Win7 Xbox 360 extender driver

jjacksqr

HTPC Specs: Show details

Win7 Xbox 360 extender driver

Post by jjacksqr » Mon Jun 10, 2024 5:12 pm

Reinstalled win7. Tried to connect an Xbox 360 extender. Neither windows update nor legacy update offered a driver. How can I get it?

d00zah

Post by d00zah » Mon Jun 10, 2024 10:32 pm

jjacksqr wrote: Mon Jun 10, 2024 5:12 pm Reinstalled win7. Tried to connect an Xbox 360 extender. Neither windows update nor legacy update offered a driver. How can I get it?
I honestly can't vouch for this source, but these might work?

Code: Select all

https://archive.org/download/xbox-360-64-engwin-7

https://www.virustotal.com/gui/url/ee1789afc584fa8e805be7ffb7145dcea4f2e7c27e3821b961541d7195bbff9a/detection

DSperber

Post by DSperber » Tue Jun 11, 2024 5:25 pm

I am not familiar with any "driver", needed to be installed in Win7 that facilitates connecting to an XBox used as an "extender".

Certainly there is no such similar driver required for my own Win7 WMC systems in order to connect to my Linksys DMA2100 extenders around the house. They are simply out there on the network, and are detected as network devices by WMC's "extender setup probe" process. They simply respond when the "query" goes out and WMC then handshakes with them to make them part of the overall installed WMC environment.

I have a good friend who has multiple XBox devices used as his extenders on his multiple WMC setups, and he has no recollection of any "driver" required to support them.

Exactly what is the issue or message you're seeing, and where and under what triggering circumstances, that indicates such a "driver" is required?

jjacksqr

Post by jjacksqr » Tue Jun 11, 2024 7:51 pm

Thank you. The archive driver worked. This was a reinstall of win7. When I connected and turned on the Xbox 360, win7 indicated that windows update could not find a driver and left a yellow triangle showing not functional.

d00zah

Post by d00zah » Tue Jun 11, 2024 8:02 pm

jjacksqr wrote: Tue Jun 11, 2024 7:51 pm Thank you. The archive driver worked. This was a reinstall of win7. When I connected and turned on the Xbox 360, win7 indicated that windows update could not find a driver and left a yellow triangle showing not functional.
Glad they worked. I'm guessing that while Windows Update was still active for Win7, it was a silent search/installation? I do vaguely remember installing a driver for my Ceton Echo...

DSperber

Post by DSperber » Tue Jun 11, 2024 11:22 pm

jjacksqr wrote: Tue Jun 11, 2024 7:51 pm Thank you. The archive driver worked. This was a reinstall of win7. When I connected and turned on the Xbox 360, win7 indicated that windows update could not find a driver and left a yellow triangle showing not functional.
I'm still baffled.

If there is an "other devices" in Device Manager after your install, with one corresponding to this XBox and marked with a yellow exclamation mark, or Windows Update tried to find a driver up at the MS Windows Update site and couldn't so that there was a different kind of yellow triangle on that "installing" dialog which eventually failed, this suggests to me that the XBox is directly connected to the PC and is not ethernet connected on your LAN as extenders are.

If it were physically connected to the PC through some kind of cable so that Windows can see it as a device and wants to install the corresponding driver, that's one thing. If it is ethernet or wifi connected to your LAN then it is invisible to the Windows PC, and should never be triggering a need to install a driver. Connectivity of an extender to WMC is totally separate, and does not involve "drivers". So I'm really confused by your setup.

I don't want to drag this on unnecessarily, especially if you say that the "archive driver" which was made available to you actually did work to solve your missing driver problem. But for my own understanding about what this is all about, can you please tell me how your XBox is physically connected to your Win7 PC or network?