Change drive letter TV recording to use QNAP NAS

Discussion of getting WMC to work on Windows 10 (unsupported)
tonwes

HTPC Specs: Show details

Change drive letter TV recording to use QNAP NAS

Post by tonwes » Fri Nov 05, 2021 6:53 pm

Replacing my WMC/8.1/octopus PC with a lean W10/W11 i5 laptop with SSD and hdmi out.

I want to store recordings on a network drive on my QNAP NAS, but WMC only lets you select physical/local drives.

QNAP NAS forum suggests setting up a iSCSI map, which is a hassle but might work. Any there from WMC side other suggestions?

(BTW, would like to use the NAS as DLNA server to WMC, but it seems I cannot get the required DVBLink license to host DVB-C tuners on the QNAP.

Thnx, Ton

aquadextrous

Post by aquadextrous » Sun Nov 07, 2021 11:51 am

viewtopic.php?f=97&t=13690

Try the instructions I put on this thread to change recording and recording watch paths using RegEdit.. I haven't tried, but I'd guess you could probably put a network location here. Hope this works for you.

tonwes

Post by tonwes » Sun Nov 07, 2021 12:34 pm

Tried editing the registry to network drive Z (mapped & visible in File Manager)
both Z:\ as well as Z:\Recorded TV\ yield the MCE response "storage location unavailable", so sadly this workaround doesn't work for me.

Thanks anyway! Ton

technodevotee

Post by technodevotee » Sat Nov 13, 2021 10:14 am

Could this be a permissions issue?

I believe WMC requires full control on the folder.

tonwes

Post by tonwes » Sun Nov 21, 2021 7:54 am

In MCE 2005 already drive choice was limited to local drives. iSCSI seems to map a NAS drive as being local, so this could be a solution.

Suggestions changing registry settings did not help. I did find this link on the forum, but I fear its application is limited to running MCE on a VM: viewtopic.php?t=10859

This issue is caused by the move from a power consuming desktop to a redundant laptop with just 64Gb of SDD. So... either buy a $60 1TB USB HDD, or go through the trouble of configuring iSCSI...

Thnx for your input! Ton

Space

Post by Space » Sun Nov 21, 2021 11:58 am

Be careful with using an external drive as your recording drive. WMC checks the drive when the service starts up (during system bootup, normally) and if the external drive does not respond within a short time, it will make the recording drive be drive C:

I believe if it later is able to access your configured recording drive (the USB drive) it will change it back, but there is a bug that makes it keep the "live TV buffer" on the C: drive even after it changes the recording location to the USB drive. This can be a problem if you don't have a lot of free space on your C: drive and use the "live TV" feature of WMC.

tonwes

Post by tonwes » Sun Nov 21, 2021 12:01 pm

Thnx, will check response

1ST1

Post by 1ST1 » Sat Jan 01, 2022 10:16 pm

I wouldn't do that, recording directly to the NAS. Record locally and move the files there once a day. I sugest you to create a batch job like:

Code: Select all

@echo off
set user=a_local_user_on_the_server
set pass=its_password
set server=my_nas_name_or_ip
set netdrive=z:
set robo_options=/mov /e /s /minage:1 /r:3 /w:1
set source="d:\recorded tv"
set target="\\%server%\recorded tv" 

ping %server% -n 1 >nul:
if not %errorlevel%==0 exit

net use %netdrive% %target% /user:%server%\%user% %pass%
robocopy %robo_options% %source% %netdrive% *.wtv
net use %netdrive% /delete
Place it in the sheduled tasks to run it daily, maybe with automatic wakeup. I do it that way, but I have the minage not with 1 day, but 7. minage with at least 1 day is needed that it does not try to move a file over there which is currently recorded.