WMC on Windows 11?

Discussion of getting WMC to work on Windows 10 (unsupported)
Tweakfiend

HTPC Specs: Show details

Post by Tweakfiend » Sun Aug 29, 2021 8:59 am

Hi

Reinstalled 8.8.5 and opened again 1st time as administrator ( as opposed to second time etc )
Now seems ok
Thanks for your input Techdevotee

Tweakfiend

Post by Tweakfiend » Sun Aug 29, 2021 9:01 am

Now loading after reinstall / first open as administrator
Thanks for your input

A few minutes later can confirm that I have a message that ""setting up media libraries, some components are missing "
So no music , video , DVD libraries etc will populate .

Tweakfiend

Post by Tweakfiend » Sun Aug 29, 2021 10:58 am

Strangely, will now store libraries with "Sebas1974" recent ehres.dll update

sebas197422

Post by sebas197422 » Sun Aug 29, 2021 2:12 pm

you need too install codecs for it i installed shark007 and it worked after !

Tweakfiend

Post by Tweakfiend » Sun Aug 29, 2021 9:49 pm

I had mpg 2 codecs installed but made no difference , perhaps you mean something else ?

sebas197422

Post by sebas197422 » Mon Aug 30, 2021 2:50 am

i installed the 64 bit codecs pack from shark007 and after this it worked

Mugsy

Post by Mugsy » Wed Oct 06, 2021 10:43 pm

Just "upgraded" to Win11 (22000.one-ninety-four) and WMC won't launch.

I haven't tried a reinstall yet.

ADDENDUM: Tried to reinstall. Gives "ERROR: Already installed". I don't wish to uninstall/reinstall. I had it all setup with EPG123. Tried the supplied "8.7-8.8-QuickFix.reg" too. Didn't help. Tried running "ehshell.exe" directly as Admin. Didn't help.

Suggestions?

Last edited by Mugsy on Thu Oct 07, 2021 3:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

john321

Post by john321 » Thu Oct 07, 2021 5:07 am

Why bother? Buy a new Tivo.

Mugsy

Post by Mugsy » Thu Oct 07, 2021 12:42 pm

john321 wrote: Thu Oct 07, 2021 5:07 am Why bother? Buy a new Tivo.
I assume that reply is directed to everybody, or are you not aware of the purpose of this site? :wtf:

technodevotee

Post by technodevotee » Thu Oct 07, 2021 6:26 pm

Mugsy wrote: Wed Oct 06, 2021 10:43 pm Just "upgraded" to Win11 (22000.one-ninety-four) and WMC won't launch.

I haven't tried a reinstall yet.

ADDENDUM: Tried to reinstall. Gives "ERROR: Already installed". I don't wish to uninstall/reinstall. I had it all setup with EPG123. Tried the supplied "8.7-8.8-QuickFix.reg" too. Didn't help. Tried running "ehshell.exe" directly as Admin. Didn't help.

Suggestions?

The thing is, Windows upgrades remove the WMC services, registry entries, assembles and a lot of other stuff. Many attempts have been made by me and others at doing repair (over the top) installs but it doesn't work so I'm afraid that you will almost certainly have to uninstall and re-install.

And that will almost certainly mean setting up from scratch as backuprestoresettings doesn't seem to help when going from Windows 10 to Windows 11.

It is a bummer I know but that is the hand we were dealt by MS when they discontinued support for the product.
Last edited by technodevotee on Fri Oct 08, 2021 3:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mugsy

Post by Mugsy » Thu Oct 07, 2021 8:32 pm

Thanks. :(

aquadextrous

Post by aquadextrous » Fri Oct 08, 2021 2:41 pm

The good news is (hopefully) that after the initial reinstall on Windows 11, it looks like future W11 updates come through as cumulative updates and so far none of these (there have been quite a few dev/beta builds in the 22000.XXX range and none of these have broken WMC for me (where as when i was on the W10 insider program almost every build released broke WMC in some way)) Plus Windows 11 will only receive the big feature updates annually instead of every 6 months so even if need to reinstall WMC it's only half the work!

Mugsy

Post by Mugsy » Fri Oct 08, 2021 5:13 pm

I uninstalled EPG123 then WMC, rebooted, reinstalled WMC and it worked.

I then reinstalled EPG123 and it remembered my username/password, making setting back up easier.

It'll be a while before I recall/reset all of my scheduled recordings.

tonwes

Post by tonwes » Fri Oct 08, 2021 8:12 pm

@Tweakfriend, did you get .168 to work? What was the trick?

Tweakfiend

Post by Tweakfiend » Wed Oct 20, 2021 4:12 pm

Yes , Media Center works up to current 22000.258 with visual facelift previously provided in Aug/ Sept.

Make sure you as usual run the 2 part installer as administrator , as well as initial shortcut start after installation
You do have to start and stop and restart to get the media libraries to populate properly.

I wish the non working "Shared network drives" issue was that easy.

