WMC 8.9.1 Installation MSI Released

Discussion of getting WMC to work on Windows 10 (unsupported)
JavaGeek

HTPC Specs: Show details

Post by JavaGeek » Mon May 29, 2023 12:11 am

O.K. No joy on getting the digital cable card working. Here are the steps I took.

1. Install fresh Windows 10 1511
2. Disabled Windows Update (I had the network cable unplugged at this point)
3. Installed video drivers - Reboot
4. Hooked network cable back up to get internet access
5. Installed Ceton InfiniTV drivers (for the cable card) - Reboot
6. Installed WinTV Quad HD drivers (for the OTA) - Reboot
7. Installed PlayReady - Reboot
8. Installed WMC - Reboot
9. Installed Digital Cable Advisor - Reboot
10. Turned WMC constant internet connection to No
11. Ran digital cable advisor from extras menu - Reboot (for good measure).
12. Setup TV signals (detected both cards O.K.)
13. Had to use the slmgr from admin command prompt to get cable card activated (but that did seem to work OK)
14. PlayReady updated O.K. from the wizard (I was worried about this step because it had been failing for me so many times before)
15. Installed and configured epg123 - Reboot (for good measure)
16. Tried to tune to a cable channel - No Joy :<

Now I am getting "Service unavailable...no signal" on all cable channels (the OTA tuner is of course working). The cable card diagnostics show the tuner is locking on to channels and I have a good signal....it just refuses to display live TV from the cable card. So frustrated....hoping it's not time to pull the plug and cut the chord. Anybody have any suggestions?

cvanwormer

Post by cvanwormer » Mon May 29, 2023 12:33 am

This post is a response to #40Post by Space » Sun May 28, 2023 4:15 pm

The change happened with the 8.9.1 update. The M: drive is not full. It is a 2T internal SATA drive with 200G free. We have made no changes to the system after the update (which went fast and smoothly - except for some PlayReady problems). If I click on the remove-locations button, the only choice is to remove M:\recorded tv, so we didn't remove anything.

oneonefive

Post by oneonefive » Mon May 29, 2023 1:49 pm

I am a WMC user from win XP days. I still remember how I was able to watch a 3.5 hour long football game in 60 mins thanks to MCE's super responsive skip 30 sec feature. I maintain the a WMC pc just for this purpose even today. All your effort to keep WMC going is much appreciated.

I installed win 10 and the msi to get TV feature working this weekend. Thanks again. A minor issue I am facing is that Videos is not working. It opens up small dialog to add to library at the bottom right and then WMC crashes. Included the detail below. It is a latest win 10 with all the updates, tried adding the folders to video library via windows explorer, running as admin, etc. It would be nice to have video library working because my kids who grew up on WMC still prefers that interface over others. I appreciate any help you can offer.

Application: ehshell.exe
Framework Version: v4.0.30319
Description: The process was terminated due to an unhandled exception.
Exception Info: System.NullReferenceException
at MediaCenter.Shared.FolderBrowserHomeFolder.GetItemsSync(System.String, ServiceBus.UIFramework.PerceivedType, ServiceBus.UIFramework.GetItemsFlags, ServiceBus.UIFramework.GetFolderItemsSyncAbort)
at ServiceBus.UIFramework.FolderGetItemsTask.Run()
at ServiceBus.UIFramework.EhTask.RunTask()
at ServiceBus.UIFramework.EhTaskScheduler.SchedulingThreadTaskLoop()
at ServiceBus.UIFramework.EhTaskScheduler.SchedulingThread()
at System.Threading.ExecutionContext.RunInternal(System.Threading.ExecutionContext, System.Threading.ContextCallback, System.Object, Boolean)
at System.Threading.ExecutionContext.Run(System.Threading.ExecutionContext, System.Threading.ContextCallback, System.Object, Boolean)
at System.Threading.ExecutionContext.Run(System.Threading.ExecutionContext, System.Threading.ContextCallback, System.Object)
at System.Threading.ThreadHelper.ThreadStart()

cvanwormer

Post by cvanwormer » Mon May 29, 2023 2:44 pm

cvanwormer wrote: Mon May 29, 2023 12:33 am This post is a response to #40Post by Space » Sun May 28, 2023 4:15 pm

The change happened with the 8.9.1 update. The M: drive is not full. It is a 2T internal SATA drive with 200G free. We have made no changes to the system after the update (which went fast and smoothly - except for some PlayReady problems). If I click on the remove-locations button, the only choice is to remove M:\recorded tv, so we didn't remove anything.
Warning: ID ten T User Error (write it down using 10 for ten) - I was changing the Media Library instead of the Recorder Storage location. I guess the update process didn't preserve the earlier settings for the preferred recorder storage. Sorry for the confusion, but the next version of the MSI should probably preserve this setting (or all settings).
Thanks,
Carl

oneonefive

Post by oneonefive » Fri Jun 02, 2023 5:16 pm

Problem was that I did not install Windows Media Player. Once I installed it, problem went away.
oneonefive wrote: Mon May 29, 2023 1:49 pm

I installed win 10 and the msi to get TV feature working this weekend. Thanks again. A minor issue I am facing is that Videos is not working. It opens up small dialog to add to library at the bottom right and then WMC crashes. Included the detail below. It is a latest win 10 with all the updates, tried adding the folders to video library via windows explorer, running as admin, etc. It would be nice to have video library working because my kids who grew up on WMC still prefers that interface over others. I appreciate any help you can offer.

