The EPG123 Server service terminated unexpectedly

An evolving, supported alternative to Rovi
Forum rules
★ Download the latest EPG123 here: https://garyan2.github.io/ <> Setup guide here: https://garyan2.github.io/install.html
Space

HTPC Specs: Show details

The EPG123 Server service terminated unexpectedly

Post by Space » Mon Feb 14, 2022 8:44 pm

I noticed today that when I searched for an actor for a particular movie, it brought up three movies that were in the guide, but none had poster art (I normally don't pay too much attention to the poster art). This led me to try to connect to the EPG123 server via the browser and it timed out.

I ran Services.msc on the HTPC and I found out the EPG123 Server service was not running (even though it was set to Automatic).

I then looked in Event Viewer and found that the service had started on 2/3/2022, but then on 2/6/2022 I saw this event:

2/6/2022 2:40am The EPG123 Server service terminated unexpectedly. It has done this 1 time(s).

I saw no other events regarding the EPG123 Server service after that event (although I am not sure how to search the Event Viewer effectively so I may have missed something).

I manually restarted the service and it seems fine now, but I am wondering what happened?

The server.log contained nothing other than the one message that was logged when I restarted the service. Is this log cleared on every restart? Does the EPG123 server log anything in Event Viewer or anywhere else?

Also, I noticed when looking at the service, in the "Recovery" tab, that it has "Take no action" for when the server crashes, is this intended?

I am running EPG123 v1.7.0.12.

garyan2

Post by garyan2 » Mon Feb 14, 2022 9:19 pm

The service starts a new log every time it is started, which is probably why I didn't configure any recovery actions. If it happens again, before starting the service manually (or rebooting), take a look at the log file to see if anything is there.

The code is pretty well protected behind multiple try/catches but looks like an exception got through to terminate the service. I'll take a look at the code to make some guesses but I don't have a clue right now what it could have been.
- Gary
Keeping WMC alive beyond January 2020. https://garyan2.github.io

Space

Post by Space » Mon Feb 14, 2022 10:10 pm

OK, I will keep an eye on it, however there still seems to be issues with IMAGE_NOT_FOUND on many images. I think it may be related to season specific images. This makes it more difficult to easily tell if the server has crashed, since many shows don't have any images already.

I vaguely remember that if the season image was not found it was supposed to serve the generic image for that show, but I don't remember the details. Are you aware that there are still issues with season specific images on Schedules Direct? Also, is EPG123 supposed to use the series image if the season image is not found?

garyan2

Post by garyan2 » Mon Feb 14, 2022 10:35 pm

SD has been working on that, and yes for right now it is specific to season images. He rebuilt all the images this weekend so all the series images should be good now. Like I said, working on the code to get the season images back which will require another rebuild.

You can clear your cache and build a new file. It won't have any season links, just the series links, so you won't get any IMAGE_NOT_FOUND errors.
- Gary

Space

Post by Space » Tue Feb 15, 2022 12:46 am

I cleared the cache and regenerated/loaded the new MXF but still get IMAGE_NOT_FOUND for season images.

Some seasons have images, others do not and generate the error message. Perhaps WMC still has some cached, but I doubt the shows I am testing with ever had any images cached, as I rarely view the guide, unless they are cached for a very long time.

For instance, one show has episodes for seasons 1-4 and only season 4 has images, all the others are blank, another has season 1-3 and only season 2 is missing images.

The Simpsons is a good one to check since it has so many seasons and many episodes from many season are currently in the guide (on FXX), and the only seasons that have images are: 1,3,5,16,20,24. All the other seasons with episodes in the guide (4,6,7,8,9,10,11,12,13,14,15,18,26,28) produce a FILE_NOT_FOUND message and no image in the guide.

EDIT: One other thing is that I didn't clear the WMC DB, and I'm not sure if the image URL changes for a series, that it will update the guide. If WMC does not update the WMC DB with the URL changes in the MXF, then I suppose that could be why this is not working.

garyan2

Post by garyan2 » Tue Feb 15, 2022 1:17 am

Hmm, he must still be in the process of rebuilding the seasons. Since the beginning of the year, there have been no season images at all in the data from SD. Clearing the cache should have wiped everything clean and "removed" any season images from the WMC database. I'll try to get a status on all that.
- Gary