Can I have extender working on 8.8.5?

Discussion of getting WMC to work on Windows 10 (unsupported)
We87

HTPC Specs: Show details

Can I have extender working on 8.8.5?

Post by We87 » Fri Jul 16, 2021 1:24 am

Been running Windows 10 Enterprise with WMC 8.8.5 just fine.

I have never set up extenders at all, except for the very very early days of WMC and those were Xbox 360's.

I just decided to get an extender on eBay recently, Linksys DMA 2200, for another TV in the house and to my surprise it's not letting me set it up. WMC immediately says configuration error.

Is there anything I can do?

technodevotee

Post by technodevotee » Fri Jul 16, 2021 4:33 am

MS have constantly increased the security in all their Operating Systems so unless you are running an unpatched early version of Windows, 3rd party extenders no longer work.

I did a lot of work trying to get extenders working (viewtopic.php?f=8&t=12813) and it seems that the situation is even worse now than it was then because even an Xbox appears to have stopped working.

EZEd

Post by EZEd » Fri Jul 16, 2021 3:57 pm

As techno indicated...you may be able to get an XB360 to work sort of but the Linksys and Ceton Echos are less than useless at this point. I've got 2 Linksys 2200s in my attic right now collecting dust for that very reason. I sort of got an XB360 working with Win10885 but it's mostly just an experiment right now. I am definitely not dependent on it any longer for distributed viewing. The 360 is still being used sometimes as a games machine and since it still has the functionality, I try to keep it alive but I have in all honesty completely abandoned WMC from a dependable use standpoint and it is only now a tinker toy just to stay current with this forum and what's going on.

technodevotee

Post by technodevotee » Fri Jul 16, 2021 5:37 pm

EZEd wrote: Fri Jul 16, 2021 3:57 pm As techno indicated...you may be able to get an XB360 to work sort of but the Linksys and Ceton Echos are less than useless at this point. I've got 2 Linksys 2200s in my attic right now collecting dust for that very reason. I sort of got an XB360 working with Win10885 but it's mostly just an experiment right now. I am definitely not dependent on it any longer for distributed viewing. The 360 is still being used sometimes as a games machine and since it still has the functionality, I try to keep it alive but I have in all honesty completely abandoned WMC from a dependable use standpoint and it is only now a tinker toy just to stay current with this forum and what's going on.
I bought a Linksys, a Ceton Echo and an Xbox 360 purely to try and figure out why Media Center extenders had stopped working but after spending six months or so playing around, I gave it up as a bad job. I was lucky enough to sell on the linksys.

We used the Xbox until the novelty of playing Ten Pin Bowling and thrashing round the circuits in Forza wore off. It was a rather frustrating experience for me though because it gets very hot, makes a lot of noise and is very picky about which DVDs it will play. I've still got the Xbox and the Ceton Echo but can't see either of them getting used - anyone want some paperweights?

We87

Post by We87 » Sat Jul 17, 2021 10:28 am

Well, I had no idea lol I tested win 7 just to be sure (and just to verify the eBay item actually works) and it did. So no extender for me. Oh well. Thanks guys for the replies.

I know there is a ton of talk around the internet and here about what's "new" but I am curious, what did you guys migrate to? I understand WMC is on its last leg but at this point I'm so invested in it, it all "works" and everyone in the house can use it with ease.

I personally use emby for downloaded content and that works great. But I like the emby WMC plugin and that's one of the reasons I've stuck with it for so long.

StinkyImp

Post by StinkyImp » Sat Jul 17, 2021 2:45 pm

We87 wrote: Sat Jul 17, 2021 10:28 amI know there is a ton of talk around the internet and here about what's "new" but I am curious, what did you guys migrate to? I understand WMC is on its last leg but at this point I'm so invested in it, it all "works" and everyone in the house can use it with ease.
I agree with being invested and everyone being used to it so I'll hang on until the bitter end. I'm with you, there will come a time when I HAVE to do something different. Over the past 5 or 6 years I've been trying out alternatives (Kodi, Plex, NextPVR, Emby, etc) that I can run on my existing equipment. In every case I've run into either no WAF or it's too taxing on my equipment.

