unable to get W7MC to work after the cloning

DSperber

HTPC Specs: Show details

Post by DSperber » Fri Jul 05, 2024 10:15 am

Note that I DO have that required version 4.0.30319 installed on my Z170:

DSperber

Post by DSperber » Fri Jul 05, 2024 11:14 am

I have now looked at my just-built M910x Win7 system, which you recall was built with my Win7 installation USB created using "Integrate7 2020 Version 2" script, which integrates and includes ALL Windows updates for Win7 starting from way back from Win7 SP1 right up through January 2020. And apparently this DOES include whatever the KB-number update was (which I don't know what it is) the delivered DotNET 4.0.30319.

Here is the same DotNET version information on my new M910x Win7 (note that it looks identical to my Z170 machine, which has NextPVR installed):

Obviously this DotNET 4.0.31319 is inherently present in the Win7 that came out of using my Integrate7 2020 USB installer for Win7, since whatever KB update delivered it back in 2012 (which is when 4.0.3 was distributed through the normal Windows Updates back then for Win7) is part of the complete integrated list of updates that are part of the newly installed Win7 thanks to Integrate7.

I've tried to see if that 4.0.3 update is separately available right now, but of course it's not.

This old MS page describes the release of 4.0.3, and provides a supposedly valid URL link to get that KB update. However that URL link produces a 404, since MS no longer supports Win7.

Note that my research found a thread on Seven Forums that claimed DotNET version 4.5 (also distributed back in 2012) is highly compatible, and supposedly is usable in lieu of 4.0.3. I don't know if that's accurate of not, but presumably it at least should be installable in Win7. But I don't know this for sure. However that link I just provided for DotNET 4.5 is actually still valid, and works, if you want to try it yourself instead of 4.0.3.

Clearly your best bet if you want to build a fresh new Win7 that absolutely does have DotNET 4.0.30319 pre-installed and which therefore definitely should support NextPVR (as well as WMC OTA-only, immune from the absence of PlayReady from MS) is to use my 2020 Win7 Installer USB.

stevethebrain

Post by stevethebrain » Sun Jul 07, 2024 8:36 pm

net framwwork 4.7.2 wont install w win7.jpg
will not imstall allready installed.jpg
how long doe's Microsoft .NET Framework 4.5 take to install I've tryed a dozon times?

can't install next pvr w/out net feame work 4.7.2. seams like w7 wont surport 4.7.2
I'm assumming I must have 4.5 in orer to install 4.7.2
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

DSperber

Post by DSperber » Sun Jul 07, 2024 9:28 pm

Which of your two machines are you trying to get operational with NextPVR and whatever version of DotNET you're trying to use?

Is this a from-scratch brand new Win7 install? Or are you trying to coax a previously working Windows which became non-working, now back to life?

I cannot personally vouch for DotNET 4.5 (or newer) actually being installable on Win7. It's only from what I read. In fact 3.0.30319 is the version installed on my TWO Win7 "production" machines (Z170 and M910t), as well as the "laboratory" M910x machine I just installed Win7 on last week (to confirm that OTA-only WMC was possible). All three of these Win7 machines show 4.0.30319 as the installed version of DotNET.

Since all of your old OTA recordings are non-DRM, why don't you want to just start over and reinstall from scratch using my 2020 ISO/USB installer? It has DotNET 4.0.30319 built into it. Zero effort on your part. You'll simply have 4.0.30319 immediately and won't have to do anything more. And you'll be able to install OTA-only WMC, and/or NextPVR if you want that too.

As long as you have OTA tuners and their Win7 drivers (either Silicon Dust Flex-4K, or Hauppauge... and again, I have their 4-tuner Quad-HD card in both of my own Win7/WMC machines) you can use NextPVR. NextPVR and WMC support both built-in "local" PCIe OTA tuner cards (like Hauppauge), as well as network-based OTA tuner cards (like the Flex-4K).

As I've shown in my own screenshots above, I have NextPVR installed and operating properly on my Z170 (which shows 4.0.30319 as its installed DotNET version).

If your current machines are not working properly, and you don't really have any other choice, why don't you simply "start over" and install a brand new Win7 on your Dell machine? I really do believe it's time for you to declare that you're not going to get any of these newer versions of DotNET to work on Win7. It's clear to me that 4.0.30319 is the "most current" version suitable for Win7, and it is sufficient to install NextPVR, and also to run WMC.

And just in case you want to easily preserve "system image backups" of each of your current systems (such as they are!), just go with Macrium Reflect and an external USB 3.0 drive to hold the backup images. You'll continue to use Macrium Reflect and this external backup drive going forward for regular backups, which is a good thing.

Personally, I feel that both your Acer and Dell machines could use more physical RAM memory... assuming they still have unused DIMM sockets and are not maxed out. A minor fairly inexpensive investment, with a good performance improvement.

I repeat my offer to make myself available for phone support, and even for "remote connection support" via Team Viewer into your machines.

stevethebrain

Post by stevethebrain » Tue Jul 09, 2024 2:46 am

yes all my current efforts are w/ the old Acer 64bit OS using the orginal win7 HDD OS.

yes I do want to just start over and reinstall from scratch using your 2020 ISO/USB installer.

I tryed DotNET version 4.5 unsuccessfully then tryed 4.7.2 unsuccessfully.

I read a simiairl thread at next pvr so I assumed it was possible to use win7 w/next pvr. are these higher versions of Net framework built-into win10?
-----------------------------------------------------

thought I'd attempt a USB installer to use Kodie as a standalone unsuccessful
librreELEC for kodie.jpg
here's the latest error
api-ms-win-core-synch-1-2-0.dll
api-ms-win-core-synch-l1-2-0.dll).jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

DSperber

Post by DSperber » Wed Jul 10, 2024 12:37 am

PMs in your queue.

stevethebrain

Post by stevethebrain » Mon Jul 15, 2024 3:55 pm

Win7 stuck in legacy mode want to change to UEFI mode

fresh win7 install.
I’m attempting to boot from a USB win7 installer I created w/ RUFUS
RUFUS settings create USB boot drive.jpg
error:
Unable to boot from USB drive it can only boot in UEFI mode only an I’m stuck in legacy mode.

Only option I see (intergrated Peripherals) legacy USB support enabled or disabled
no option for change legacy mode.jpg
Changed to disabled now there’s no option to boot from USB.

BIOS I do see the option for USB order of boot device?
boot order.jpg
I can physically disconnect SATA ports for OS SSD an DVD.

stevethebrain

Post by stevethebrain » Mon Jul 15, 2024 7:26 pm

seams complicated booting in UEFI w/ the old Acer 2009. IIRC the newer DELL OPTIPLEX 7010 SFF PC i5-3570 3.4Ghz 8GB RAM PC DESKTOP COMPUTER has UEFI as a boot option. if it doe's can I select UEFI an boot directly from the USB drive an reinstall W7MC w/out the playready?

however the Dell is a 32bit OS or will it's hardware be sufficient for 64bit OS?
thanks