Application: ehshell.exe
Framework Version: v4.0.30319
Description: The process was terminated due to an unhandled exception.
Exception Info: System.NullReferenceException

jerky33

Post by jerky33 » Mon Jun 05, 2023 10:52 pm

Is it expected behavior that this version of WMC (8.9.1) running on Win10 22H2 not detect my HDHR Prime tuners even after installing the HDHR application?
I'm able to tune in my channels (none are copy protected) using the HDHR app, but WMC does not let me run TV setup because it says that no tuners are detected.

Regards
(I may just stick with Win 7 MC if this doesn't work with HDHR Prime) ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Last edited by jerky33 on Mon Jun 05, 2023 11:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

d00zah

Post by d00zah » Mon Jun 05, 2023 10:57 pm

jerky33 wrote: Mon Jun 05, 2023 10:52 pm Is it expected behavior that this version of WMC (8.9.1) running on Win10 22H2 not detect my HDHR Prime tuners even after installing the HDHR application?
I'm able to tune in my channels (none are copy protected) using the HDHR app, but WMC does not let me run setup because it says that no tuners are detected.

Regards
viewtopic.php?f=97&t=14166&sid=56f27dc6 ... 20#p150787
lila.godel wrote: Sat May 13, 2023 4:30 am Cable Card Tuners do not work on Windows 11 or Windows 10 builds later than 1511.

jerky33

Post by jerky33 » Mon Jun 05, 2023 11:07 pm

I see, after reading this it sound like just copy protected channels wouldn't work, but if the CableCARD tuners do not work at all then I guess I'll just stick with Win7.
Attachments
CableCard-Notice.png

NOYB

Post by NOYB » Fri Jul 21, 2023 10:55 pm

Getting ready to install on Windows 11 and have a couple easy questions.

1. Does install need to be done from an administrator privileged account?
My main account is an ordinary user. I only use admin privileged account for machine maintenace and installs if required.

2. OEM WMC on Windows 8.1 uses C:\ProgramData/eHome folder. I see in a note on the download page the mention of C:/Windows/eHome.
Is the C:\ProgramData\eHome folder no longer used and replaced with C:\Windows\eHome? Reason this matters to me is because I mlink the eHome folder to M:\...\eHome.

Thanks

garyan2

Post by garyan2 » Sat Jul 22, 2023 12:03 am

1. More than likely need to install on the privileged account. After that you will be fine to use the ordinary account.

2. The ProgramData\eHome folder is still the same, no change there. My installer installs all the WMC binaries in c:\program files\windows media center\ehome and uses mlink to c:\windows\ehome. This avoids WMC being removed with major windows updates.
- Gary
Keeping WMC alive beyond January 2020. https://garyan2.github.io

NOYB

Post by NOYB » Sat Jul 22, 2023 2:33 am

Thanks.
Installed from regular user account and provided admin creds at UAC prompt.

Things of note during installation (Windows 11):

"Windows protected your PC"
Microsoft Defender SmartScreen prevented an unrecognized app from starting. .... Run anyway.

"Windows Media Center"
The Microsoft DVD Player is not installed. Please download and install ...

PlayReady install fail
Suspect that is due to being on Windows 11 and doesn't affect OTA. Please correct me if not.

Up and running though.

NOYB

Post by NOYB » Mon Jul 24, 2023 3:05 am

The language icon in EPG123 Configurator v1.8.0.14 on Windows 11 is kind of wonky/ugly.
Snap1.jpg
Snap1.jpg (3.82 KiB) Viewed 1226 times
Same for both EPG123 v1.7.3.0 and v1.8.0.14.
Windows 11 is the commonality.
Windows 8.1 is fine.

garyan2

Post by garyan2 » Tue Jul 25, 2023 12:14 am

Yah, I noticed that in Win11 but has not been important enough to determine why and/or fix. Doesn't affect anything.
- Gary

The Mac

Post by The Mac » Wed Feb 28, 2024 1:00 am

sorry to necro this thread.

I see a lot of people trying to get this working on win10 1511, but has anyone tired to install this on 7/8/8.1 and see if cable cards work?

Licensing for the media center pack on 7/8/8.1 is a nightmare and this package is nice and easy to install for when installs blow up.

garyan2

Post by garyan2 » Wed Feb 28, 2024 2:12 am

Won't work on Win7. Might work on Win8 but have never gotten verification. I believe WMC 8.10.0 (viewtopic.php?p=152995#p152995) should work. It isn't a nice msi, and doesn't have any of my resource file edits, but if it works, it's better than nothing.
- Gary

The Mac

Post by The Mac » Thu Feb 29, 2024 4:44 pm

I guess ill be the Guineapig as soon as i can get to it.

I do not wish to go through the 8.1 media pack debacle again if i can avoid it.

jdtayloruk

Post by jdtayloruk » Fri Mar 08, 2024 12:07 pm

Hi,

I might have done something which has created a epg with the green and purple program category. I had basically turned off the internet before doing the set up. At the end, I left i think I might have started getting over the air epg. I then turned the internet and started getting an almost full rpg without epg123.

The other odd thing, I managed to get perfect recordings in .ts file format. These play fine in windows media player but not in Media Centre which has recorded them. It tries and display it in occasion idle. Any idea whether the decoder was changed the default one. Any thoughts.

I think this might be general, as I’m running it on windows 10 home. It seems to record virtually perfect HD. It’s taken a couple a couple of days to try and solve the video inside media centre.

If I’m not as clear as I could be. It’s a couple of odd things recently.