched shows both recorded and live from the DCR-2650 on other channels with no issue. Has anyone experienced this with a specific channel?

Any help is appreciated.

~Brian
Last edited by VikingCrown on Tue May 22, 2012 8:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Beradon

Post by Beradon » Mon Apr 23, 2012 6:49 pm

I think i speak for most of us in saying that we need more information on your specific setup. HTPC specs and network layout including connection speeds and switch/router brands if possible.

VikingCrown

Post by VikingCrown » Tue Apr 24, 2012 11:12 am

Happy to provide a diagram and some PC specs. I will work them up shortly, in the mean time i was really wondering about any differences in the bandwidth requirements of HBO ( copy protected cable card recording) and say CBS (non copy protected cable card recording) that would cause the network issue message to occur on the xbox. I will post a diagram shortly!

Here is the Diagram
PC Specs Intel Q6600 4 GB Ram, Windows 7 Home Premium, tuners Silicondust HDHR (QAM), Hauppauge 2250 (QAM), Hauppauge DCR-2650 (cable card).
Attachments
Diagram.PNG
Home Network

Beradon

Post by Beradon » Tue Apr 24, 2012 3:26 pm

There have been a couple of threads recently relating to this similar issue ("Network Issue" on an XBox 360 for various reasons), my own included.

Some suggestions to try to clear it up have included things like making sure flow control is enabled on your HTPC, the reason for this is because while your HTPC likely has a gigabit connection, the XBox 360 is only 100mbit.

If you were able to eliminate the extra switch just to test it, I'd say give it a shot, but dont make it a permanent change until you're sure it is helping.

There's a number of other suggestions in this thread if you havent looked through it yet:
http://www.thegreenbutton.tv/forums/vie ... f=8&t=1195

VikingCrown

Post by VikingCrown » Tue Apr 24, 2012 3:57 pm

Beradon, I checked and Flow Control is on in the NIC on the PC. I did read that thread and the replacing of one of the switches was my thought process for eliminating Hops and lowering network latency. I will give that a try and see how it goes. Does anyone thing that by replacing my last switch before the 360 with a 10/100 switch would help? That way i don't have to try and make my entire network 10/100 on the NIC?

edit:
Ok, one more update. I had to run home anyway, so I changed my NIC to be 100 Full Duplex and no change on the HBO shows still getting Network Issue. Didn't have time to move any of the switches around though.

VikingCrown

Post by VikingCrown » Thu May 10, 2012 3:31 pm

Ok, here is the latest. I made sure my NIC had the most recent drivers. I replaced my 2 switches with the recommended ASUS ones from the other thread. I also minimized the hops across my network from my PC to the XBox. Unfortunately i still get a network issue, it doesn't matter if its a 30 min show or an hour show, about 3/4 of the way through the network issue pops up. I have confirmed there is nothing else recording or utilizing the drive at the time of the errors either.

I am quite frustrated at this and would really really appreciate any input on what else i can check.

I am attaching my current network setup just in case.
Home Network - New.PNG

VikingCrown

Post by VikingCrown » Tue May 22, 2012 8:01 pm

I wanted to let everyone know that i was finally able to resolve this issue. I was hopeful that changing to better switches and eliminating as many hops as possible and updating the driver of my Network Card to the latest would resolve the dreaded Network Issue, but in the end this post from the silicondust forum pointed me to the fix http://www.silicondust.com/forum/viewto ... 2102#72102

I changed the settings on my Network Card (onboard Realtec with most recent driver - 7.53.216.2012) to the following (bolded values are the ones I modified)

Auto Disable Gigabit - Disabled
Flow Control - Enabled
Green Ethernet - Disabled
Interrupt Moderation - Enabled
IPv4 Checksum Offload - Disabled
Jumbo Frames - Disabled
Large Send Offload (IPv4) - Disabled
Large Send Offload v2(IPv4) - Disabled
Large Send Offload v2(IPv6) - Disabled
Network Address - Not Present
Priority & VLAN - Enabled
Receive Buffers - 512
Receive Side Scaling - Disabled
Shutdown Wake-On-Lan - Enabled
Speed & Duplex - Auto Negotiation
TCP Checksum Offload (IPv4) - Disabled
TCP Checksum Offload (IPv6) - Disabled

Transmit Buffers - 128
UDP Checksum Offload (IPv4) - Disabled
UDP Checksum Offload (IPv6) - Disabled

Wake on Magic Packet - Enabled
Wake on Pattern Match - Enabled
WOL & Shutdown Link Speed - 10 Mbps First

I hope this helps someone else!

STC

Post by STC » Tue May 22, 2012 9:09 pm

^ This is good to know thanks for following up.
By the Community, for the Community. 100% Commercial Free.

Want decent guide data back? Check out EPG123