EPG123 Satellite setup issues

An evolving, supported alternative to Rovi
Forum rules
★ Download the latest EPG123 here: https://garyan2.github.io/ <> Setup guide here: https://garyan2.github.io/install.html
technodevotee

HTPC Specs: Show details

EPG123 Satellite setup issues

Post by technodevotee » Sun Apr 10, 2022 6:21 pm

As I said, the combination of the MSI installer and the EPG123 Satellite Setup feature is a vast improvement over what we had before and saves me literally hours of work so these are really minor problems that probably wouldn’t affect the average user.

I have a setup which is a bit different to how most people have their system configured. It is a multi satellite dish with three LNBs as follows: Hotbird 13e, Astra I 19.2e and Astra II 28.2.e.

It takes quite a bit more setting up compared to the average system and once I’ve scanned all satellites, I get over three thousand services in the guide.

There are a few things the client does by default that cause me a bit of trouble.

Firstly, because channel numbers below 1000 are reserved, when the Guide is populated. there is a lot of extra typing required when inputting channel numbers. I can get round this by manually deleting all the channels EPG123 puts in and rescanning but it is a bit of a nuisance.

Secondly, because I have multiple satellites, it isn’t really feasible to use automatch so when loading the guide data from Schedules Direct for the first time, EPG123 disables all the channels with no guide data (I.E, all of them) and I have to go through and re enable all the ones I want.

Thirdly, because there is no guide data available for Hotbird from Schedules Direct and quite a lot of channels missing from the Astra I and II ones, I need to use the Inband Guide Loader to get as many channels as possible populated but as far as EPG123 is concerned, there’s no guide data on those channels and I’ve had them disappear from the guide on occasion.

StinkyImp

Post by StinkyImp » Tue Apr 12, 2022 4:01 am

technodevotee wrote: Sun Apr 10, 2022 6:21 pmIt takes quite a bit more setting up compared to the average system and once I’ve scanned all satellites, I get over three thousand services in the guide.
This reminds me of the "humble brag" by Major Brian Shul of SR-71 fame. :D :thumbup:

technodevotee

Post by technodevotee » Sat Apr 16, 2022 10:23 am

Actually, the number of channels is part of the problem so it's nothing to brag about.

It makes life difficult when you can't use automatch and there's so many channels that don't have any data available from Schedules Direct.

I could request them to add them but it is too much work.

StinkyImp

Post by StinkyImp » Sat Apr 16, 2022 3:02 pm

Maybe... but to us Cessna pilots it's massively impressive.

I didn't reply to your post until after I put my eyeballs back in their sockets and picked my jaw up from the floor. :lol: