Porting Ceton tuner to new Win7 PC

Ask fellow members about Ceton's infiniTV tuners here.
Forum rules
Ceton no longer participate in this forum. Official support may still be handled via the Ceton Ticket system.
MRMILSTAR

HTPC Specs: Show details

Porting Ceton tuner to new Win7 PC

Post by MRMILSTAR » Sun Apr 21, 2024 7:54 pm

I have a working HTPC with the internal (PCI-E) 4-channel Ceton tuner and CableCard. This HTPC has been working very well for 16 years. I have only had to replace the HDD once. I am thinking ahead to the day when the MB fails. I have another Win7 machine with WMC installed. Can I just move the Ceton and CableCard to the new machine? I realize I will have to set up the guide again but will anything else have to be done such as contacting my local cable company to re-pair the CableCard or anything like that? In light of the FCC 2020 decision to allow CableCard support to be dropped, I am wary of having to rely on my local cable company (Mediacom) to provide any help in that area. The first time that I did it in 2008, it was a real nuisance. Even back then they didn't have much knowledge about how CableCards were to be set up.

garyan2

Post by garyan2 » Mon Apr 22, 2024 2:53 am

Keep that old machine up as long as you can. You probably won't be able to get the other machine be able to watch/record any DRM encrypted channels from your cable provider due to the PlayReady server no longer being up.
viewtopic.php?p=153455#p153310
- Gary
Keeping WMC alive beyond January 2020. https://garyan2.github.io

stuartm

Post by stuartm » Mon Apr 22, 2024 7:26 am

Cable cards are paired with tuners. So you probably would not need Cable Co. to do anything if you move both the tuner and card into a new machine. That said, as Gary said, if you need to get playready working on the new machine to view/record protected content you may well be out of luck on that front as evidenced by multiple threads on the forum describing the apparent demise of the playready update ability needed for that.

MRMILSTAR

Post by MRMILSTAR » Fri Apr 26, 2024 7:45 pm

That's unhappy news. My spare Win7 machine has WMC already installed. Am I correct in assuming that the PlayReady key isn't already installed? At what stage of the WMC setup does the PlayReady key need to be obtained?

DSperber

Post by DSperber » Wed May 01, 2024 11:28 am

If your second Win7 machine has an existing installed WMC with PlayReady already activated (i.e. as you would have if you'd ever previously had a Ceton+cablecard in it and were successfully handling cable TV), then there shouldn't be any issue just bringing the Ceton 4-tuner InfinitTV card with its already-paired inserted cablecard over from your first Win7 WMC machine. You won't have to contact the cable company to "re-pair" anything, as the already in-effect pairing of the Ceton tuner and inserted cablecard is already in-effect. It doesn't change if you move the whole shebang to the new PC. You'd just need to run the 1088 Ceton setup driver install, and go through the WMC TV Signal setup to get the new tuners recognized. So far, so good.

But if your second machine (into which you're contemplating someday moving your Ceton+cablecard into, if/when the first machine fails) has never before had any Ceton card + cablecard in it, such that it has never previously had a need to go through its own PlayReady MS handshake and enabling, you may actually not be able to use this second machine as a "backup for a future disaster". If you don't have a separate Ceton card in it right now or never have had previously, what tuner type do you have in it at the moment? Or did you never actually go through any true WMC setup? Have you ever actually used WMC on that machine, to live-view record/playback anything? Only OTA? That has no DRM aspect to it, so PlayReady would not have been needed and/or activated. Only if you were getting cable TV through Ceton+cablecard on that second PC would PlayReady have been part of the WMC setup. And as we know, it is now impossible to get PlayReady enabled on any new WMC machine.

The details you've provided are a bit sparse, but it sounds like the second machine's WMC has missed its opportunity to get PlayReady enabled. So although you certainly would have been able to just move the Ceton+cablecard from the first machine and have it just work without needing re-pairing (once you went through the TV Signal setup on the PC, in order to get the tuners recognized), I fear you're not ever going to actually be able to used it for WMC and cable TV through that second PC even with the transplanted Ceton+cablecard, because of the PlayReady obstacle.

MRMILSTAR

Post by MRMILSTAR » Wed May 01, 2024 9:55 pm

Unfortunately I have never installed the Ceton/CableCard in the backup machine. It sounds like I'm out of luck and I just better take good care of the working HTPC that I now have.