Djpasek

Post by Djpasek » Thu Oct 21, 2021 6:50 pm

aquadextrous wrote: ↑Sun Aug 15, 2021 1:24 pm
lachape_one wrote: ↑Sun Aug 15, 2021 1:25 am
Everything work fine except the red button while recording does not appear. I don't remember if this issue was already on the latest version on 10 or not.
Make sure that in the Start Menu > Programs > Start-up folder is a shortcut to ehtray.exe with the target set as C:\Windows\ehome\ehtray.exe /surviveehschedtermination this will keep the tray icon alive in the background and show the red symbol in the taskbar when recording. Also I think it helps keep the green button active to launch WMC via remote.

OK thanks for the reminder. In fact, the feature is already integrated on 8.8.5 by default, but I don't know why I turned it off on Startup Apps. My bad.

On my newly built HTPC w/W11, WMC 8.8.5, the Start Menu > Programs > Start-up folder DOES have ehtray.exe present with the target set as C:\Windows\ehome\ehtray.exe /surviveehschedtermination, and it IS enabled in Task Manager, Startup but I DO NOT get the "green button" in my taskbar upon booting or after loading up and using Media Center, nor do I see ehtray running in Task Manager. I DO get the red globe in the taskbar when recording, however, then after recording completes, the taskbar icon disappears again. Is this normal behavior or should the taskbar show the "green button" at all times (other than when recording) to indicate that ehtray is loaded and running? I have no trouble lauching WMC with my remote despite the "green button" not showing in the taskbar. Thanks to anyone with any comments or suggestions.

aquadextrous

Post by aquadextrous » Thu Oct 21, 2021 10:28 pm

Djpasek wrote: Thu Oct 21, 2021 6:50 pm On my newly built HTPC w/W11, WMC 8.8.5, the Start Menu > Programs > Start-up folder DOES have ehtray.exe present with the target set as C:\Windows\ehome\ehtray.exe /surviveehschedtermination, and it IS enabled in Task Manager, Startup but I DO NOT get the "green button" in my taskbar upon booting or after loading up and using Media Center, nor do I see ehtray running in Task Manager. I DO get the red globe in the taskbar when recording, however, then after recording completes, the taskbar icon disappears again. Is this normal behavior or should the taskbar show the "green button" at all times (other than when recording) to indicate that ehtray is loaded and running? I have no trouble lauching WMC with my remote despite the "green button" not showing in the taskbar. Thanks to anyone with any comments or suggestions.
Just the red circle when recording. A green WMC logo does show occasionally in the taskbar if WMC is doing certain tasks or attempting to update or connect to a server.
I think the ehtray keeps other background programs alive which allow the recording symbol in the tray and also allows the green button (and others like DVR and Guide) on a WMC remote to open WMC from the desktop. I could be wrong on this but I'm sure the 'surviveehschedtermination' tag fixed this for my remote.

ChrisW6ATV

Post by ChrisW6ATV » Fri Dec 10, 2021 4:42 am

I rebuilt my HTPC recently, with Windows 11 (using the Registry hacks to bypass TPM and Secure Boot); the specs are in my profile. WMC 8.8.5 installed fine, and I have just set up an HDHomeRun Connect 4K along with EPG-Collector for guide data from the OTA channels. It needs some fine tuning, but overall it seems to work. I have it recording three 30-minute shows right now; I will find out soon enough if they are what the guide said they would be.

The red dot for recording, and the green logo for other actions/guide download are both in the System Tray "more icons" list, I have not yet figured out how to force it to display all try items.

ChrisW6ATV

Post by ChrisW6ATV » Fri Dec 10, 2021 5:50 am

I got the WMC taskbar icons to appear full-time by going into Taskbar Properties and enabling them under "Taskbar corner overflow". (I had immediately moved my Taskbar Alignment to "left" when I first ran Windows 11.)

Also, the three programs recorded and played as expected/hoped, so I have confirmed that WMC works in my installation of Windows 11, and that I can get guide data to work. Woo hoo!

prsa01

Post by prsa01 » Fri Dec 10, 2021 11:20 am

ChrisW6ATV wrote: Fri Dec 10, 2021 5:50 am I got the WMC taskbar icons to appear full-time by going into Taskbar Properties and enabling them under "Taskbar corner overflow". (I had immediately moved my Taskbar Alignment to "left" when I first ran Windows 11.)

Also, the three programs recorded and played as expected/hoped, so I have confirmed that WMC works in my installation of Windows 11, and that I can get guide data to work. Woo hoo!
Chris,

Assume you have read about the update issues and have a plan in place for dealing with them. I started another thread specific to dealing with win10/11 updates that has an answer from one of the experienced users.

Basically:
o stop10 (or similar) stop updates
o remove wmc (details in that thread)
o Do updates
o reinstall wmc
o stop updates

I don't yet have a box on 10/11 but will soon

Good luck!