I give up on WMC 7

Rickt1962

HTPC Specs: Show details

I give up on WMC 7

Post by Rickt1962 » Mon Jul 12, 2021 7:29 pm

I give up :( Been using HDhomeRun with comcast and WMC as my recorder but MCEbuddy can not take the video and reload it without commercials back to my server. People over at MCEbuddy said Windows has the file locked and I can't figure it out. So looking at NextPVR as my recorder I already pay for EPG123.
Will NextPVR work with my setup ?
Any suggestions for alternatives ?
HTPC W7 pro with HDhomerun with 6 tuners using Comcast scanned by MCEbuddy uploaded to network to be watched by KODI

Space

Post by Space » Tue Jul 13, 2021 1:05 am

One main reason to use WMC over other alternatives is that it is the only PC based DVR that can record copy-once (DRM protected) channels.

I'm not familiar with Comcast, but from some posts I've read from 4 years ago, it looks like they may only DRM protect premium channels such as HBO, Cinemax, Showtime, etc. So as long as you don't care about recording those channels, this particular issue may not affect you (assuming they don't protect more channels than just those premium ones).

As far as using MCEbuddy with WMC recordings... I believe many people have done this, so I'm not sure why you are having problems. maybe you just have to wait a bit longer after a program is recorded before trying to process it? Also know that you cannot use MCEBuddy (or any other program that processes video) with DRM protected recordings, as they are encrypted. So I suppose if the videos you are trying to process are DRM protected, then that may be your problem.

RedWMC

Post by RedWMC » Sun Jul 18, 2021 2:48 pm

What does your HDHomeRun say the channels are. If they are DRM; that’s likely the issue. And unfortunately DRM content can only be recorded with WMC (in my research) so moving to another thing will not allow you to use MCEBuddy to strip out commercials

Look here:

https://web.archive.org/web/20200512022 ... m-channels