Windows Update 3/9/2022 Hurt My WMC

Burger23

HTPC Specs: Show details

Post by Burger23 » Fri Mar 11, 2022 12:58 am

Thanks so much. That did it. Bootup works as it should. Appreciate your patience. I did make the mistake of making changes WITH WMC LOADED- and wondering why I could not get changes to stick. Closed WMC, and changes stayed :)

AND, as you mentioned, it is very important to CHANGE SECURITY SETTINGS: From Gary, I can also verify that adding 'Everyone' with full permission on the registry key 'HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Media Center' will also work after update is installed.

Really appreciate the time you took to research this fix- and for sharing it with this group.

NOTE: It is hard enough to get my wife to click on the WMC icon to start program. Adding the step to right click and select Run as an Administrator was causing marital issues. Program now solved :lolno: :lolno:

IT Troll

Post by IT Troll » Fri Mar 11, 2022 7:40 am

Whilst granting full permissions to Everyone gets the job done, it is overkill. The better solution is just to re-add the two specific permissions to the INTERACTIVE group as detailed in the thread.
Are you a Recorded TV HD user or want to give it a try? Check out the new community-made update; Recorded TV HD v2.1.1

benhase

Post by benhase » Fri Mar 11, 2022 6:39 pm

benhase wrote: Thu Mar 10, 2022 1:23 am Same issue here WMC on Windows 8.1 Pro after installing KB5011564 (2022-03 Security Monthly Quality Rollup for Windows 8.1 for x64-based Systems).
When I open WMC is brings up a "Welcome to Windows Media Center" screen.

I did find if I start WMC in "Run as Administrator" mode, it then works correctly.
The Regedit fix from the Win7 forum solved my issue.
Warning!, an incorrect change made with Regedit can destroy your entire system (to the point you can't even reboot).

Close WMC.
1. Windows Key + R type Regedit
2. Navigate to Key: 'HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Media Center'
3. Right click -> Permissions.
4. Advanced.
5. Double Click INTERACTIVE
6. On the Right Hand Side, click on "Show advanced permissions".
7. Check these two On: Set Value and Create Subkey.
8. After the change: all but the top one [Full Control] are checked on the Left, just the bottom one [Read Control] is checked on the Right.
Save and exit Regedit. Open WMC normally (no need to reboot).

Mikeyboy

Post by Mikeyboy » Sat Mar 12, 2022 12:08 am

benhase wrote: Fri Mar 11, 2022 6:39 pm
benhase wrote: Thu Mar 10, 2022 1:23 am Same issue here WMC on Windows 8.1 Pro after installing KB5011564 (2022-03 Security Monthly Quality Rollup for Windows 8.1 for x64-based Systems).
When I open WMC is brings up a "Welcome to Windows Media Center" screen.

I did find if I start WMC in "Run as Administrator" mode, it then works correctly.
The Regedit fix from the Win7 forum solved my issue.
Warning!, an incorrect change made with Regedit can destroy your entire system (to the point you can't even reboot).

Close WMC.
1. Windows Key + R type Regedit
2. Navigate to Key: 'HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Media Center'
3. Right click -> Permissions.
4. Advanced.
5. Double Click INTERACTIVE
6. On the Right Hand Side, click on "Show advanced permissions".
7. Check these two On: Set Value and Create Subkey.
8. After the change: all but the top one [Full Control] are checked on the Left, just the bottom one [Read Control] is checked on the Right.
Save and exit Regedit. Open WMC normally (no need to reboot).
Excellant post:)

sfshank

Post by sfshank » Tue Mar 15, 2022 5:49 am

Prehaps these problems may be related to CVE-2022-21973 Windows Media Center Update Denial of Service Vulnerability, released 3/8/22
https://msrc.microsoft.com/update-guide ... 2022-21973
(also submitted to WMC 7 forum)

mercalia

Post by mercalia » Tue Mar 15, 2022 2:50 pm

sfshank wrote: Tue Mar 15, 2022 5:49 am Prehaps these problems may be related to CVE-2022-21973 Windows Media Center Update Denial of Service Vulnerability, released 3/8/22
https://msrc.microsoft.com/update-guide ... 2022-21973
(also submitted to WMC 7 forum)
if that is what it is to with, then surly hardly some thing of any significance - How many people here have dedicated MC boxes that only do that? Me for one

Thurmus

Post by Thurmus » Thu Mar 17, 2022 9:18 am

I have had the same problems. After removing and adding Media Center again and reinstalling the TV card drivers and running as Administrator I finally have it working and recording TV again. But my two Xbox 360 Extenders are no longer working. They both go to a black screen and time out after 180000ms.

One thing I did notice is when the extender user tries to log in there are errors for Event ID 6 - Search-ProfileNotify for Windows Search Service failed to create default configuration for new user ****\**** in response to user profile creation. Error code 0x80070005.

Access is denied.

Thurmus

Post by Thurmus » Thu Mar 17, 2022 9:28 am

Just uninstalled the update mentioned earlier plus another update that installed on the 13th. Extender is now working again.

Those scumbags just wasted hours of my time. I searched so many different terms and sites including this one and only just stumbled across this thread tonight.

Thank you everyone for your help.

Kenneth Burns

Post by Kenneth Burns » Thu Mar 17, 2022 5:06 pm

Whew, I was able to get back on track by rolling back KB5011564. I also turned off automatic Windows updates for now. Is there a way of knowing whether there'll be another update that supersedes or fixes this one?

technodevotee

Post by technodevotee » Thu Mar 17, 2022 7:08 pm

Kenneth Burns wrote: Thu Mar 17, 2022 5:06 pm Whew, I was able to get back on track by rolling back KB5011564. I also turned off automatic Windows updates for now. Is there a way of knowing whether there'll be another update that supersedes or fixes this one?
Well it seems that Microsoft are patching a vulnerability. While it is nice that they are still providing 'fixes' for Window 8, it's just a shame that it breaks things that people actually want to use.

Especially when it seems to be a rather silly thing to be patching in the twilight years of the OS.

The resolution / work around is to modify permissions to allow local access as per forums/viewtopic.php?p=147507#p147507.

It seems very likely that MS will re-apply the patch to systems that aren't 'locked down'.

Space

Post by Space » Thu Mar 17, 2022 9:13 pm

How can they have possibly made a patch that has a component that is specifically to fix a problem with WMC and then not test it to see if WMC works?

I can understand if the patch was unrelated to WMC (sort of) in that they just don't do regression tests with WMC, but if the patch is to specifically fix something with WMC how can they not test WMC to make sure it still works after the patch?

sorahl

Post by sorahl » Thu Mar 17, 2022 9:33 pm

i've learned my lesson... I should have come here first, before trying to reinstall window 8.1 w/wmc... what a hell the last two days have been, fortunatly i had an SSD i just replaced 2 weeks ago still. i put it back in the system and it works again, and now i know how to fix the registry.

i really need to upgrade this to win10... if i could only be sure it would work the same.

mercalia

Post by mercalia » Thu Mar 17, 2022 9:49 pm

Space wrote: Thu Mar 17, 2022 9:13 pm How can they have possibly made a patch that has a component that is specifically to fix a problem with WMC and then not test it to see if WMC works?

I can understand if the patch was unrelated to WMC (sort of) in that they just don't do regression tests with WMC, but if the patch is to specifically fix something with WMC how can they not test WMC to make sure it still works after the patch?

I have turned off auto update now. I always have a recent backup image for these circumstances. That is the only sure way to get back the system.

mercalia

Post by mercalia » Thu Mar 17, 2022 9:51 pm

sorahl wrote: Thu Mar 17, 2022 9:33 pm i've learned my lesson... I should have come here first, before trying to reinstall window 8.1 w/WMC... what a heck the last two days have been, fortunatly i had an SSD i just replaced 2 weeks ago still. i put it back in the system and it works again, and now i know how to fix the registry.

i really need to upgrade this to win10... if i could only be sure it would work the same.

