EPG Icon still shows after Uninstalling EPG

An evolving, supported alternative to Rovi
Forum rules
★ Download the latest EPG123 here: https://garyan2.github.io/ <> Setup guide here: https://garyan2.github.io/install.html
McGary

HTPC Specs: Show details

EPG Icon still shows after Uninstalling EPG

Post by McGary » Mon Nov 28, 2022 10:27 am

EPG is an amazing tool that I've used for several years, and Gary's support is always outstanding.

Unfortunately I no longer need it, as we've finally decided to cut the cord and become streamers.

I've left our Windows 7 HTPC intact, however, as we have a LOT of programs we recorded that we still want access to (over 2000 movies, for example, and a bunch of old series I have complete collections of).

Since we no longer have a TV service provider, I decided to simply uninstall EPG and not renew Schedules Direct. There's an interesting anomaly, however.

The EPG Icon still shows on the main page !! It doesn't, of course, update anymore (it's been uninstalled), but it's strange that the icon is still active.

Anyone know why? ... and is there a trick to getting rid of it? (Doesn't matter, of course -- I'm just surprised it's still there)
EPG Icon AFTER Uninstall.jpg

IT Troll

Post by IT Troll » Mon Nov 28, 2022 4:44 pm

The icon is set through a registry setting. This setting is intended for adding an OEM logo to the home screen Sounds like this has got left behind during the uninstall. I think it is located at:

\\HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Media Center\Start Menu\OEMLogoUri

If you set the value to nothing, or delete the icon file it references, that should make it disappear.
Are you a Recorded TV HD user or want to give it a try? Check out the new community-made update; Recorded TV HD v2.1.1

McGary

Post by McGary » Mon Nov 28, 2022 4:58 pm

I had actually already found this -- there was a Program Data folder for EPG, so I deleted it and that did away with the icon.
But I appreciate the Registry reference -- that was indeed correct, so I deleted the entry just to keep things nice and clean :-)