Mystery tuner problem

Discussion of getting WMC to work on Windows 10 (unsupported)
stuartm

HTPC Specs: Show details

Post by stuartm » Tue Jul 27, 2021 11:50 pm

I don't think SiliconDust makes any satellite tuners which I think is the OP's goal since the TBS 6902 is a satellite tuner.

dkrom

Post by dkrom » Wed Jul 28, 2021 11:33 pm

This thread makes me curious- I tried to make my WMC wake from sleep with a Hauppauge TV card and always had this problem. I switched to a HDHOMERUN about a year back and haven’t tried the wake from sleep - I just figured it was a feature that never worked. I might try in the next few days to see if it’ll work with the new tuner and report back.

technodevotee

Post by technodevotee » Thu Jul 29, 2021 6:36 am

The other thing I had with the new cards was that the PC would often reboot on wake - I could tell it had happened because num-lock was on and I had to keep turning it off so I could log in - but what I couldn't tell was whether it was the new cards or the Windows Upgrade that was causing it.

Since refitting the old (TBS 6982) cards, the PC wakes from sleep cleanly and records properly just like it always did. So I guess it is the TBS 6902 cards and not the Windows upgrade.

I now need to figure out whether it is either an issue with the driver, a conflict between the cards and the Motherboard or just duff cards so I'll install them in another PC and see what happens.
Last edited by technodevotee on Thu Jul 29, 2021 6:13 pm, edited 2 times in total.

dkrom

Post by dkrom » Thu Jul 29, 2021 3:25 pm

My first attempt to wake and record actually worked using the HDHOMERUN. Didn’t let it sleep too long though. I may do further testing since I’d rather not have it on all the time without sleeping.

stuartm

Post by stuartm » Thu Jul 29, 2021 5:28 pm

When I was fighting sleep/wakeup problems with my Hauppauge tuner cards. The problems ended up following cards. i.e. moving the card to different machine the problem followed. I ended up going through multiple cards till I got ones that would sleep/wake cleanly.

technodevotee

Post by technodevotee » Thu Aug 05, 2021 6:02 am

Having put the old tuners back in the Living Room PC, it is working fine, just as it always did with the 6982s.

So I installed the new tuners (6902s) in a different PC and had the same issue with no signal when waking from sleep to do a recording.

It is early days yet but there seem to be a couple of differences. Firstly, I haven't seen the other PC reboot when waking from sleep and secondly, it seems that I get a signal the first time I select a channel from the guide or use Live TV.

So in summary, it seems there is still the issue with waking from sleep but they work when the PC is already on.

technodevotee

Post by technodevotee » Thu Aug 12, 2021 2:06 pm

I gave up with the 6902s and went back to the 6982s.

I got a refund on the 6902s as they were clearly no good.