Dont people who run it on W10 have to re install MC each time there is an update or something? Once you have a working system just make a backup image, it is easy to restore the boot drive from such, should the need arise.

prsa01

Post by prsa01 » Thu Mar 17, 2022 9:56 pm

If anything, win10 is more problematic. They have dealt with these types of update related issues often while this is the first time (I know of) that an update has caused problems in win7/8.

technodevotee

Post by technodevotee » Thu Mar 17, 2022 11:03 pm

Space wrote: Thu Mar 17, 2022 9:13 pm How can they have possibly made a patch that has a component that is specifically to fix a problem with WMC and then not test it to see if WMC works?

Microsoft don't care about WMC any more - they said that 'no one uses it any more' and disbanded the team years ago so there's probably no one left who knows anything about it.

sorahl

Post by sorahl » Thu Mar 17, 2022 11:56 pm

mercalia wrote: Thu Mar 17, 2022 9:51 pm
sorahl wrote: Thu Mar 17, 2022 9:33 pm i've learned my lesson... I should have come here first, before trying to reinstall window 8.1 w/WMC... what a heck the last two days have been, fortunatly i had an SSD i just replaced 2 weeks ago still. i put it back in the system and it works again, and now i know how to fix the registry.

Dont people who run it on W10 have to re install MC each time there is an update or something? Once you have a working system just make a backup image, it is easy to restore the boot drive from such, should the need arise.
I know... i just feel very vulnerable. this is a lifeline for us. saves a ton of money with Fios not using their STB's and we love the WMC interface. One day.. i won't be able to keep it going, no one else is making cable card interfaces for pcs that allow encrypted programs. i feel like that japanese soldier still fighting WWII on some deserted island in the pacific 50 years after the war ended..

Space

Post by Space » Fri Mar 18, 2022 1:03 am

technodevotee wrote: Thu Mar 17, 2022 11:03 pm ...
Microsoft don't care about WMC any more - they said that 'no one uses it any more' and disbanded the team years ago so there's probably no one left who knows anything about it.
If that's the case, then how did they make a patch that is specifically to fix an issue with WMC (as indicated in the release notes)? If you do make a patch for something that you don't know much about, shouldn't you at the very least test it to make sure it works after you think you've finalized the patch? If you knew WMC like the back of your hand, then maybe you can get away with making a minor change and not testing it, but if you don't, shouldn't you test to, at least, see if it starts up (even if you can't test every feature)?

smarti03

Post by smarti03 » Fri Mar 18, 2022 1:05 am

Would it make sense to just roll back/restore, and hide KB5011564 in Update, to avoid all the headaches ... and just assume MS will have caught up on this bug by the next monthly rollup?

technodevotee

Post by technodevotee » Fri Mar 18, 2022 7:28 am

Space wrote: Fri Mar 18, 2022 1:03 am
technodevotee wrote: Thu Mar 17, 2022 11:03 pm ...
If that's the case, then how did they make a patch that is specifically to fix an issue with WMC (as indicated in the release notes)? If you do make a patch for something that you don't know much about, shouldn't you at the very least test it to make sure it works after you think you've finalized the patch? If you knew WMC like the back of your hand, then maybe you can get away with making a minor change and not testing it, but if you don't, shouldn't you test to, at least, see if it starts up (even if you can't test every feature)?
But doesn't this seems typical of the way Microsoft do things - especially these days. Someone reports a problem (in this case a vulnerability) so they do something to 'fix' it and tell everyone they fixed it.

When people complain that they have caused a secondary issue, they may acknowledge that the 'fix' has caused other problems but only if loads of people continue to complain will they find a workaround for that as well, otherwise they just forget about it.

There are things in Windows that have never worked properly and probably never will. I suspect that the people who created the original code are long gone and no one cares enough to fix the bugs.