FIOS Boston Area / Tuner Options... Simulcrypt

Help with tuners from ATI, Hauppauge, AverMedia and more.
Tegeril

HTPC Specs: Show details

FIOS Boston Area / Tuner Options... Simulcrypt

Post by Tegeril » Fri Mar 23, 2012 6:23 pm

Did something stupid today, and had FIOS installed without reading up on TGB beforehand. Had two ATI DCTs in a computer and it was working fine with Comcast, but it wont tune encrypted channels to save its life which as far as I can tell means Simulcrypt is being used in this area (multiple attempts to setup properly with Verizon tech support with a guy on site, cards are definitely in their system properly, just not working).

Other relevant detail is that the case/system in question is a Russound machine that has a custom layout along the back that isn't designed for any end user maintenance / modification (basically there are not default open slots for expansion cards, the case was made to fit the devices they shipped) so I'm stuck with a USB solution until I decide to update this system.

My understanding is that this leaves me with the WinTV DCR-2650, either HDHR device (3 or 6 tuner), and the InfiniTV 4 USB. Do all of these support Simulcrypt? I'm looking to honestly make the purchase this instant because FIOS billing starts as of today and I've canceled Comcast. I've read my fair share of positive and negative reviews about all of these devices and would ideally love to hear someone say "I'm in that market and I use x and it works with FIOS" and maybe even more ideally "when my ATI tuners stopped."

Any help would be appreciated, thanks guys.

cnewsgrp

Post by cnewsgrp » Fri Mar 23, 2012 6:36 pm

I am using HDHR Prime with FIOS Cable card. It works great. I have a Dell INS-530 WMC HTPC and 2 xBox 360 extenders on a wired network.

Alspo would like to add that I configured cable card myself using fios online cable card activation and it went without issues, Did not need to call anyone
http://www22.verizon.com/ResidentialHel ... 130033.htm

Follow HDHR instructions to activate as well.

richard1980

Post by richard1980 » Fri Mar 23, 2012 8:41 pm

All of the current retail CableCARD tuners support Simulcrypt. The DCTs don't support it because their firmware was never updated to support it.

Tegeril

Post by Tegeril » Fri Mar 23, 2012 10:10 pm

Perfect, thanks! Wasn't sure if any had not yet been firmware updated to deal with it. Now to sell some ATI DCTs...

erkotz

Post by erkotz » Sun Mar 25, 2012 6:01 pm

The Ceton InfiniTV also fully supports Simulcrypt
Quality Assurance Manager, Ceton Corporation