WMC 8.8.5 MSI Installation Package for Win10/11

Discussion of getting WMC to work on Windows 10 (unsupported)
garyan2

HTPC Specs: Show details

Post by garyan2 » Sun Feb 20, 2022 7:59 pm

New and final release ready for download. This is version 8.9.0 to be another "branch" of the efforts to keep WMC alive. This version will adjust the install based on the OS version it is installing on automatically. This version will now prompt the user to reboot the machine after uninstall prior to installing this, or another version again to make sure the services are truly stopped and removed.

Enjoy!
https://garyan2.github.io/win10.html
- Gary
Keeping WMC alive beyond January 2020. https://garyan2.github.io

Onceaweek

Post by Onceaweek » Wed Mar 02, 2022 5:25 am

Do you have a link for a 32 bit version?

cvanwormer

Post by cvanwormer » Sat Mar 05, 2022 5:36 pm

My environment: Comcast set-top-box sending to PC through Composite Video using EP123 for program guide
My problem: Windows 11 update from Windows 10 using wmcsetup-x64.msi – ep123 can’t restore – complains of no tuners in WMC
My observations solving my problem:
1. Running WMC setup takes a long time to complete the scanning process (WMC: TV Steup screen, Examining TV Signals). I found that waiting until after the first 2 or 3 dots of the scanning progress bar and then clicking the cancel button would allow me to select my cable box Composite Video input. Cancelling before the 2 dots would not allow me to get to the selection choices.
2. Multiple loops through the process of uninstalling old WMC and using the wmcsetup mis process (including repair option after right-clicking on the .msi) and then accessing epg123 would result in epg123 reporting no tuners available. Using the EPG123 “Rebuild WMC Database” option called the WMC TV Setup process again. In this repeat of the WMC setup process, I could either repeat the whole manual remote controller training process, or tell it not to repeat the training process (either path worked for me). After that process was complete, the EPG123 Restore process didn’t complain of missing WMC tuners and the saved data was restored with almost everything working again.
3. WMC no longer saves recorded videos on my preferred location (as specified in the WMC settings). It saves them on my C: drive, which doesn’t have space for videos. Manually editing the registry key solved the problem.
(found on this site) by aquadextrous » Sun Sep 19, 2021 5:13 am
Amend the recording location and watched folders in the registry: Computer\HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Media Center\Service\Recording
RecordPath and WatchedFolders are the two entries to edit. Just put the path to the folder you want in them.

garyan2

Post by garyan2 » Sat Mar 05, 2022 6:22 pm

When there is a major update to windows (like from Win10 to Win11), all the registry entries for WMC get deleted. During the update, the MSI will be installed again, but any WMC configuration is lost to include the tuners. This is why when WMC is first opened after this kind of update WMC will declare there was a database problem and a recovery was performed.

The best sequence I have found to get back up and running quickly is the following:
1. In order to get the tuners added to the WMC registry, you need to perform TV Setup at least to when it starts scanning your tuners for channels. After that, you can stop scanning and close WMC.
2. Perform a [Restore] from the client and import your guide listings.

As a trial, I had included the registry settings in the epg123 backup, but I don't think that will work in this case since it is probable that the GUID of the tuners will change. Though it will restore everything fine and look okay, you will probably end up with no tuners available when trying to watch or record TV.

I am not sure why you couldn't change the location of the recordings with WMC. I just tested it out here without a problem.
- Gary

garyan2

Post by garyan2 » Sat Mar 05, 2022 7:18 pm

I should also strongly encourage before performing an update to the OS that the user create a [Backup] first, just in case the initial WMC database recovery doesn't work as it should.
- Gary

dmac22

Post by dmac22 » Wed Mar 09, 2022 4:06 am

Hi Everyone!
I have been a long-time reader of the Green Button and have used EPG123 as my schedules replacement since MS discontinued, but I decided it was time to join so I could download Gary’s new msi.
I started my HTPC adventure in 2017 and cut the cord completely. My brother had been running a windows media machine since XP and was still running it in Win7. I wanted to do it better. I work in IT so Windows 10 seemed the way to go. I fiddled with Kodi, Plex, etc... but, I really just wanted TV and a DVR. My brother convinced me to try Media center. I tried Win10 WMC ala 2017 but it was so fussy. I wanted low maintenance. I already owned Win7 ultimate so I installed WMC on a second drive and have been running that until a few weeks ago when a new 4K TV started an upgrade project.

I wanted to replace the tuner card, not much available there… so I went with a HD HomeRun 4K. I also wanted to upgrade the operating system, but I didn’t want to destroy the Win7 yet. I started looking and I found the 8.8.5 version for Win10 and lots of good results reported. I updated the Win10 on the other drive to version 20H2 and installed WMC 8.8.5. Thank you Gary!! It installed flawlessly no issues and is running perfectly with the HD HomeRun 4K. The HomeRun brought in more channels…BONUS!

I am down to tweaking my system. I had the WIN7 opening directly to the Live TV page and I want to duplicate that. I did it originally by modifying the start target in the WMC start button with “/mcesuperbar://tv?live=true”. So I tried modifying the start button created by the 8.8.5 install. No good. Searched out several other methods, startup switches, etc... no good. I knew about the new ehome folder located in Program Files and I think moving that was a great idea to prevent MS update destruction. I had been trying unsuccessfully to modify this shortcut to Program files\Windows Media Center\ehome\eshell.exe.

Then I discovered there is also an ehome folder in the Windows folder. Hmmm… Does this eshell.exe start WMC too? Yes, both do. What if I make a shortcut from this eshell.exe and add the start condition? Voila... it works with the same old statement.

But WHY are there two ehome folders and two eshell.exe's? Why do they both work, but only the Windows location shortcut will respond to the start condition? I don’t really need to know, although I do have a question. Does it matter which eshell.exe WMC is started from?

garyan2

Post by garyan2 » Wed Mar 09, 2022 2:46 pm

The shortcuts the msi creates are not shortcuts you would expect. They appear to part of the self-repair mechanism which will do some checks of the install prior to opening the target program. Basically, it is not a normal shortcut.

There is not actually 2 ehome folders. If you look in file explorer, you will see that the c:\windows\ehome folder looks like a shortcut. This is a folder junction to the installation\ehome folder. So both "c:\windows\ehome\ehshell.exe" and "c:\program files\windows media center\ehome\ehshell.exe" actually point to the exact same file on your drive. What you did to create the shortcut was perfect.
- Gary

dmac22

Post by dmac22 » Thu Mar 10, 2022 5:00 am

Thanks for the explanation Gary!

Burger23

Post by Burger23 » Thu Mar 10, 2022 8:57 pm

Decided to try this on my Windows 11. All went fine, except that I am not asked to configure my tuners. I get a TUNER NOT FOUND error message, which is understandable since I was never asked to setup my HDHomerun tuner. I went into TASKS-SETUP TV SIGNAL, and again was never asked to setup tuners. Ideas? Thanks

Burger23

Post by Burger23 » Thu Mar 10, 2022 9:05 pm

ignore

garyan2

Post by garyan2 » Thu Mar 10, 2022 9:16 pm

Just a couple things. Did you install the hdhomerun windows drivers (not just the app). What model of tuners? If it is cablecard, then you're not going to be able to get them to work in Win10/Win11 above Win10 1511.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

- Gary

Burger23

Post by Burger23 » Thu Mar 10, 2022 9:56 pm

Thanks for your prompt reply.

Yes, my HDHomerun tuners have cable cards. I was not aware that the cable card issue still remains. I have 2 media server pcs- each are Windows 8.1. Both are partitioned and have Windows 10 1511. But as long as I can use Windows 8, I haven't tried the partitioned Windows in months (years!!).

So, this experiment on my Windows 11 machine failed. That's OK- nothing ventured, nothing gained.

Thanks again for all you do to keep Windows Media Center active.

garyvx

Post by garyvx » Fri Mar 11, 2022 5:34 am

I had a WIN7 MCE running with 2 XBOX360 extenders and it stated to have issues so I've setup a newer WIN10 with Gary's MSI package and all the MCE parts seem to be working fine. When I was at the stage to configure the XBOX360 as extenders it failed.
Questions...
Has anyone got extenders working on WIN10.
Are they even supported on this MIS package?
Regards Gary

technodevotee

Post by technodevotee » Fri Mar 11, 2022 7:16 am

Extenders haven't worked for a very long time.

The most recent combination that I could make them work reliably was Windows 10 V1511 and WMC V12.

Even then, I could get my XBox to work but not my Ceton Echo.

garyvx

Post by garyvx » Fri Mar 11, 2022 10:43 pm

OK, thanks, looks like I'll need to go back to WIN7 on my HTPC to keep the wife happy then. :)

Regards Gary

Fpostgate

Post by Fpostgate » Sun Mar 13, 2022 3:33 am

I get an error on TV - "no tuner detected" on my windows 10 machine. The WMC on my win 8.1 works fine. There is a silicondust HDHomerun Prime 3x network tuner. I can however use the HD Homerun Prime internal software and watch some channels on the win 10 machin, but the WMC refuses to find the tuner. Kinda strange, glad the 8.1 works, I'd like to update the OS but not gonna without the WMC!

Thanks,
Farley

technodevotee

Post by technodevotee » Sun Mar 13, 2022 7:32 am

This is my understanding of the issues involved in why WMC doesn't recognise certain HDHomerun tuners:

WMC itself is not the culprit and in theory, it doesn't matter which version is used because the DRM mechanism required for cablecards was removed from Windows 10 after V1511.

Silicon Dust appear to have removed support for WMC in the drivers after 2015.

The upshot is that to get Silicon Dust cable cards working in Windows 10 you need to use V1511 and drivers from 2015.

It is also vital that updates are disabled - preferably using stopupdates10.

I don't know which versions of WMC have been tested on this combination but I can say that the majority of workarounds that have been applied since V12 aren't required on such an old configuration.

Space

Post by Space » Sun Mar 13, 2022 1:08 pm

technodevotee wrote: Sun Mar 13, 2022 7:32 am...
Silicon Dust appear to have removed support for WMC in the drivers after 2015.
I have Win7 and am still using the drivers that came with the 20150826 Prime firmware. If it's true that you need to use 2015 drivers with WMC, do you know if the situation is the same for the Prime firmware?

I really haven't seen much discussion here about the Prime and what drivers/firmware people are using and I was just wondering about this, as I know there are some Prime firmware features I am missing out on by not upgrading, but I don't know if I can use the latest Prime firmware with the old 2015 drivers, or if it would be a bad idea to do that. I do know that once you upgrade the firmware on the Prime there is no way to go back to an older version, so that is why I never really thought too much about doing it.
Last edited by Space on Mon Mar 14, 2022 1:49 am, edited 1 time in total.

technodevotee

Post by technodevotee » Sun Mar 13, 2022 3:37 pm

No idea about firmware I'm afraid.

I assume you have looked at the section about Silicon Dust on here: forums/viewforum.php?f=89?

mwpeterson

Post by mwpeterson » Sun Mar 13, 2022 6:09 pm

SiliconDust still supports WMC on Win7 and Win 8.1. The HDHomeRun software just won't install the WMC service on Windows 10 after 20150826.