TV Tuner Not Found using Hauppauge HVR-2250

Guitar1969

HTPC Specs: Show details

TV Tuner Not Found using Hauppauge HVR-2250

Post by Guitar1969 » Sat Feb 08, 2014 12:27 am

I previously ran WMC in Win 7 64-bit with a Hauppauge HVR-2250 Tuner card and had it pretty well customized, but upgraded to Win8 Pro (now 8.1) in 2013 and obtained the Windows Media center pack. Since that time, I have not been able to get WMC to see my Tuner card - In setup it keeps saying "tuner card not detected" even though it is properly installed and works fine in other programs. I obtain Live TV through the WinTV7 app, as well as NPVR/XBMC, so the drivers are there and working, but WMC does not see it.

I have tried:

Uninstall and reinstall Tuner card drivers (numerous times)

Unistall WMC and then reinstall WMC (Turn Windows features on and off)

Install Tuner Card driver in Win7 compatibility mode.

Just not sure at this point what else to try to get WMC to see my Tuner card.

I am looking for any other things I can try.

FlatStanley

Post by FlatStanley » Mon Feb 10, 2014 1:29 am

Have you tried the following?
1. Uninstall the Tuner Driver
2. Delete the tuner from the Device Manager under "sounds, video and game controllers"
3. "SHUTDOWN" the PC then unplug the power.
4. Reseat the tuner card in the PCI Express slot (maybe even try a different slot).
4. Plug in the power, then Power on the PC (Win7 should find the tuners, if it hasn't already, it can be pretty quick when it wants to)
5. Reinstall the tuner driver

If that don't work you could try resetting the bios, after step 3.
If that don't work you could try "clearing" the bios (check your PC motherboard instructions if you need to go this far).
If that don't work, I'd try the tuner card in a different machine just to make sure its ok.

good luck to you Guitar1969.

4Crawler

Post by 4Crawler » Sat Feb 22, 2014 11:42 pm

I've been running the HVR-2250 card on WMC 8 and now 8.1 with no issues. I did have a problem when I moved the card from an older PC to a newer one, that new PC would not detect the card due to a PCI express bus issue. Got an up-revved card from Hauppauge and it now works fine. I did nothing special on the install, just ran the setup.exe and let it find the card and install software/drivers.

You mentioned you able to run WinTV with card outside of WMC, so at least your card is being detected. You might try the Hauppauge "hwclear" utility to force a full uninstall and then try re-installing. Also, look into the WMC log files and see if there are any errors or warnings displayed.

Green Lantern

Post by Green Lantern » Wed Jan 12, 2022 5:55 pm

4Crawler wrote: Sat Feb 22, 2014 11:42 pm I've been running the HVR-2250 card on WMC 8 and now 8.1 with no issues. I did have a problem when I moved the card from an older PC to a newer one, that new PC would not detect the card due to a PCI express bus issue. Got an up-revved card from Hauppauge and it now works fine. I did nothing special on the install, just ran the setup.exe and let it find the card and install software/drivers.

You mentioned you able to run WinTV with card outside of WMC, so at least your card is being detected. You might try the Hauppauge "hwclear" utility to force a full uninstall and then try re-installing. Also, look into the WMC log files and see if there are any errors or warnings displayed.
I know your post was made long ago but do you happen to remember what was the "PCI express bus issue"? Because I have just moved my HVR-2250 to a new PC and it wasn't detected in the PCI-e x1 slots. I had to install it in the main x16 slot to get it working. Although that's not a problem at the moment, since I'm using the iGPU, it will be a problem when I add a discrete GPU and need to use that x16 slot. So I'm wondering if you can provide any insight into the situation? Thanks!

P.S. If anyone else reads this and can help, please reply. TIA

technodevotee

Post by technodevotee » Thu Jan 13, 2022 12:40 pm

I don't know anything about the HVR-2250 but it seems that it is quite an old design.

I have encountered problems with recent Motherboards that claim to have automatic backward compatibility with cards that were designed for earlier incarnations of the PCIe standard but don't autodetect them and I've had to go into the 'BIOS' and manually change setting for the slot I want to use.

But I don't know why it would work in one slot and not another if it was as simple as that.

stuartm

Post by stuartm » Thu Jan 13, 2022 7:05 pm

I have seen hauppauge 2250 cards exhibit this behavior before. My personal theoy is that Hauppauge has a poor PCIE bus interface design and has marginal timing issues. I would try a different card if you have one available. That was the only work around I could find (varying PCIE BIOS settings may help also) I have seen cards not detected, cards that disappear on reboot or sleep/wakeup.

Green Lantern

Post by Green Lantern » Fri Jan 14, 2022 5:37 pm

@@technodevotee @@stuartm Thanks for the info. After looking through the BIOS I've found a setting which sounds like it should allow the card to be detected in the slot I want to use it. My question is, does anyone know if you move a PCI-e tuner card from one slot to another, will everything continue to work as is within WMC or will I have to run TV setup again?

stuartm

Post by stuartm » Sat Jan 15, 2022 12:33 am

Well, I am not positive. I *think* it will be ok, try it and it it doesn't work you would have to redo tuner setup.

mrchen1211

Post by mrchen1211 » Sun Feb 06, 2022 5:28 am

Greetings, it seems has something to do with PCI GEN SPEED, if you set it up gen 2 or gen 1 for that PCI lane, the PC should detect the card, however WMC may not detect it as in my case. WINTV v10 works but not windows media center, I really don't like the interface of Wintv v10

technodevotee

Post by technodevotee » Mon Feb 07, 2022 11:46 am

mrchen1211 wrote: Sun Feb 06, 2022 5:28 am Greetings, it seems has something to do with PCI GEN SPEED, if you set it up gen 2 or gen 1 for that PCI lane, the PC should detect the card, however WMC may not detect it as in my case. WINTV v10 works but not windows media center, I really don't like the interface of Wintv v10
What hardware/software are you running on your PC then? It is unusual for WMC not to pick up tuners if WinTV does.

Does the card have drivers that appear under Sound and Video devices in device manager (often show as BDA)?

mrchen1211

Post by mrchen1211 » Wed Mar 16, 2022 9:03 am

Hey sorry for the late replies.

1. Figure out which PCI Slot you installed your tuner at. In my case it was PCI E Slot 4 by looking at my motherboard manual. You can also count it from the closesest to the furtherest from the CPU slot, closest being PCI E slot 1.
2. Restart your PC and boot into bios. My motherobard is ASROCK your interface may differ. My setting is under Advance ----- Chipset configuration ------- PCIE4 Link Speed, change speed of the tuner card slot from auto to Gen1.
3. Save your bios change and reboot into windows. I have a before and after in the device manager below.

:geek: