Live TV setup fails

o2cats

HTPC Specs: Show details

Live TV setup fails

Post by o2cats » Fri Sep 02, 2022 5:32 pm

I have been using Windows 7 WMC for years. I currently have a PC directly attached to each of my 4 TVs. Three of the machines are only EPG123 clients. I have stuck with Windows 7, since I have not been able to get Windows 10 machines to reliably see each other on the network. I know it is just a matter of time when I have to make the transition, since some of these machines are ancient, but I want to hold on if possible.

One of the client machines had stopped updating the guide automatically back in January, but doing a manual update when needed was not a problem. I few days ago, the manual update had an error, with only a few hours of new guide data. I only hope to get to that point, and if so may ask for your help there too.

I figure the best approach would be to run client setup. I downloaded the latest version, and started the setup process. It completed the 1st step, and moved to the WMC setup. Made it through selecting region, zip, did not agree to guide setup, scanned for tuners, found my 6 tuners, selected the 2 I wanted (also tried it with all 6, in case that was the problem), It displays the correct Digital Antenna (ATSC) (2tuners), select next to confirm, but received the following massage several times:

"TV Setup Cannot Continue
TV setup has encountered a serious problem, Select finish to exit, and then try again. If the problem persists, restart Windows Media Center, or the computer”

Even though the setup failed, the EPG123 setup tries to continue.

I searched here; found others with the error, but noting I tried so far was helped.

I ran a disk check, and sfs/scannow, restore to a restore point where at least live TV, Record, and manual guide updates worked, but WMC was still at the live TV setup point, and setup always fails.

Would removing WMC from features be the recommended next step, or there something I should try first? I would appreciate any suggestions/directions along the way.

Thanks

o2cats

HTPC Specs: Show details

Post by o2cats » Fri Sep 02, 2022 10:00 pm

I removed WMC through the features menu, and restarted. I did not do anything with the eHome directory.

I downloaded the latest HDHomerun, and EPG123 setup programs, since I was in an earlier restored state.

I installed, and ran the HDHomerun setup, and if found all 6 tuners. I installed the EPG123 program, and started the client setup. I was able to get by previous error, and it scanned for channels. When it finished, I closed WMC, and the client setup continued to import the listings from my server.

I am happy where I am now, but will see if the scheduled guide import starts again tomorrow. If not, I may follow up in this thread, but as long as the manual import works.

Thanks to all