Currently I have a relative that wants to cut the cord and asked me for some assistance. Their criteria is fairly restrictive so I looked for a solution that included very little equipment, was unobtrusive, easy to use, has DVR functions, and has a TON of entertainment value.

What I found was Tablo + Roku = Satisfies their requirements. I purchased a Tablo ($80) and a Roku Express ($22) to experiment with using my existing infrastructure. So for a little over $100 I'm into a potential replacement for WMC.

At this point not only does it pass the WAF, it's modern enough to continue into the future. The lifetime guide costs the equivalent of about 7 years of Schedules Direct subscriptions. We fully intend to watch and record TV for the next 7 (or more) years so the value is there.

My family and I are currently satisfied that when the time comes... this combination will be our WMC replacement.

EZEd

Post by EZEd » Sun Jul 18, 2021 2:12 am

Yeah I'm running Emby as my main server. I also have Plex, JRiver and ChannelsDVR. Channels does most of my recording for streaming and OTA channels out of Hdhomerun. I have AT&T TV for streaming service. I get my combined m3u playlist for At&t, Pluto and Homerun out of Channels then load it to Emby so I can watch everything from one place. Channels can be used to watch as well but that's all that it does...TV and recording. Emby can do recording but Channels engine is more robust and more configurable. I can no longer get cablecard tv so my need to use WMC went away. I am 100% streaming and OTA now. I have both Android TV and Roku devices at all TVs. Expect for my Samsung TV which has Tizen apps built in. Emby is one of them. But Channels only runs on Android, Apple and Windows.

StinkyImp

Post by StinkyImp » Sun Jul 18, 2021 4:01 pm

EZEd wrote: Sun Jul 18, 2021 2:12 amYeah I'm running Emby as my main server. I also have Plex, JRiver and ChannelsDVR... I have AT&T TV for streaming service. I get my combined m3u playlist for At&t, Pluto and Homerun out of Channels then load it to Emby so I can watch everything from one place...
:lolno: If I read this to my relatives they'd go screaming to the hills. To say they're "less than interested" in bulky, complex computer based solutions would be an understatement. That's the beauty of designing a brand new system from scratch that's simple, yet very entertainment inclusive.

The Tablo is a "set it and forget it" device. They'll never need to think about it once it's installed and configured. The network version doesn't even have a remote! If a re-scan (or anything else) is required I can remote into it. If it needs to be replaced for some reason, they simply need to disconnect the three wires from the back and plug them into a new unit. I remote in to configure -> Done!

Roku's are so simple even a caveman toddler can operate them. The remote is so minimalistic it's trivial to learn and it's perfect for people with children and/or don't want something complex.

It's sad to say but... When WMC dies, my household and I are becoming cavemen toddlers. :D

We87

Post by We87 » Sun Jul 18, 2021 7:53 pm

StinkyImp wrote: Sat Jul 17, 2021 2:45 pm What I found was Tablo + Roku = Satisfies their requirements. I purchased a Tablo ($80) and a Roku Express ($22) to experiment with using my existing infrastructure. So for a little over $100 I'm into a potential replacement for WMC.
i have never heard it a tablo before? That's very interesting. I'm assuming there's a tablo Roku "channel" or whatever they call it that you just click on to see all the recorded tv? That's very interesting

EZEd wrote: Sun Jul 18, 2021 2:12 am Yeah I'm running Emby as my main server. I also have Plex, JRiver and ChannelsDVR. Channels does most of my recording for streaming and OTA channels out of Hdhomerun. I have AT&T TV for streaming service. I get my combined m3u playlist for At&t, Pluto and Homerun out of Channels then load it to Emby so I can watch everything from one place. Channels can be used to watch as well but that's all that it does...TV and recording. Emby can do recording but Channels engine is more robust and more configurable. I can no longer get cablecard tv so my need to use WMC went away. I am 100% streaming and OTA now. I have both Android TV and Roku devices at all TVs. Expect for my Samsung TV which has Tizen apps built in. Emby is one of them. But Channels only runs on Android, Apple and Windows.
Oh man that's all very interesting! So channel's dvr I'm assuming only works with a hdhomerun, correct? So no hauppauge USB tuner support?

