Video Jitter

A place to talk about GPUs/Motherboards/CPUs/Cases/Remotes, etc.
Moto

HTPC Specs: Show details

Video Jitter

Post by Moto » Wed Aug 16, 2023 9:46 pm

I have a library of about 1200 movies that are almost all DVDs. Looking at the box label they seem to have a variety of "frame rates" that are used. Some play smoothly and others show a great deal of video jitter. I have frustrated myself trying various combinations of video card settings and I have tried both WMC and VLC. There are two particularly stubborn movies: National Treasure (#1), and War of the Worlds (superbit version). [Whereas a typical DVD is about 3.5 GB the War disk is about 6.11 GB.]

Rather that stumbling around looing for solutions I would like to get analytical on this problem. Is there a software tool that can help me diagnose what the playback problem is? Hard drive, network, video card setting, ...

A perhaps related question - is the frame rate on a DVD file coded and readable and is there a video card that can adjust itself to use that frame rate?

prsa01

Post by prsa01 » Thu Aug 17, 2023 10:52 am

A good starting point would be to give us a description of your hardware setup. Provide as much detail as you can.
Have you tried the most problematic movie on other systems?
Are you reading directly from the dvd or transferred it to disk?
Have you tried converting the dvd to mp4 or other?

I'm sure more knowledgeable people will have other questions and ideas for you.

kid.lazer

Post by kid.lazer » Mon Sep 18, 2023 7:08 pm

You are probably experiencing a poor combination of the video's frame rate and your display's refresh rate. You either need your refresh rate to be evenly divisible by the movie's frame rate (ie: 24fps/144hz) or if you have the proper equipment, enable VRR (variable refresh rate) so your display can match the video output.

You also would want to look into your TV's settings. Some TVs are much better than others at handling jitter/judder in these situations, and the exact settings can make an impact as well. (check Rtings.com for info)