How to make episode name appear in recording

jppl2000

HTPC Specs: Show details

How to make episode name appear in recording

Post by jppl2000 » Tue May 22, 2012 3:21 am

Hello,

Been trying to find out if this is possible. I don't like having to go back and forth from menus to be editing the recorded file. How can I program MCE to finish the recording with the episode title displayed in the wtv recording. I get the name of the show but I also want the episode name. Isn't there anyway to get this working correctly?

Thanks,

JIM

choliscott

Post by choliscott » Tue May 22, 2012 6:49 am

KEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Media Center\Service\Recording

Add or edit the String Value – ‘filenaming’
•%Ch – Channel Number
•%Cn – Station Name
•%T – Title of show
•%Et – Episode Title
•%Dt – Date and Time

For example – %T_%Et

mark1234

Post by mark1234 » Tue May 22, 2012 9:36 am

That's brilliant, I never realised that was configurable. Thank you.
Windows Media Centre - Abandoned by Microsoft

bobbob

Post by bobbob » Tue May 22, 2012 10:28 am

not quite the same but i use this simple script to rename and move all the episodes of series that i want to archive. saved me literally days of work

barnabas1969

Post by barnabas1969 » Tue May 22, 2012 1:43 pm

I don't think the OP is asking about how to rename the file. The registry key that choliscott mentioned is cool, but it looks like it's designed to control the filename, not the metadata. I think the OP (jppl2000) is talking about the metadata that is in the file. If he's not getting the episode title, it may be a problem with his guide data. It would be helpful to know what show and channel (CBS, ABC, NBC, FOX, CNN, Discovery, etc) he is referring to, and what type of tuner (ATSC, ClearQAM, CableCARD, DVB-T, DVB-S, etc), what country he is in, etc.

jppl2000

Post by jppl2000 » Tue May 22, 2012 3:25 pm

Thanks for these responses for which I am very grateful. I am in the U.S.A.. I am using the new HDHomerun prime w/cablecard. I've been using BeyondTV with my tuners until we lost most of our channels except for QAM. Now I've discovered that not all shows broadcast over cable are copy protected. For example, Mad Men from AMC, I would like to have the episode title included with the recording the title name, eg Mad Men_Dark Shadow_....etc. I would like the episode and season number too but I am to believe that I must do that myself, which is acceptable. Other shows I record are: Person of Interest, Grimm, Once upon a time, David Rocco la dolce vita....among others which are in prime time as well as WETA cooking shows. All of this information shows up in the guide. I have set the registry as per instruction above and in a short while I should know what happens.
Again, I very much appreciate your interest and expertise and hope to solve this riddle. I will let you know what happens shortly. Let me know of any other ideas to solve this one. I knew this was THE forum...:)...to ask.

Thanks,

JIM

barnabas1969

Post by barnabas1969 » Tue May 22, 2012 4:12 pm

Jim,

Just to get this straight... you are recording shows like Person Of Interest using the HD HomeRun Prime. Correct?

And you don't get episode title? I record several of the shows you mention, and I get episode titles just fine. I didn't have to tweak anything. Here's a screen shot showing the most recent episode of Person of Interest. As you can see, the episode title is "Firewall". Do you not see this when you click (once) on your recording?
screenshot.jpg

jppl2000

Post by jppl2000 » Wed May 23, 2012 3:34 am

Hello Barnabas,

I can see the episode name on the same screen on my pc as on your screenshot. But until now I had not been able to see the episode name written with the series name in the recording. I am happy to say since I edited my registry that it is working perfectly. Thank you choliscott!!!
However, if there ever was an easier tweak, like something built into mce, I never found it.

I do not view my recordings thru mce. I only record them here. Once recorded, I run them thru mc-tvconverter2 to make them all *.*.ts files. Once in ts format I can cut out the commercial parts and finally convert them into mp4's which I then stream thru my AppleTV to my viewing tv. It is a little bit of work but to reduce the file size from gigs to a few megs and be able to store them and view them is what I want to do. Pretty much batch groups of them and I go off to mow the grass or whatever. Bad times with all the copy protected files which you can't even watch on any other pc in your home or edit the commercials and they end up being too large to retain.
Still, I'm interested in any further tweaks.

Thanks,
JIM

barnabas1969

Post by barnabas1969 » Wed May 23, 2012 3:50 am

Now I'm confused. From what you wrote, here's what I'm getting:

You're transcoding your WTV files to TS. You weren't getting the episode title in your TS files before, but now you are. You watch the shows with Apple TV.

My guess is that whatever transcoding software you are using cannot read the metadata in the file... so you need to have the episode title in the file name in order for your transcoding software to get the episode title.

First, as you said... copy-protected shows cannot be transcoded.

Second, why use Apple TV to view shows that are recorded in Media Center??? Why not just use Media Center Extenders??? Sure... it takes more disc space to leave the files in WTV format... but it works so slick in Media Center. Why fix what ain't broke?

jppl2000

Post by jppl2000 » Wed May 23, 2012 4:18 am

Almost understood. The WTV files never recorded with the episode name and series title in the file....until today. Transcoding is no problem. If I am on travel then returning to multiple files with the same series name but no episodes is enough to make you want to cease and desist all recordings...haha
This is great now!!!

I really like the smaller file size and without commercials and I can send it to my ipad for view while on vacay. This way just works for me. Perhaps I will move to use MC Extenders...been doing it this way for a few years and have collected a few files but none of which are either too large or too bulky. With good data storage devices nowadays I could turn to using extenders....I will never say never. Your system setup is rocking fantastic, alot of power there.
I do appreciate hearing from you and want you to know I am thankful to the group for a really quick fix. I am going to hang around and read what's going on and just enjoy and jump in whenever.

Thanks,
JIM

mmatheny

Post by mmatheny » Thu May 24, 2012 8:55 pm

Can you give us an example of a file name before and after you made the registry change?
Mike