Need easy way to get guide data for added channels

An evolving, supported alternative to Rovi
Forum rules
★ Download the latest EPG123 here: https://garyan2.github.io/ <> Setup guide here: https://garyan2.github.io/install.html
tirebiter

HTPC Specs: Show details

Need easy way to get guide data for added channels

Post by tirebiter » Sun Mar 31, 2024 8:27 pm

Before I start, I want to declare that epg123 is one of the best software packages I know of.

Story so far. My hdhomerun Prime died and I got a replacement. The (OT) unexpected good news is the cablecard in the old Prime supported only two tuners, but in the new Prime it's supporting THREE! :crazy:

I have been bashing my head against rocks to get the program guide working. I have gone from 100% "No data available" to some (most) of my manually added (through the worst interface imaginable) still mocking me with that message.

I have tried everything that seems reasonable (and some that are unreasonable and downright scary) in epg123 Client and Configurator to get guide data for the added channels. Most or all the channels are listed in SchedulesDirect.

Any ideas for the best approach for epg123 and WMC to agree on the guide data for these channels?

TIA
Dan

garyan2

Post by garyan2 » Sun Mar 31, 2024 8:45 pm

Open the client and click the Match by: [# Number] button.
- Gary
Keeping WMC alive beyond January 2020. https://garyan2.github.io

garyan2

Post by garyan2 » Sun Mar 31, 2024 8:47 pm

Actually not clear on what you have successfully imported into WMC. Are you saying that the guide listings are mapped but have no data?
- Gary

tirebiter

Post by tirebiter » Mon Apr 01, 2024 12:18 am

garyan2 wrote: Sun Mar 31, 2024 8:47 pm Actually not clear on what you have successfully imported into WMC. Are you saying that the guide listings are mapped but have no data?
First, sorry for all the duplicate posts. I kept getting errors on the submit.

I have added a few dozen OTA channels inside WMC. They are valid because they appear in the guide and when I click on the channel I see that it is broadcasting. I get the info for adding them from hdhomerun's Setup app, based on it's scan of available channels.

A few of them get guide data, but not all.
I clicked on [# Number] and it unchecks the channels I want, even if they appear in the righthand pane. So I recheck them on the left.

What do I do next? I've tried the buttons on top "Client Setup" (never again) or "Rebuild WMC Database" but nothing happens.

I've tried "Save & Execute" in the Configurator. It seemed to make changes, but the manually added channels still say "No data available".

What am I doing wrong? What should I do after clicking on [# Number]?

Thanks

tirebiter

Post by tirebiter » Mon Apr 01, 2024 12:32 am

Well, looking again, the channels I want aren't in the "Lineups & Services" list.

So maybe SchedulesDirect doesn't have them? Can I send them a request to add them to the line up?

tirebiter

Post by tirebiter » Mon Apr 01, 2024 12:36 am

But I just viewed the SchedulesDirect lineup and they have many (not all) of the channels that are missing from the "Lineups & Services" list. What can I do?

garyan2

Post by garyan2 » Mon Apr 01, 2024 2:49 am

So you have both OTA and CableCARD. Are both the lineups enabled for download in the configuration GUI? Do both lineups show on the right side of the EPG123 Client? If so, you will have to click the Match by: [# Number] for each lineup on the right side. Do you have both the OTA and Cable channels on the left side of the client?
- Gary

tirebiter

Post by tirebiter » Mon Apr 01, 2024 1:34 pm

garyan2 wrote: Mon Apr 01, 2024 2:49 am So you have both OTA and CableCARD. Are both the lineups enabled for download in the configuration GUI? Do both lineups show on the right side of the EPG123 Client? If so, you will have to click the Match by: [# Number] for each lineup on the right side. Do you have both the OTA and Cable channels on the left side of the client?
OK, I had written a detailed description of the settings in config GUI when I finally noticed that the Local Listings lineup in the dropdown had the wrong zip code. It was set to another location that I use, which is about 70 miles away. I thought you were using the (correct) lineup I have set in SchedulesDirect. I (amazingly) figured out how to switch lineups in the Configurator, then Save & Execute. When I refreshed the Config app most of the missing channels were there. HDhomerun still lists some channels that SD doesn't. A lot of these channels appear twice because of my manual adds in WMC. It will be a pleasure to remove them.

So you were right (as always), clicking Match by: [# Number] was all I had to do, assuming I had the proper settings. Pure pilot error on my part, but I don't know why I would have ever entered the wrong zip code for Local Listings.

Thanks once again.

garyan2

Post by garyan2 » Mon Apr 01, 2024 6:00 pm

The lineups and channels you configure on the SD website is for their xml SD-DD server. EPG123 uses their json SD-JSON server which is different. All configuration for the SD-JSON server is handled by client software like EPG123.

Sent from my SM-G781U1 using Tapatalk

- Gary

IT Troll

Post by IT Troll » Mon Apr 01, 2024 10:31 pm

tirebiter wrote: Mon Apr 01, 2024 12:18 am First, sorry for all the duplicate posts. I kept getting errors on the submit.
The server can often appear to timeout, but the posts do still come through.
I’ve reported them for moderation to hopefully get them cleaned up.
Are you a Recorded TV HD user or want to give it a try? Check out the new community-made update; Recorded TV HD v2.1.1

tirebiter

Post by tirebiter » Mon Apr 08, 2024 2:15 pm

garyan2 wrote: Mon Apr 01, 2024 6:00 pm The lineups and channels you configure on the SD website is for their xml SD-DD server. EPG123 uses their json SD-JSON server which is different. All configuration for the SD-JSON server is handled by client software like EPG123.

Sent from my SM-G781U1 using Tapatalk
It's pretty close now, especially with my manually entered channels. Only a couple don't have guide data, and I really don't need it for them.

I still don't know how I could have setup epg123 with the wrong zip code.

Thanks!

tirebiter

Post by tirebiter » Mon Apr 08, 2024 2:19 pm

IT Troll wrote: Mon Apr 01, 2024 10:31 pm
tirebiter wrote: Mon Apr 01, 2024 12:18 am First, sorry for all the duplicate posts. I kept getting errors on the submit.
The server can often appear to timeout, but the posts do still come through.
I’ve reported them for moderation to hopefully get them cleaned up.
I apologize again for the mess. The error wasn't a timeout, it was a MySQL error, indicating that the server was down. So I figured the posts weren't going through, especially since it told me to try again later. Thanks for cleaning it up.