When you say you pull your m3u playlist from channels to watch in emby, I don't understand. Can you elaborate a little bit please?

And lastly if I am understanding you correctly, emby has taken over as your front end at all clients and TV's (over WMC) which makes everything remote friendly. Yes?

StinkyImp

Post by StinkyImp » Mon Jul 19, 2021 2:42 pm

We87 wrote: Sun Jul 18, 2021 7:53 pmi have never heard it a tablo before? That's very interesting. I'm assuming there's a tablo Roku "channel" or whatever they call it that you just click on to see all the recorded tv? That's very interesting
That was the beauty (and surprise) of designing a system "from scratch". I was untethered from existing equipment and OS's and able to explore new and shiny gadgets. That's how I discovered the Tablo. When coupled with a Roku, it becomes a practical WMC substitute replacement.

Not only is there a Tablo tile in the Roku, it's on EVERY Roku on the LAN. So from any TV, phone, tablet, computer, etc. on the LAN, a user has the ability to watch live TV, schedule recordings, and watch or modify recordings. Both devices have clean, modern, easy to use interfaces.

The things that WMC can do that this can't are almost nonexistent. The things it can do that WMC can't have simply blown me away. Now that I've been testing this setup I'm less not concerned about the demise of WMC. ;)

lila.godel

Post by lila.godel » Fri Jul 23, 2021 1:51 pm

I starting using WMC in November 2007 running on Windows Vista and later Windows 7 (details at https://lila.godel.com/html/tddvrs.htm and https://lila.godel.com/html/thdhrps.htm).

In July of 2017 in anticipation of Windows 7 no longer being able to get security patches starting sometime in 2020 I switched from WMC running on Windows 7 on a 2004 computer to the SiliconDust DVR software running on Windows 10 on a 2017 computer.

EZEd

Post by EZEd » Sun Jul 25, 2021 5:15 am

Tablo is similar to HDHomeRun. They are both network tuners. Tablo I believe has DVR built in. A standard HomeRun is just a tuner. The DVR is a software piece. You can use HD's DVR software or use third party like Channels, Emby, Plex, JRiver etc. Silicondust does now have a hardware DVR that is much like Tablo called Servio and Scribe (two different units). You can check their website for details. I'm not interested in hardware solutions like Servio, Scribe, Tablo or TiVO because the functionality is redundant if you're already invested in PC based or NAS based media serving.

Just check Channels DVR website and it explains their product. Same with HomeRun. I'm not sure about all of the tuners that Channels supports as I only have HomeRun. It's possible it works with Tablo too (the tuner part anyway). The DVR functionality would again be redundant between the two since they do the same thing.

Getting Channels to generate an M3U playlist is not difficult but does have specific requirements and requires effort. Again best thing to do is head to their forum and get the instructions. Then you'll need to head to Emby or Plex forums to determine how to load the playlist into their virtual tuning implementation. It's cool as hell as to how it works but it's not for the faint of heart.

@StinkyImp, if they're not into majorly technical things I wouldn't recommend a PC or NAS media serving solution to your family folks as you would be responsible for setting it all up and keeping it running. But that's no different from WMC in it's hay-day. I loved it because I was really into that stuff but I wouldn't advocate it to any of my family folks that weren't into techie stuff like I was...no matter how much they begged me. Because I knew that if I set up for them what I had, then I'd have to maintain two (or more) systems and all but mine would not be under my immediate local control. I wasn't going to jump into that can of snakes.

StinkyImp

Post by StinkyImp » Sun Jul 25, 2021 12:01 pm

EZEd wrote: Sun Jul 25, 2021 5:15 am@StinkyImp, if they're not into majorly technical things I wouldn't recommend a PC or NAS media serving solution to your family folks as you would be responsible for setting it all up and keeping it running. But that's no different from WMC in it's hay-day. I loved it because I was really into that stuff but I wouldn't advocate it to any of my family folks that weren't into techie stuff like I was...no matter how much they begged me. Because I knew that if I set up for them what I had, then I'd have to maintain two (or more) systems and all but mine would not be under my immediate local control. I wasn't going to jump into that can of snakes.
Amen Brother! :clap: