Multiple USB tuners causing issue?

Discussion of getting WMC to work on Windows 10 (unsupported)
We87

HTPC Specs: Show details

Multiple USB tuners causing issue?

Post by We87 » Tue Jul 13, 2021 12:17 am

Windows 10 Enterprise, WMC 8.8.5
Hauppauge USB tuners 950, 850

So I've been using two 850 USB tuners for a good while now without issue, on previous WMC builds and previous windows versions. Recently I upgrade to Windows 10 and installed WMC 8.8.5. and going through the setup process with latest hauppauge drivers I have tried to do a different combination of 950, and 850 tuners and I always end up with one tuner working perfectly and the other one not getting signal and unable to tune to any channel.

I have tried two 850's, two 950's, mixing and matching one of each, three different ones plugged in at the same time, I always end up with an issue.

If any one single tuner gets plugged in only then I have a working tuner. I have swapped antenna lines to verify it's not the antenna lead, they all give good signal strength as long as it's on a single tuner. I have even verified the antenna lead going into the TV's tuner and they all have good signal strength with that going into the tv.

Is there something special that needs to be done for multiple hauppauge tuners to work with eachother? Is this a limitation of Windows 10? Does anyone have experience with multiple hauppauge USB tuners working?

I have epg123 installed and did the multiple tuner trick, even though I am under the 4 limit just to try, and that did nothing to help. I am at this point confused and don't know what else I can try next. Any advice would be appreciated.

stuartm

Post by stuartm » Tue Jul 13, 2021 12:52 am

Do the tuners all show in the device manager?

We87

Post by We87 » Tue Jul 13, 2021 4:40 am

Yes they do

technodevotee

Post by technodevotee » Tue Jul 13, 2021 8:17 am

Does WMC recognise them all as well?

You say they are listed but only one works?

I wonder if the driver has problems when being used reentrantly, although from what you say, this problem is peculiar to Windows 10.

I have never had a problem with multiple internal tuners of the same model although I haven't used USB tuners for years and never on Windows 10 but I did have a problem where Windows 10 wouldn't see two identical USB flash drives at the same time. It resolved itself after a while and started working.

I'm sure you already looked but I can't see anything on the web that refers to the exact problem you are having.

One thing you could try is looking at the registry to see if WMC sees them as different devices. The entries are in HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Media Center\Service\Video\Tuners

We87

Post by We87 » Sat Jul 17, 2021 10:30 am

I actually had no listings on they particular registry entry.

But I did figure out that it was my USB 3 card not playing nice with Windows 10. It worked in 7, and "works" in 10 but only got HDD's not multimedia devices like the tuners. No idea why.

Thanks for the info though.