Move the Recorded TV folder to a network drive

Discussion of getting WMC to work on Windows 10 (unsupported)
tiabuanaka

HTPC Specs: Show details

Move the Recorded TV folder to a network drive

Post by tiabuanaka » Fri Jun 25, 2021 9:55 pm

Is there a way to move the Recorded TV folder to a network drive, i.e. that the recordings are saved on this? or can you include a network drive as a local drive in Windows 10?

thegreat3d

Post by thegreat3d » Sat Jul 24, 2021 9:20 pm

I have 2 WMC PCs, one in the living room the other the bedroom. They record locally but i share the 2 recorded folders on my network. i have my recorded folder settings pointed to both locations on each PC so the recorded shows from both PCs show up on each.

garyan2

Post by garyan2 » Sat Jul 24, 2021 10:08 pm

WMC won't let you use network drives for your recording location. Too much risk of network problems causing corrupted recordings. In the past, I used WHS v1 and then WHS 2011 which would add a plugin to WMC that once the recording was complete, it would move the file to the server for sharing with all the other WMC machines.

It is a bit of a process manually. You can trigger off a recording complete event to move the file, but you have to be careful. You will want to transfer the file over with a temporary extension so that WMC will not try to import it into the Recordings media folder before the file has completely moved. Otherwise it will probably not import any of the metadata. Once it is moved over, then change the extension to .wtv. You could also just run a batch script at a specific time to move the contents of your local folder to the server so that it will be empty for the next round of recordings.
- Gary
Keeping WMC alive beyond January 2020. https://garyan2.github.io

Venom51

Post by Venom51 » Sun Jul 25, 2021 8:37 pm

Ask and ye shall recieve.

viewtopic.php?f=11&t=10204

The limitation being that the sharing of recorded content still involves mapping shares for each media center.