WMC on Windows 10 'Mute' kills Intel GPU - System Restore

Discussion of getting WMC to work on Windows 10 (unsupported)
dmcq

HTPC Specs: Show details

WMC on Windows 10 'Mute' kills Intel GPU - System Restore

Post by dmcq » Sun Feb 20, 2022 5:31 pm

Asus Z590-i Intel i5-11600, video and audio via HDMI
Windows 10 Pro version 10.0.19043 Build 19043 - latest drivers from Asus, Intel, Microsoft.

MCE install either 8.8.5 or Gary's MSI
WMC runs fine until the 'Mute' button is pressed, then the HDMI output fails and cannot be recovered without a restore - happens virtually every time.
That said PC is still functioning and can be connected to via RDP and performs fine including MCE (something W7 wouldn't do)!
Safe Boot works but system restore still required for return to full working order - no error messages of any meaning to me left anywhere.
sfc /scannow runs and reports some file fixes but still no output from GPU - so possibly a registry corruption - don't know, out of my depth.

This happens even if the MCE Captions option is turned off.

Ideas and help would be much appreciated - beginning to flag after 10th restore. :problem:

dmcq

Post by dmcq » Sun Feb 20, 2022 8:59 pm

Compatibility mode doesn't help either, but Mute button is fine over RDP - is that weird?
Anyone else running this on an intel Z590 chip mobo with 11th gen cpu and HDMI monitoring?

garyan2

Post by garyan2 » Mon Feb 21, 2022 5:45 am

Probably not related, but in the past I had problems with HDMI due to the audio channels with AV equipment. Whenever the computer went to sleep, or maybe even when the screen went to sleep, the HDMI would never come back and I was forced to reboot. The fix was a setting in the driver(s) to continuously send audio even when there was no sound to keep the AV equipment synced. After that, no issues.
- Gary
Keeping WMC alive beyond January 2020. https://garyan2.github.io

dmcq

Post by dmcq » Mon Feb 21, 2022 4:01 pm

Thanks Gary.
I think this is probably an Intel driver issue as when it happens it seems to take part of the registry with it - hence won't come back after a re-boot - needs a recovery.
Over RDP the mute button is fine so it's not a problem for Windows seemingly - even after the GPU has gone out
Anyone any ideas as to how best to progress?

technodevotee

Post by technodevotee » Mon Feb 21, 2022 6:31 pm

Sure is a weird one.

Have you tried an older driver?

You probably know this but the reason it works in RDP is because Windows uses virtual audio and display devices in RDP sessions.

dmcq

Post by dmcq » Mon Feb 21, 2022 6:48 pm

Thanks technodevotee - appreciate your help.
I'm on my 5th driver - though all fairly recent - same result.
I didn't know exactly how RDP worked - so thanks for that - my point really was that Windows itself, albeit with virtual drivers is more than happy with the 'Mute' button.
That's why I think it's the Intel GPU driver.
Does anyone know how to get Intel 'interested' in this issue please?

technodevotee

Post by technodevotee » Mon Feb 21, 2022 7:03 pm

The problem you are going to have is that you are running an unsupported product.

I suspect they would only be interested if you can reproduce the problem in Windows itself or at the very least a supported product like Groove music or Films and TV.

I do hope I'm wrong though!

dmcq

Post by dmcq » Mon Feb 21, 2022 8:33 pm

Yes exactly - that is the problem I have got!
My point really is that Windows (via RDP) seems fine so it is not about Windows and the product but Intel and the product - not the same perhaps.
Microsoft can say they don't support MCE anymore, but can Intel legitimately say that?
More to the point is anyone else running Z590 chipset and 11th gen CPU & GPU - because if so are they getting it too?
Or is everyone else on either older Intel GPU or not using Mini ITX and so a separate video card?
Anyone have an 'entre' into Intel?

Space

Post by Space » Mon Feb 21, 2022 8:45 pm

Just a shot in the dark, but does the Windows-P key combo (PC screen only, Duplicate, Extend, Second Screen Only) do anything when you are in the state where there is no video output?

https://www.howtogeek.com/664234/how-to ... indows-10/

dmcq

Post by dmcq » Mon Feb 21, 2022 8:59 pm

Hi Space - don't know as I don't have a second screen to try with - or is there an alternative?
Asus X590-i only has one monitor output and that is HDMI

Space

Post by Space » Mon Feb 21, 2022 9:11 pm

You should be able to press Win-p and then the down arrow and <enter> to switch to the next option, even if you can't see video output. To go to the second option, just win-p then down arrow twice, and <enter>, etc. I think you can try each option by just doing a win-p once and then down-arrow, <enter> several times. Each time you press down-arrow, <enter> you will switch to the different mode, eventually coming back to the original mode.

If your system thinks it has a secondary monitor (even if it doesn't) this may switch it back to your "primary monitor". Like I said, it's just a shot in the dark...

You can even try this when you are not experiencing the issue, just to see if your system thinks it has a secondary monitor.

garyan2

Post by garyan2 » Mon Feb 21, 2022 9:16 pm

Something missing here is can you mute outside of WMC without issue?

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

- Gary
Keeping WMC alive beyond January 2020. https://garyan2.github.io

dmcq

Post by dmcq » Mon Feb 21, 2022 9:29 pm

Gary - Oh what a clever chap you are !!!!
Just run wmc and muted via the windows sound icon and bang it's gone!
I know I have to test it again (after a restore) without MCE running - but what does that imply.
I love people who can think out of the box!

dmcq

Post by dmcq » Mon Feb 21, 2022 10:17 pm

OMG!!!
And other expletives that should not be used on any board - don't I feel daft! :oops:
Muting Windows 10 without MCE running kills the GPU - yes really - I don't believe it but it's just done it
So sorry to malign MCE and all the good folk behind it.
Obviously I can now escalate to Asus but anyone any thoughts?

As ever a very big thank you to Gary for the right thinking - we're lucky to have you Gary! :crazy:

unclebun

Post by unclebun » Tue Feb 22, 2022 1:34 am

Another thought is to try CTRL-SHIFT-WINDOWS-B which restarts the video driver.

Space

Post by Space » Tue Feb 22, 2022 3:26 am

unclebun wrote: Tue Feb 22, 2022 1:34 am Another thought is to try CTRL-SHIFT-WINDOWS-B which restarts the video driver.
Interesting... But according to this it does not restart the video driver, but "It does appear to discard the desktop surface buffer and re-create the allocation from DWM (on a healthy system the desktop goes black for a second)".

Still worth a try to see if it can recover the display.

dmcq

Post by dmcq » Wed Feb 23, 2022 3:52 pm

Thanks guys but CTRL-SHIFT-WINDOWS-B doesn't really help once the situation occurs.
I have replaced every driver I can find - the situation with just windows running is -
When audio is via HDMI moving the windows audio slider to zero (which is the point it changes to 'mute') blacks out the screen and then the GPU output fails altogether requiring a restore.
If the fader is moved down to zero and quickly back the video recovers after blackout and all is well again.
With audio via the line out jack all is well including muting.
By now you might, like me, think this was a driver issue - so I contacted Intel and a nice man in Eastern Europe engaged on the phone no less.
After a bit of persuasion he thought it could be the cpu - so we downloaded their Intel Diagnostic Processor tool.
This starts and promptly fails with .Net error - a trip into the registry proved .Net for Windows 10 is installed and the correct version - so I said his tool was out of date.
He said it's definitely the processor if his tool doesn't run and is arranging a replacement!
This process, if you haven't done it, requires removal of cpu, repackaging, DHL collection paid for by Intel and then 1 month till they send a replacement.
This I did today but I actually have another i5-11600 which I popped in while the 1 month wait begins - guess what - it's exactly the same as before.

I'm older though not wiser.

Space

Post by Space » Wed Feb 23, 2022 5:52 pm

Oof, that hurts...

Have you tried a different HDMI cable or a different TV/HDMI port on the TV?

HDMI can be very finicky and cause strange issues due to the way it handles DRM.

Another possibility is a bad motherboard I suppose...

dmcq

Post by dmcq » Wed Feb 23, 2022 5:57 pm

Done the cable bit and it's fine with 2 other Z490 mobos and 10th gen cpus.
Well it could be the mobo I suppose but expensive experiment if not.
Strange no message anywhere.
Guess I might try Intel community tomorrow.

dmcq

Post by dmcq » Tue Apr 05, 2022 3:04 pm

This turned out to be a faulty mobo.
I have now rebuilt my 3 pc/tvs with Asus Z-490i mobos, dual M2 drives, Noctura low profile fan, Startech USB header to Com port, Pico 160w DC>DC PSU and BlackGold 3600 tuner
Software Gary Ryan's MCE MSI and his EPG 123
Special thanks to Gary for coping with my dumb questions! :lol: