channel protection issue

eclas

HTPC Specs: Show details

channel protection issue

Post by eclas » Sun Oct 29, 2023 7:43 pm

Don't know if anyone is srill paying attention here but I have a weird problem. Since last week when I go to a certain channel (and it only happens on this one channel) It won't play live tv and tells me 'The broadcaster prohibits this content from being copied'.
I'm not trying to watch a recording just live tv.
I do get the channel on my other 2 systems so it's definitely a problem with this particular computer.
Any ideas?

Space

Post by Space » Sun Oct 29, 2023 10:31 pm

I assume the channel you are trying to tune is protected by DRM (copy-once). This error indicates a problem with the paring on your CableCard device, or a problem with the PlayReady DRM software.

The channels that are protected by DRM vary by provider. Some only protect premium channels, others protect all of them, many have something in between. For instance, on my system (FiOS) only HBO/Cinemax premium channels are protected (the other premiums are not) and also ALL Fox owned cable networks are protected.

If the channel you are not having problems with was working on this system prior to having this issue, then it could be caused by the CableCard becoming unvalidated (either because it is going/gone bad, or a provider issue) or some corruption with you PlayReady software (although if some DRM channels are working and others are not, then it may be a different problem).

If your CableCard device is "authenticated" then it allows you to unencrypt and view/record all non-DRM protected channels, if it is also "validated" then it can also allow you to view/record DRM protected programming. If your device is neither "authenticated" or "validated" then I think the only thing you can view are unencrypted ("ClearQAM") channels.

So I would first verify that you CableCard device is both "authenticated" and "validated" and if not, to fix that issue. If you are aware of all the channels that are DRM protected on your cable system, then you can check them all (or at least the ones you subscribe to) to see if they are all affected, as if the problem is about validation, then no DRM protected channel should work.

If the CableCard device is fine, then it may be a problem with PlayReady. There are various things that can be done to try to fix it, such as restoring from a restore point that was from before the time it stopped working. The ultimate PlayReady "fix" is to "reset" the PlayReady DRM on your system, but that is a last resort if you have any existing DRM protected recordings, as all those old recordings will become unwatchable after the reset.

eclas

Post by eclas » Sun Oct 29, 2023 11:18 pm

Thanks for the ideas. Like I said tho there is only ONE channel that it is happening on so wouldn't that tell me that drm and playready are ok since all the other channels are working ok?
I forgot to try a restore point. I'll give that try.
Update: I tried the system restore with no luck.
I guess I'll live with it since it's only 1 channel and where that tv is located I don't watch that channel much anyway.